Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Is this AR Worth it?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this AR Worth it?

2005 Audi AR 92K miles they are asking $9,700.00 for it

Black exterior, tan interior...

CarFax looks good, the only thing I have not seen done is the timing belt and WaterPump.

When should these be done? And what else should I look for.

Trying to become 1st time AR owner

Thanks
Old 08-02-2014, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by torturebori
2005 Audi AR 92K miles they are asking $9,700.00 for it

Black exterior, tan interior...

CarFax looks good, the only thing I have not seen done is the timing belt and WaterPump.

When should these be done? And what else should I look for.

Trying to become 1st time AR owner

Thanks
Is it a 2.7T or a 4.2 ??

If it's a 2.7T, the price is too high...should be no more than $9-9.1K.

If it's a 4.2 (MUCH PREFERRED), it's an OK price.

The timing belt should be done now...or soon.

If it's a 2.7T, run a VagCom reading to check for bad EGT sensors (exhaust gas temp...2.7 turbo only)...$500 plus for parts, plus labor (not cheap, unless you DIY).

If it's got the original front air shocks ("bags"), they're gonna go any time now...about $600 plus labor for Arnott's (aftermarket) or double that for OEM replacements.

You buy an Allroad because you want an Allroad...not for low maintenance. Get ready to spend some $$...Even when all is working well, AR's eat gas and tires like nothing else I've ever owned.

Last edited by silverd2; 08-02-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree with silverd2.
To me the 2.7t is much preferred-stick-shift only, of course. I have 2 of them. The price on that one seems a little high, even though it is an '05. Mileage is a factor here. Last October I bought my 2nd one because the first wasn't causing enough headaches anymore. It is an '03, with 96k on the clock. 6mt, of course and the timing belt service was done @ 79k. I paid $7500 for the car.
Timing belt service can run from $2200 to $2600 depending on the market you are in and whether you have it done by an indy or the dealer. So if the service has not been done, the price is way too high. I believe Audi now recommends that it be done every 70k.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

2004 2.7T 99,276 miles - $11995
Greay exterior, grey interior
carfax looks ok, but heir is 44,000 miles of none reported service

2004 2.7T 79,480 miles - $7990.00
Dark Blue exterior, dark grey light grey interior
carfax looks ok but 20,000 miles of non reported service

2004 2.7T 129,356 miles - $7495.00
Burgundy exterior, dark grey light grey interior
No Carfax ran out of uses, lol

2004 2.7T 172,255 miles - 4500.00
Grey exterior, grey interior
CarFax accident report at 10,000 miles on car,timing belt, sparkplugs changed at
114,250 miles

What do you guys think?

And so you all know I am new to Audi but Im in it to love it!

I do have a 2003 A6 3.0L
Old 08-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh by the way thanks for the replies so far....
Old 08-03-2014, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike B
I disagree with silverd2.
To me the 2.7t ...
Well, unlike most members here, maybe a personal preference (and experience) on my part...I HATE turbo motors (esp this one...horrible mpg's)...over-complication, too much heat, eats oil before it's time, etc, etc...IMHO, no advantage whatever over normal aspiration. Don't like the feel, sound, etc during hard accel, compared to sweet sound of a free breathing German V8.

At about the same curbweight, My 4.2 D2 A8 (w/auto trans) has 60 more HP, gets WAY better mpg's and even with way taller gearing, WAY out-accelerates a 2.7T AR with auto trans...so does the AR 4.2 with auto. Even the faster 6mt AR 2.7T (still not quite as fast as my D2) more than pays for it's added accel with gas destroying mpg's.

The amount/ratio of horsepower-curbweight-gas guzzling mpg's of the 2.7T makes no sense to me...What is the advantage, other than the word "turbo"?

If the answer is "more upgradable" (boost/HP), then my response is EVEN MORE gas usage (more boost = more gas) just to get it up to V8 power...a V8 with equivalent (or more) HP will STILL use WAY less gas and have way less heat and over- complication-related problems.

Cheers
Old 08-03-2014, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the published MPG (EPA fuel economy data) of the 2.7t and the 4.2 AR's?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silverd2
Well, unlike most members here, maybe a personal preference (and experience) on my part...I HATE turbo motors (esp this one...horrible mpg's)...over-complication, too much heat, eats oil before it's time, etc, etc...IMHO, no advantage whatever over normal aspiration. Don't like the feel, sound, etc during hard accel, compared to sweet sound of a free breathing German V8.

