Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

AR Towing... who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha I figured as much. I just called my local dealer to confirm and while that part still shows up in the system, there are none available anywhere.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful job on the hitch! I wish I'm as handy as you with designing and metal working. If you're ready to make some more for fellow ar owners, please let me know. I live near Morgantown WV and find myself often enough in Pittsburgh.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was just checking out the EU westfella hitch ratings here:

http://allroadfaq.com/downloads/mods...all_au0637.pdf

No BS... Rated for 2500Kg = 5511 pounds! Esentially the same hitch.

Can't wait to tow... as soon as I can build it!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chris@ECStuning
Let me start by saying: "Wow is that killer work on that Tow Hitch!!" followed by "I hope I got to chime in before you alter your present wiring."

Second: I hope I'm not too late on this for you. For what it is worth we have the European 13 Pin Towing Wiring Harness on sale right now for 83% off. This would allow you to 'plug and play' add a ES03 style 13 pin European style plug for use on caravans. I know it isn't US Spec but it might drastically aid you in figuring out a wiring configuration for US spec trailers. Or at least prevent you from having to hack up your stock wiring attempting to make something work. Just some food for thought! Once again, AMAZING work!

Click here for the Wiring Harness for Towing
Is it easy to find a converter from the 13 pin european to teh 4 pin englsih?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok I finally got around to finishing the swing down electrical connector for my hitch. It's close, but doesn't clear the bumper trim "skid plate" piece. So I will have to redesign that slightly. Looking at it again today, I don't think a 2" receiver will fit in there. Maybe with the skid plate removed, but it would be very close. The hitch would require greater accuracy in the build process as well. I started cleaning up my design a bit today and hope to run some FEA on it this week to finalize the design for some plans.

Originally Posted by skideeppow
Is it easy to find a converter from the 13 pin european to teh 4 pin englsih?
Not at all, I'm still looking.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
Ok I finally got around to finishing the swing down electrical connector for my hitch. It's close, but doesn't clear the bumper trim "skid plate" piece. So I will have to redesign that slightly. Looking at it again today, I don't think a 2" receiver will fit in there. Maybe with the skid plate removed, but it would be very close. The hitch would require greater accuracy in the build process as well. I started cleaning up my design a bit today and hope to run some FEA on it this week to finalize the design for some plans.

Not at all, I'm still looking.
So i take it that his piece zaw808003 13 to 4 pin converter from audi is no longer available?
how long till you might be able to sell one of those hitch set ups?
lastly, anyone have any idea how much the curt hitch is spec'd out for? 2000lbs? 1000lbs?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skideeppow
So i take it that his piece zaw808003 13 to 4 pin converter from audi is no longer available?
how long till you might be able to sell one of those hitch set ups?
lastly, anyone have any idea how much the curt hitch is spec'd out for? 2000lbs? 1000lbs?
Yes it's no longer available from Audi. I just found one that might work here http://www.eurohitches.com/index.php...products_id=55.
I'm not sure yet. I am going to finalize the design in the next week or two and make some plans for those that want to build their own. I'm not sure if I will make any more to sell. I was going to, it would probably work best if I did a batch of say 10 at once as opposed to building them individually as needed. The Curt hitch is rated for 2000 lbs.

Would anyone be interested in a hitch that was not hidden like OEM and had a standard 2" horizontal receiver, but mounted in the same fashion as OEM? This would eliminate the need for custom ball mounts and allow the use of standard bike racks. The only off the shelf ball mounts I can find for a vertical 1-1/4" receiver suck and I'm fairly certain a 2" vertical receiver won't fit without removing the rear "skid plate" if at all.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd be interested in one of your hitches.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would be interested as well
Old 04-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll be interested too.

Quick Reply: AR Towing... who's done it?