Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

APR ECU upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR ECU upgrade

So I have been trying to search on APR for threads about upgrade to the 2.7TT

Have seen some posts but nothing real recent. I am considering this upgrade on my 05 with 97K on it. Looking for some feedback on true increase in power, performance, fuel consumption, and any issues I should be aware of. Bottom line those have done this, are they satisfied - and what problems.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok. I was like you about 2 weeks ago after I bought my 05 allroad.

I drove the car for about 1 week before I felt it needed more power. I took it to the shop and they flashed the ECU in about 40 mins, in and out. They told me being that mine was an auto, best to put just the one map on it. I chose the 91 Oct map and that was it. Initially, I'll be honest, it didn't seem that much faster to me. It was faster for sure, but the numbers claimed to be gained seemed so huge, I guess I had over psyched myself out.

But after a little more driving, you could really tell about the torque. Overtaking was a breeze. It was definitely more noticeable. Not sure if it was "learning"? I really don't know.

Now I love the car. Its a very aggressive feeling. Gas mileage? I am not too sure about improvements since I never really payed attention before the flash and didn't have the car long enough.

Are there any issues, yes. This might be a coincidence and I guess now is a good time to ask too:

Does the flash alter the transmission in anyway? I feel a "kick" now that wasn't there before in downshifts. I don't like it much.

One thing I loved about the allroad the first week I had it was how smooth it drove. My other car is a Z4M roadster which is harsh. I welcomed the laid-back drive of the audi. But that nagging "kick" is getting hard for me to ignore.

If I was told that's how its supposed to be, then no issues. Guess I'll live with it. I was always concerned about the power increase on a stock tranny, so I have this feeling I might have broken something. And I find I baby the car actually trying to get that MPG gauge to stay over 13.7L/100KM

Knowing what I know now and my annoying new tranny trait, will I still have done the flash, 100% YES!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a TCM software flash for the Allroad out there also, but I don't know much about it. As for the transmission, just make sure its in good shape, as it can have issues when they old.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good that you waited this long to do it...
1) you know that there are no underlying issue with your car by putting some miles on it and
2) they now can do bench tuning so your car is not down for days while your ecu is shipped out !

I would be very disappointed with any tuning if I didn't notice an immediate increase in performance

On our little 211hp/253 lbft 2.0T the increase was in the 50 HP and 80lbft range, which is QUITE noticeable - i.e. in the 25 to 30% range...

we are more than pleased with the cost, process, performance, AND mpg !

All my previous cars/trucks I've tuned spoiled me such that I hated driving de-tuned !!!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

pros - more power, more torque, 5-10% increase in gas mileage, smoother throttle response.

cons - its not free
Old 01-11-2012, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the rough shift is from dsp, vag com the second to last digit to 3 into sport mode. no other flashing needed. also male sure you do the kick down adaptaion in the engine control modual, basic settings 63 after you do 60.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

best mod I did

the car is a beast now

mine is a 6 speed tho

the auto trans would scare me
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by choptt
the rough shift is from dsp, vag com the second to last digit to 3 into sport mode. no other flashing needed. also male sure you do the kick down adaptaion in the engine control modual, basic settings 63 after you do 60.
You have no idea how noob I am

Ok. Let me see if I get what you're telling me.

I need to get the car to someone with a VAG-COM tool, tell them to:
"Change the second to last digit to 3 in sport mode"?

"Make sure the kick down adaptation in ECU is changed from 63 to 60?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Torque increase is quite astounding on 2.7t engine.

Fuel consumption - expect much less MPG if you're accelerating fast most of times. If you drive is easy, you should see no change.

Reliability - now here is the catch. When you chip allroad, you're increasing boost pressure twice fold and will develop problems as a result in worn out parts. Throttle boot is known to rip,boost leaks develop, faulty DV valves rear their heads etc but there is nothing as bad as blowing up turbos which is what happened to me after I chipped my car. 500 miles after getting a flash my turbo died which led to what my car currently is, which is a full blown stage 3 AR with over 400hp on the wheels (~500 on crank).

I am not saying your turbos will blow but be ready for big expenses.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

my car has had an apr tune for a LONG time, knock wood, turbos have 200,000 miles on them still boostin away!

Quick Reply: APR ECU upgrade