Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Anybody have an alternator failure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is begin to act up, went to the mech today, he recons 3 days withou the car... apparently he needs to deface my baby! It's only got 133000km on the clock. So I'm in 2 minds if I should attempt this myself or if it might be too much for me to handle... any pointers would be welcome!

Oh and it seems the replacement part from the dealers come at a really good price of almost 2000(USD)

Good luck with getting yours sorted markspoon
Old 11-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had my alternator replaced at about 165k km at a cost of ZAR10k. (Just over US$1400). No probs since (now at 289k km).....

Hey AllroaderVince, looks like we are countrymen. Read in a previous post you just recently bought your AR. Hope you did not steal the black one in Centurion from under my nose...... ;-)
Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GetafiX
Had my alternator replaced at about 165k km at a cost of ZAR10k. (Just over US$1400). No probs since (now at 289k km).....

Hey AllroaderVince, looks like we are countrymen. Read in a previous post you just recently bought your AR. Hope you did not steal the black one in Centurion from under my nose...... ;-)
Holy COW! 10kZAR, no way I'm paying that right now, just got the car a couple of weeks ago, so I guess I'll be doing the self repair then, TG I don't have 2 left hands...

GetafiX, indeed we are countrymen, I'm the Dutch version though ... no 2 tone shirt though! No, did not steal the black one in Centurion, wasn't even aware there was one on the market now, where did you see the ad for the black one?

You stay in Centurion area? Maybe you should come experience some diy alternator removal!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Still waiting on the new Alternator (had to ship from USA to Oz). My mechanic managed to get the old one out without taking the front off the car though.
Good luck with your Allroads, so far in a year and a half my precious little princess has cost me over $10k
- new bilsteins
- new front air suspension
- new transmission (6k)
- new alternator
- fuel and wiper pumps (the water pump is on the way out too, but that is a front off operation so I'm holding off on that one... >$2000)
- cam and rocker seals

I'm selling the stupid thing before a turbo goes.
(and don't say "keep it, 'cause you've fixed everything" because something esle will go soon)

Tip for the day - sell your allroad.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, my alternator on my 2001 allroad just failed at 148K miles.

Anyone know how you determine which alternator i have (Valeo or Bosch) before we take the car apart for I can order the right one? Or will the 140 amp Bosch fit all of them anyway? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Now's the time to do it all...unfortunately

If you do the alternator, as others have said, it is a PITA. Depending how long ago you may have already done these, you'll probably want to do the:
- Timing belt
- Water-pump
- Cam-tensioner seals (easier to do with the front of the engine exposed.)
- front snub/engine mount
- whatever else you can't normally get at

Just like visiting the in-laws...once you're there, you want to satisfy all of the foreseeable needs or requirements, so you don't have to go back anytime soon!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by markspoon
Still waiting on the new Alternator (had to ship from USA to Oz). My mechanic managed to get the old one out without taking the front off the car though.
Good luck with your Allroads, so far in a year and a half my precious little princess has cost me over $10k
- new bilsteins
- new front air suspension
- new transmission (6k)
- new alternator
- fuel and wiper pumps (the water pump is on the way out too, but that is a front off operation so I'm holding off on that one... >$2000)
- cam and rocker seals

I'm selling the stupid thing before a turbo goes.
(and don't say "keep it, 'cause you've fixed everything" because something esle will go soon)

Tip for the day - sell your allroad.
Got ya beat! Throw in the turbo's plus a whole bunch of other stuff you don't have listed, and I'm over $15k.

Do you get tired of saying, "Yes, $__k just to keep it running."?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Im wondering why you guys are seeing such high prices for new alternators... my dealer just quoted me $500 for a OEM alternator and $300 for the install.

When I bought my AR used it came with an aftermarket alternator which is now intermittently squealing like a banshee... yet functioning