Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Arnott KYB's compared to Bilstein setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arnott KYB's compared to Bilstein setup

Hey folks,
I have a 01 allroad with the KYB conversion on it and in the proces of changing over to the Bilstein set. Why? because I had a clunking issue and they sent me new rears, but let me upgrade the whole set to the newer bilstein set for a small fee. Are there any differences I should expect?
Old 01-23-2010, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Generally Bilstein are a bit stiffer than KYB, but that can vary a bit depending on the shock. You probably won't be able to feel much difference.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Big improvement! 2 week report.

I too have a 2001 that had the clunking noises from the rear with the Arnott KYB setup. The new kit has been on two weeks. Solid ride now(before it felt like the rear wanted to jump around over small bumps), noises gone. German car ride. Very happy.

Just an FYI:
The shop I used replaced the nut(as supplied from Arnott) on top that holds the shock and spring together with a locking type. I am told Stasis Engineering uses a locking type nut and based on experience they(my shop) took the Arnott stuff apart and re-assembled.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, so should I replace the nuts with a locknut? I guess does it seem like the nut would be prone to coming loose. I would assume they would've installed them automatically or at least used lock-tite. I suppose I couls loosen the nut, apply lock-tite and re-tighten. Any thoughts or should I call them and ask what the situation is.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Changed the rears last night. The change over went fairly smooth with a few small catches.
1: lower bushing on KYB is 1 7/8" and the Bilstein in about 2 1/4".
2: The kyb has 10 coils and the bilstein has 6.
At first I thought I had the wrong parts and called Arnott and they claim they were correct. The rep said the Kyb set were to narrow, which was the source of the noise. So, we some grinding because I figured the control was crushed a little from the kyb install and with a little help from a mallet they went in.
Th ride heigth is about the same, maybe 1/4-1/2" higher. Bump noise is gone and the ride might be a little firmer. No big change.
Next weeks plan is to swap the fronts.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the origianl Bilstein set from Arnott. I had installed the KYB set initially, but I also experienced rear end noises, bottoming out, and an almost loss of rear end control over the smallest bumps. They upgraded my set at no charge and even reimbursed the reinstallation fee that my indy charged. I can't say enough about their customer service.

As far as ride goes, I can say the Bilsteins are a little more robust feeling struts. They made a night and day difference for me. But then again, they had to send me a second set of rears because the springs were way too soft. They finally got it right and I love the ride. I was actually so frustrated at one point that I stopped driving the car until they got me a working setup. And believe me, I let them know every little thing I was experiencing. They were simply awesome. Adam even replied with his cell phone number at one point and had me communicate directly with him. Again, superb customer service. And great product (now) ;-)