Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad water pump failed at 144k miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad water pump failed at 144k miles

My 2005 Audi Allroad 2.5 Diesel with 144k 0n the clock drives like an Audi should.
Performance handling and comfort are superb making it a joy to drive. However , a couple of weeks ago on a cold morning the heater that normally comes on after the first mile or so was blowing only cold air even when turned up to Hi heat.
On the way home that evening the heater blew warm a couple of times then cold again but after driving up a fairly long hill the display started flashing with an engine over temperature alarm and the temperature gauge that normally stays dead centre on the dial was now in the red. Naturally I stopped for half an hour to let it cool before carefully driving the remaining 5 miles home.
Next day I found the cooling system had not lost any water but when the engine was run for 15 minutes or so and came up to temperature the radiator was still cold. The conclusion - no coolant is circulating so it must be a failed water pump.
Checking the service history I saw that it was some 70k miles ago that the timing belt was changed so I decided that now is the time to do this as well as replace the water pump.
From a local GSF branch I bought a timing belt kit which consists of the main belt plus a set of idler pulleys that are recommended to be changed at the same time.
Because a major strip down is necessary just to get to the front of the engine I decided to go all the way and carry out a complete overhaul so I also bought a new water pump, three more belts for the air con, alternator etc. , a replacement damper unit plus a new thermostat. With a bit of negotiation the “trade price” for all the components came to a total of £247.0.
Normally an avid DIY person, this time I listened to the advice of my friendly local mechanic and after considering a few things such as the cold weather and the need for some special tools I decided to let him do the job the cost of which, including an oil change came to about another £350. Anxious to know the exact cause of the problem I asked him to retain the replaced components for inspection and I was pleased to find an obvious fault with the water pump that confirmed my diagnosis. The impeller which looks in fine condition has lost its grip on the serrated shaft and consequently been stationary as the shaft was spinning.
With hindsight the pump could easily have been repaired with a bit of basic engineering and the belt tensioners and idler pulleys are not in bad condition at all but, not to worry, the main problem is now solved and with the new belts the engine should be good for a long time to come though I do think those German engineers could have designed a better water pump !
Attached Images   
Old 03-07-2016, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I do think those German engineers could have designed a better water pump ! "

Show me any type of car of which pump can run up to 144k miles.

144k...You should have adhere to Audi service plan. You can find it in the glovebox. Since the failure of the water pump can block and thus, tear down the whole timing belt kit, the owner must change the coolant pump TOGETHER WITH the timing belt kit at every 120.000 km which is approx 75.000 miles.
You were lucky, man!

Last edited by PetrolBear; 03-07-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes but

Originally Posted by PetrolBear
"I do think those German engineers could have designed a better water pump ! "

Show me any type of car of which pump can run up to 144k miles.

144k...You should have adhere to Audi service plan. You can find it in the glovebox. Since the failure of the water pump can block and thus, tear down the whole timing belt kit, the owner must change the coolant pump TOGETHER WITH the timing belt kit at every 120.000 km which is approx 75.000 miles.
You were lucky, man!
Hi As i said the service book shows a t /belt 70k miles ago done by a main dealer so for all I know the pump could have been changed then before I got the car. Looking at the pump it would still be in good condition if the impeller had been better fixed to it's shaft possibly with splines or keyway and possibly a securing pin. I am an engineer.