Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default allroad timing belt

Hi I live in New Jersey and need to make timing belt service on my 2004 allroad 2.7T 75,000 miles, any suggestions for a good place, I also have a 2000 1.8T avant and I do all the services w/exception of the timing belt. have a good mechanic, change the belt at 103,00 on my avant but doesnt work on 2.7 engines so Im looking for a trust place Im really scare of the dealers, see a lot of comments online and in my personal opinion and my little mechanic skills I know these are great cars but the dealers make the people scare of them, parts you can find it online at very good prices I dont believe when people said these are luxury cars so you have to paid for them... there is a lot of luxury cars around there audi is not the only one, not because is an audi you'll pay $8,000 for a belt service just because they found other problems according to them (or surprises for you) on the car, I dont have a problem paying $2500 for a belt service (a japanese or american car the cost of timing belt service is pretty much the same)I'll pay for a honest job but according to a lot of people that's a word that audi dealers doesnt know the (trust)... thats why I make myself all the services to my cars (excep/timing belt)
I did this comment because people had bad experience with this cars. just because audi dealers are not good or trust doesnt mean that audi is not a good car... japanese, american, european they all have excellent luxury cars today, in personal I like european thats it,
I just took my 1.8 to a long trip to canada (5,000 miles)and that car at 120mph was like was going at 50, confortable, safe.... had a realy nice trip, so...
I found this place, Edge motors, any comments?? thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

What part of NJ are u In. I had my TB/water pump done @ T&D Auto 7805 Montgomery Ave
Elkins PA 19027 215-782-3150. Excellent work. fair prices.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While T&D is an excellent shop and owned by one of our own allroaders, they are significantly far from NJ being out in PA.

you said NJ..Edge is up in Havestraw NY.
But edge has a good reputation and they are not costly.

KMD in Mountainside the shop of choice. Danny has been supporting the Audiworld community for many years. He was audi trained as is his staff. Rt 22 West.
http://kmdtuning.com/

If you want Queens NY with subway access then Tyrol Sport in Richmond.
http://www.tyrolsport.com/

I've used both..simply great work and incredibly honest.

A TB Job on an allroad is about 1000-1400 depending on the shop, parts etc.

If you really need northern NJ/Southern Westchester hop over to the NJ/NY forum on www.quattroworld.com and ask for suggestions.

Last edited by paulroad; 10-11-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Far depends on what part of NJ you live in, its only 40 mins from me.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just did my TB yesterday (100K). I looked for every option and the prices are rediculous. I got a friend in north Jersey that will help you for $500 + parts. The parts I got from blauparts.com Their kit comes with both belts, upgraded water pump, cam seals, pulley and tensioner, coolant, free termostat, step by step instruction on how to attack the job. They also rent the tools for $38! So the kit + tools came to $291. After I got the parts, I decided to do it by myself (never done it before). The car runs like a champ! If you need more info, let me know. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2009, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

congrads janserce79! trying to decide if i wanna tackle this on my '01, but u might just be the inspiration i need.
would appreciate your personal take on what to avoid and just general advice on the TB job.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you Ertatta.
I'll start from saying I got scared after reading some horror stories on the forum about lost timing. After getting some quotes from Audi dealer my jaw dropped (TB parts alone over $800, for having the job done there $1700). Maybe for others it's worth paying but in my case with wedding in 5 months I gave it a second thought.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My buddy offered help for $500 and I had to get the parts. I found on this forum german company that make TB kits. WWW.BLAUPARTS.COM (I'm from Europe and I think german engineering and quality is very good)Up to this point I was gonna have my buddy do the job (he had the right tools), but on the website I found the option of renting complete set of tools for the job with detailed step by step instructions for $38(pictures included)!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The down side of it they hold a $300 deposit, however you'll get it back if nothing is broken. You have the tools for 10 days after that it's a $10 fee per day. Everyone I talked to said the tools is a MUST (I agree). Lady on the phone said I will have the tools in 3 days max(I had them on hand exactly as she said). So I decided to take the challange in my own hands.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Last Friday after work I started removing front bumper and found first problem. The pictures were from A6 2.8 or 3.0. They show clearly 2 horns with the connectors . My A6 is 2.7T so all I saw was intercoolers. It was not a big problem but I got the point not to follow directions religiously. I pulled out the bumper slightly first and then disconnected the horns without a problem. Another minor issue from "greenhorn" standpoint was that some of the pictures didn't really showed me the area of the car so locating some items took me a lot of time (for exemple: the bolt that covers hole for crankshaft locking tool was hidden under the car just above sway bar with almost no access to it.

Quick Reply: allroad timing belt