Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Anyone try an aftermarket hitch? I need it just for bicycles...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got more than enough but still love my hitch mount

As tempted as it sounds, Ive got to finish the swaps at hand for what Ive got. BGT will get a 13B and the MGA a Zetec that Ive converted to RWD. After all that is said and done, I might think about taking on another project. Who knows though, biking will probably jump squarely into my path/ money flow.

Ive always been fascinated by TT racing. Tried Crit racing and hated the whole pack of people riding 100+ miles. Individual effort seems a lot more my style. I was Retul'd so I knew what size and set up to be looking for. Bought one and now am just waiting for the racing to happen. In the mean time, I ride mountain pretty exclusively and when you add up the weight of disc brakes, strong wheels, long travel in the front and rear along with weird designs in order to keep these rubber side down, the weight is more than a fork mount can handle and more than I want to lift over my head on a regular basis.

It is true that there are drawbacks to each but I feel that hitch is the most protected of the two types. I can even do trail repairs and tunes on my hitch mount which can not be done on a fork mount. There is a little kick back/ road spray off the rear onto the bike but that only makes it up to the rim whereas on top, it would be subjected to everything.

Its like the type of riding you do...to each his own.