Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Rack and Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack and Pinion

The Power Steering went out on our 2002 Allroad. I have been using this thread to try and remove it myself.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc-40.shtml

I found the top two bolts, but can't find the bolt underneath. Is there a third bolt?

Any tips for removing the rack and pinion for this year of Allroad would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onbelay
I found the top two bolts, but can't find the bolt underneath. Is there a third bolt?

Thanks
There is a third bolt. It cannot normally be seen from under the car due to heat shields and the exhaust manifold being in the way. I got to it with a careful choice of 3/8 extensions and a single swivel joint. My last extension had a wobble connection that the socket attached too. You’ll have to experiment to get this combination right. There is a notch in a heat shield just below the head of this bolt. It may not be lined up directly under it. You're lucky if it does.

Remove the left outer tie rod end, wheel well liner, plastic shield for the rack boot, and the rack boot through the left wheel well. Disconnect the pressure and return hoses and tuck them out of the way. Have someone else feed the socket on the extensions up from below. Reaching through the wheel well and under the rack, you will blindly guide the socket onto the bolt head. Now have your assistant unscrew the bolt.

Before installing the rack, insert that bolt and wrap a piece of safety wire around the threads to retain it in the hole. Leave enough wire hanging off for you to pull on later. Slide the rack into the chassis. Loosely install the top 2 bolts. Now have someone feed the socket up from the bottom again. After 2-4 threads have been engaged in the chassis, pull on the safety wire and unwrap it from the bolt threads.

Last edited by Old_School_Audi; 02-10-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I failed to mention that removing the upper control arm pinch bolt and pulling the ball joints out of the upright will gain you the room needed to get your arm and hand under the rack.

The first time you do this job will take a few hours. If you lack any patience at all, don't attempt this job. My Aviation Tech friend could not believe this process to do the job right. He works inside wings and other tight areas. Remember, the rack was installed first and the drivetrain inserted later when Audi assembled it. I’ve seen cars where this bolt was never reinstalled after a rack replacement. Not a good idea to leave it off.

Last edited by Old_School_Audi; 02-10-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Old School Audi. I appreciate the input and will give that a try. Things are definitely tight in there!