Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thinking 2CPAPS!
It's a big decision to do it yourself so you should know all if's and but's. Like I said before I couldn't sleep that night after I took it apart! You said that you did wheel bearings and brakes on the car. Not bad at all! All I did to my A6 before was front brakes, wheel bearings and spark plugs! To be honest I don't even have my own garage... Had to ask my friend to use his. If you rebuilt complete VW engine, you are way better than me. Plus you have Bentley manual and V.A.G!
Now about the parts. I checked this place www.ecstuning.com/Audi-All_Road and looks ok but it's not better than Blauparts.I see Vicious fan removal tool missing or radiator holder bolts). Blauparts give you more specialty tools(complete set and parts in one box) and is a bit cheeper. Another thing is I don't see step by step instuctions (not sure but it should be in Bentley). My personal opinion is to go with Blauparts (I trust German people more), but it's up to you.
Before you attack the TB job prepare other tools and whatever you may need (easy to say right?). The way I did it was right after I got the instructions with parts I went through all sections of it and created a list of stuff and other tools I thought will be needed (some of them are mentioned inside the instructions like for example: 24 mm 12 point socket to turn the engine). Anyway, let me know if you want, I will create the list for you. It's still fresh in my mind. Or even better you said you live in Morristown,Nj right? It's about 30 min from me. I can stop by if you need help.
It's a day job and you save a ton of money, but the satisfaction after starting the motor is unbelivable! Hell yeah! You're the man after!!!
Janusz.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, we do have access to everything there (allroads too) but it's way more expensive and people make way less $$$. My close cousin has A6 too but in turbo diesel.
You're right about Kubica, he did crashed there. Year later he won his first Grand Prix on the same circuit. This crash looked terrible, his legs were sticking out from the totaled bolid! The he skipped next race in Indianapolis (my friend rent an RV and went to see the race, too bad Robert wasn't there).
Old 10-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,
for who needs some audi work done, I just found a good, reliable and honest mechanic, factory registered tehnician, in RedBank:
JA Autowerks, John Andryszrewski, 732-691-2335. Just try him out, for me he diagnosted my front vibration, fixed some leaky seals and did a fluid flush at a very reasonable price, it was worth driving 80 miles roundtrip.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by janserce79
Good thinking 2CPAPS!
It's a big decision to do it yourself so you should know all if's and but's. Like I said before I couldn't sleep that night after I took it apart! You said that you did wheel bearings and brakes on the car. Not bad at all! All I did to my A6 before was front brakes, wheel bearings and spark plugs! To be honest I don't even have my own garage... Had to ask my friend to use his. If you rebuilt complete VW engine, you are way better than me. Plus you have Bentley manual and V.A.G!
Now about the parts. I checked this place www.ecstuning.com/Audi-All_Road and looks ok but it's not better than Blauparts.I see Vicious fan removal tool missing or radiator holder bolts). Blauparts give you more specialty tools(complete set and parts in one box) and is a bit cheeper. Another thing is I don't see step by step instuctions (not sure but it should be in Bentley). My personal opinion is to go with Blauparts (I trust German people more), but it's up to you.
Before you attack the TB job prepare other tools and whatever you may need (easy to say right?). The way I did it was right after I got the instructions with parts I went through all sections of it and created a list of stuff and other tools I thought will be needed (some of them are mentioned inside the instructions like for example: 24 mm 12 point socket to turn the engine). Anyway, let me know if you want, I will create the list for you. It's still fresh in my mind. Or even better you said you live in Morristown,Nj right? It's about 30 min from me. I can stop by if you need help.
It's a day job and you save a ton of money, but the satisfaction after starting the motor is unbelivable! Hell yeah! You're the man after!!!
Janusz.
Yeap thats exactly what Im doing with the tools, good point...Thanks.. I dont have 24mm 12 point... Thanks for the help, have a couple questions.. when you isntall the camshaft locking bar tool, have to remove it to take out the belt and put it back, guest the camshaft thoesnt move easy??? or (according to manual) have to work at each camshaft remove using a puller but just loose enough to be rotated but not so loose as to wobble on camshaft..not so shure on this.the other question,mine is an allroad do you have to disconect the ac/radiator?? when you removing the front... Thanks again and yeah I'm buying those tools that dont have and im thinking and get the dvd bentley for allroad want to make shure about the air suspension, because its say have to lift the car, the dvd that I have is for A4 and there is not to much information for my exc/for the S4, same engine) Im thinking do this job next month thanks again
Old 10-15-2009, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 2cpaps
Yeap thats exactly what Im doing with the tools, good point...Thanks.. I dont have 24mm 12 point... Thanks for the help, have a couple questions.. when you isntall the camshaft locking bar tool, have to remove it to take out the belt and put it back, guest the camshaft thoesnt move easy??? or (according to manual) have to work at each camshaft remove using a puller but just loose enough to be rotated but not so loose as to wobble on camshaft..not so shure on this.the other question,mine is an allroad do you have to disconect the ac/radiator?? when you removing the front... Thanks again and yeah I'm buying those tools that dont have and im thinking and get the dvd bentley for allroad want to make shure about the air suspension, because its say have to lift the car, the dvd that I have is for A4 and there is not to much information for my exc/for the S4, same engine) Im thinking do this job next month thanks again
OK have some answers already
dont have to remove the front lock carrier just move forward into service position wonder if you get enouch space, I think is around 3", (found the dimensions of this bolts "3369 special tool" (crazy expensive $60) they coming with the kit rented on blau parts right? anyway I'm thinking to make those, good to have it for future services.
found all these tools (TB service) in case somebody need in www.zdmak.com
Old 10-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi, you will mostlikly need to lift the car. Not a lot, just enough to crawl underneath. I lifted one side (front) then dropped it on the jack stand, then lifted the other side and put another jack stand. Rear of the car stayed on the floor. Now you can get to crankshaft and lock it with the tool. Another reason for lifting is to remove the belly pan.
Now about the cam shafts. The reason you install the tool on cams is to lock them in the right position. Timing belt will come off with the tool being on with no problems. Whatever you do DO NOT remove the tool when the belt is out! If the cam change position you're ****ed. The tool is only pressed in against the cams so if you play with the timing belt it may slide out. I used zip tights to keep the tool on place at all times. Remember if one of the camshaft pullies is off by a tooth you're in trouble. Take care and let me know if you need more help.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I forgot about A/C question. In the Blauparts there were 2 long bolts with plastic ball at the end of them. You need to screw those bolts in top bumper shock mounting bolt holes. This will allow you to slide the Radiator, A/C condensor/fan assembly forward so you have more room to work on TB. These long bolts will support the weight of the whole assembly (barely, so try not to lean on the radiator too much). You do not need to disconnect A/C system at all. Only radiator needs to be disconnected (2 hoses). Remember about oil cooler to separte it from radiator assembly and tuck it under the car (do not disconnect the lines and be gentle wit it).
I have to tell you about cam shaft seals. To replace them is risky, because the cam locking tool has to come off and cam pulley has to come off *** well (I dont have to remind you what happens if cam shaft turns a notch!). In the Blauparts they recomend not to touch them if they are not leaking. They supply the seals anyway in case if they leaks. I asked a mechanic with 40+ years of experiance (on cars, trucks, buses and construction equipment), and he said I shouldn't touch them if they are not leaking. He said he saw in his looong career they may last as long as the car. Of course this decision you have to take on your own. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

10-18-2009, 02:37 PM #27
Hey janserce79 how is your audi running
I just start with the timing belt job and so far so good