Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

AR Towing... who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch updates

Originally Posted by dcsat
I'm getting the steel together to fabricate the first hitch with J's plans.

Any updates on the progress of these hitches?
Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have purchased JustMtnB44's V1.0 trailer hitch that he built and had the chance to install it today. So far I am very impressed by it! The build quality is superb, the fit and finish is dead on and it sure beats the lame Curt hitch that hangs down and has no towing capacity while Justin estimated his at a full 5000lb/Class III hitch, and after seeing it and having it installed I am sure he is right.

Mine has the 1.25" down tube, with a 2" trailer tongue and a 2" bike carrier adapter for it, also the proper 13-to-4 wiring adapter. Kudos to Justin [up]

Since we all love some pics []:

And the rest of them HERE

BUT I was also left with a piece of padding (pic HERE and HERE)I don't remember how/where to put back, anyone have any idea where it should go? I know it came from around the driver side light/tool kit/compressor area, just not sure where anymore? [confused]
Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! That piece of foam goes around the sound amplifier in the passenger side compartment and sits about level with the floor in the cargo area.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I want one!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Allroad Hitch/Wiriing

Like most reading this thread, I just wanted to tow a small trailer with my AR. I bought my 2005 a few years ago and it had the hitch installed and the flip down wiring harness. The old owner said he never got the insert or the wiring harness with the car when it was new. Simple - or so I thought - just get the inset and the adapter and I'm all set. Yeah - right. Contact Audi - forget it. discontinued items. (This is a good reason why the Euro's will never take a large market share in the US. They don't understand customer service. Rant later) So I started looking around the internet for options and came across this thread among many others. All the the same or similar issues. So here is my solution that works for me. I had the hitch insert made by a local welding shop. I showed him some photos and he was able to make it for me pretty quickly for a reasonable charge. Then I had to deal with the wiring issue. (This is where Audi really pissed me off) Of course they decided to go to the 13 pin design. Trying to find anything for these plugs is an exercise in frustration. (of course Audi wanted nothing to do with me - discontinued is all they said) Finally I was able to find on e-bay a 13 pin Euro plug that adapted to the UK 7 pin design. (It was all of $1 plus $2.69 for shipping - just type in 13 pin to 7 pin and you'll get several options for the same thing ranging from $1 to around $15) So that got me from central Europe to the UK, now I just need to get from the UK to the US. Again, not so simple, but again went to e-bay and found a UK 7 pin plug with screw adapters to attach wires. (Total less than $10 shipped fromm the UK) Last thing was to go the parts store and buy a 5 wire to 4 wire smart box to adapt the car wiring to the trailer wiring. (Hoppy model 48845 - $12.95 and the only easy part of the project) Connected wires and it works perfect. Spent less than $25 to get it done, but it took over a 2 months to get all the parts from Hong Kong and the UK. Now for the rant on Audi and why I will probably never buy another. Like most Euro's, they don't get it. They have a crappy take it or leave attitude. This whole hitch/wiring thing is one example. The car is less than 5 years old and they discontinued parts long ago. The coil issue is another. They sold cars in this country knowing about our emissions requirements and it took a class action suit to get them to live up to their agreements. And don't get me going on the airbags for these cars. I've been to three different Audi dealers who can't accurately diagnose the issues with mine. All the tell me is they don't know why it leaks out only every now and then and that you have to replace the airbags to fix it. They even go so far as to say they won't replace them with the original equipment ones because they are junk. They only use after market bags because they are tired of customer complaints. If I had the time and energy, I think there are enough people out there for another class action suit. And to top it all off - I just got in the mail another class action suit settlement. Apparently the sun roof drains get plugged and when they do they short out the vehicle computer. Audi's solution is to tell you clean the drains more often. Nicely done German engineering!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default To all ARoaders Towing something !!

Originally Posted by Tamas
So where do we stand with this Justin? Any further development?
I am in the process, almost finished to use my AR to tow a Travel Trailer (TT) of approx 4 000 lb empty (up to 6 000 lb GVWR) i have installed a Westfalia OEM hitch that i have "slighly" modified to be able to use weight distribution bars and sway control (WD &SC Hitch). For those not familiar with that, it is a mechanism that goes in between the tow vehicule (TV) and the TT. Theoriticaly the car is strong enough to handle that. But as soon as i am over with the lights and electrical brake control connections i will conduct "real road tests". certainly next week. I will try to post few photos today of the hitch installed. Ciao!! from Montreal, QC
Old 07-24-2010, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Photos

Here is some photo of my hitch. It is not quite what i planned but it will certainly do the job. If i have to install an other hitch on a future AR a 2005 e.g. (after my 2003 will be worned out. I will manage to install a 2x2 connector that could be removed.

I have a bit of difficulties to manage my pictures here but give me a bit of time and i will get use to.....
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The "trailer"

Here is what i am planning to tow with my AR. As mentionned before it is 26,5 feet long from the "ball to the rear bumper" and it weight around 4 200 lb as is with its options. Max weight (GVWR = 6 300 lb). It has torsion Dexter axles, smooth riding.
Anxious to roadtest !!! waiting to finalize my connectors for lights and brakes....
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a pretty big trailer, I'm also curious to see how well the AR tows it. I don't think it will be a problem though. I sent your electrical connector via USPS this morning.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Damn! That is a big trailer! I am sure you will have no problems going forward, but stopping might be an issue, so I hope you are adding e-brakes. As well as the wind, is the ar "heavy" enough if the wind catches the side of that thing?

Do tell how the test drive goes.

Quick Reply: AR Towing... who's done it?