At about the same curbweight, My 4.2 D2 A8 (w/auto trans) has 60 more HP, gets WAY better mpg's and even with way taller gearing, WAY out-accelerates a 2.7T AR with auto trans...so does the AR 4.2 with auto. Even the faster 6mt AR 2.7T (still not quite as fast as my D2) more than pays for it's added accel with gas destroying mpg's.

The amount/ratio of horsepower-curbweight-gas guzzling mpg's of the 2.7T makes no sense to me...What is the advantage, other than the word "turbo"?

If the answer is "more upgradable" (boost/HP), then my response is EVEN MORE gas usage (more boost = more gas) just to get it up to V8 power...a V8 with equivalent (or more) HP will STILL use WAY less gas and have way less heat and over- complication-related problems.

Cheers
There are some good points here. I dearly love the sound and feel of my V8 S4. Immediate response, no turbo lag, etc. However, unlike silverd2, my ar's both get better gas mileage than my S4.
The real issue for me is the gearbox. If the ar 4.2 was available with a stick, it would be a hands-down favorite. I love that engine. However, there's still no such thing as a V8 ar with a 6mt. Scotty at Advanced Automotion has been working on a conversion for a long time, but as far as I know has not successfully completed it.
Personally I can't tolerate an automatic gearbox. The response to change requests is way too slow. Yes, I' drive too aggressively.
JMO.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mike B
There are some good points here. I dearly love the sound and feel of my V8 S4. Immediate response, no turbo lag, etc. However, unlike silverd2, my ar's both get better gas mileage than my S4.
The real issue for me is the gearbox. If the ar 4.2 was available with a stick, it would be a hands-down favorite. I love that engine. However, there's still no such thing as a V8 ar with a 6mt. Scotty at Advanced Automotion has been working on a conversion for a long time, but as far as I know has not successfully completed it.
Personally I can't tolerate an automatic gearbox. The response to change requests is way too slow. Yes, I' drive too aggressively.
JMO.
I "believe" that, like the S8 (which sucks gas like an AR...never wanted an S8, even when I had the budget available), the S4 has a lower final drive ratio than a stock A4, of the same vintage, to help achieve the accel performance. Most of a D2 S8's added punch comes from it's much lower final drive (same trans as A8 otherwise), NOT the 50 extra horses...those who put S8 final drives in a standard A8 have netted almost exactly the same accel numbers.

Agreed, I would love to see a 4.2 AR with a 6mt...I might actually WANT to drive it. Although my wife's AR is fun to drive in it's own way (sport truck feel), I am not a fan...I'm just her mechanic (after begging her to buy something else).

I bought my D2 because of it's total aluminum uniqueness, wonderful drive feel, incredible rigid tight build right down to NO rattling interior parts (unlike an AR)...NOT because of the trans, which was a compromise to drive this amazing car...had it 10 yrs so far and only spent a few hundred $$ in repairs and still love it every day. If they were available, I would love to have a FACTORY manual trans A8, but WOULD NOT want to deal with the expense and myriad of problems inherent with the few conversions that others have made...talk about a compromise...and regret.

Cheers
Old 08-03-2014, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by torturebori
2004 2.7T 99,276 miles - $11995
Greay exterior, grey interior
carfax looks ok, but heir is 44,000 miles of none reported service

2004 2.7T 79,480 miles - $7990.00
Dark Blue exterior, dark grey light grey interior
carfax looks ok but 20,000 miles of non reported service

2004 2.7T 129,356 miles - $7495.00
Burgundy exterior, dark grey light grey interior
No Carfax ran out of uses, lol

2004 2.7T 172,255 miles - 4500.00
Grey exterior, grey interior
CarFax accident report at 10,000 miles on car,timing belt, sparkplugs changed at
114,250 miles

What do you guys think?

And so you all know I am new to Audi but Im in it to love it!

I do have a 2003 A6 3.0L
So what about these?

So really the ou difference is the engine and less hazzle.

I do have a 2005 4.2 I can look at with only 119k on it. If reseanably priced I might go with it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this AR Worth it?