Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad suspension - Arnott bags, Bilstein shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Allroad suspension - Arnott bags, Bilstein shocks

My rear shocks (stock) wore out; replaced with Bilstein from Arnott. Currently rear: Bilstein shocks, stock air bags.

Front: Finally determined that they leak (level 1/2 only, sometimes not at all). Went with Gen II from Arnott (supposed to be a bit stiffer). Current front: Arnott Gen II air bags, stock shocks.

I like the car sitting low (402 mod), but ride quality is not great. 'Bouncy' (NOT hard, just bouncy) is the best description. I'd say front mostly.

Could it be that Gen II springs do not work well with stock shocks (under dampened)? Stock shocks don't feel worn (no 'post swinging up/down').
Old 12-17-2011, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Gen II's and Bilsteins. Yes, in warm weather the ride is bouncy in L1, especially if you've 402'd it. I did; 22mm. So mostly I ride in L2 during the warm months because it's more comfortable, particularly with more than just me on board. Then I drop it to L1 for parking in the driveway where everyone can see how good it looks.
However, when the temp gets below 30 degrees, the suspension stiffens up substantially and it's just good and firm and not bouncy in L1. It's a shame it can't be that stiff all the time cause it goes around corners better too.
Yes, I'm crazy.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike B
I went with Gen II's and Bilsteins. Yes, in warm weather the ride is bouncy in L1, especially if you've 402'd it. I did; 22mm. So mostly I ride in L2 during the warm months
During the summer, I was at -20mm (raised 10mm for the winter, so -10mm).

With this setup, L1 is unusable for my taste (so much so that I hate when it drop from L2 to L1 when I 'accidentally' slipped over 85 mph or so for a while).

So if you can even dare to run -20mm and level 1 with your Gen II/Bilstein, that is MUCH better than I can say. Time to say bye bye to the stock shocks?

Anyone running Gen II on stock shocks?
Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember that my taste may not be the same as yours. I never ran my Gen II's with stock shocks. Both of my S4's run H&R coilovers and I like the ride and the handling. And yes they are somewhat bouncy although it is a very stiff and well controlled bounciness. However, sometimes it can be a sharp transition which some find uncomfortable. The allroad doesn't respond nearly as sharply so that's something to consider.
I can't give you any better advice since I haven't experienced what you have.
Do you want to take a trip to sub-Chicago to try mine out before you make the investment? Roughly 288 miles.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtraudt

I am..and I did find the spring rate a bit stiffer thanks to that aluminum sleeve. shocks are fine for now. my rear bags are factory..
Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Front: Finally determined that they leak (level 1/2 only, sometimes not at all). Went with Gen II from Arnott (supposed to be a bit stiffer). Current front: Arnott Gen II air bags, stock shocks.

I like the car sitting low (402 mod), but ride quality is not great. 'Bouncy' (NOT hard, just bouncy) is the best description. I'd say front mostly.

Could it be that Gen II springs do not work well with stock shocks (under dampened)? Stock shocks don't feel worn (no 'post swinging up/down').

With this setup, L1 is unusable for my taste (so much so that I hate when it drop from L2 to L1 when I 'accidentally' slipped over 85 mph or so for a while).

I have Gen II front springs on stock 70k miles shocks, and full OEM rear suspension. I would say that the ride quality is definitely stiffer in all settings, and more bouncy when in L1. I did not do a large 402 mod because that only makes the ride quality worse. I did try lowering it about 5mm for a little while, which seemed to be ok, but now I am back at stock height.

I do believe that the stock front shocks are designed for the spring rate of the OEM springs. Since the Arnott Gen II springs are stiffer, it makes sense that the OEM shocks are underdamped with that spring setup. I notice it mostly at highway speeds on bumps like uneven bridge transitions. At slower speeds I don't notice the bounce very much. It may just be that my OEM shocks are starting to get worn out. The Bilsteins may be better, but they are not specifically designed for the allroad or Gen II springs either.

Originally Posted by Mike B
...402'd it. I did; 22mm. So mostly I ride in L2 during the warm months because it's more comfortable, particularly with more than just me on board. Then I drop it to L1 for parking in the driveway where everyone can see how good it looks.
That is about the only good use for a 402 mod that low, thanks for the laugh
Old 12-19-2011, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=JustMtnB44;24237885]The Bilsteins may be better, but they are not specifically designed for the allroad or Gen II springs either.[/QUOTE

I think you cannot get the Bilsteins anywhere else but Arnott (can someone verify?); which would indicate they ARE designed specifically for the Gen II?

Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
That is about the only good use for a 402 mod that low, thanks for the laugh
And a good reason it is. Face it: we are all telling use 'performance reasons' for spending tons of money on wider/taller rims and fat low profile tires.

There realty: in most case NO performance gain (and in a lot of cases: terrible results. I can attest to it since I was never able to find shocks and springs to cope with the increased unsprung weight from my wheel/tire upgrade on a different car; they looked got).
Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think you cannot get the Bilsteins anywhere else but Arnott (can someone verify?); which would indicate they ARE designed specifically for the Gen II?
If you look on the Bilstein website, they don't even list the allroad as a specific application. They only have other C5 A6 cars. Therefore, it is believed that the Bilstein shocks are just the normal C5 A6 'HD' shocks, with a sleeve added to support the air spring and a lengthened shaft.

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=AWD

I suppose if someone had an Arnott Bilstein shock laying around they could compare the part numbers on the website to confirm. But you can see in the picture on Arnott's website the added sleeve and lengthening piece on the end of the shaft.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...24_gid483.html

Last edited by JustMtnB44; 12-19-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
If you look on the Bilstein website, they don't even list the allroad as a specific application. They only have other C5 A6 cars. Therefore, it is believed that the Bilstein shocks are just the normal C5 A6 'HD' shocks, with a sleeve added to support the air spring and a lengthened shaft.

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mm.../drivetype=AWD

I suppose if someone had an Arnott Bilstein shock laying around they could compare the part numbers on the website to confirm. But you can see in the picture on Arnott's website the added sleeve and lengthening piece on the end of the shaft.

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...24_gid483.html
Is it perceivable to find a 'stronger' (vs. C5 A6 HD) shock and swap and 'sleeve' and lengthened shaft?

Are those 'stiffer'?

Part Number: 24-065115
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-6511-H1;F4-BE5-6511-H2

Setting: B8 (SP) = SPORT ?
Drive Type: AWD
Position: Rear
Quantity Per Vehicle: 2

Bilstein B8 Sport monotube shocks and struts deliver absolute mastery of the road surface for the performance-minded driver. Designed to push a car's suspension to its performance peak, these shocks are specifically suited for use with special lowering springs in combination with anti-sway bars or other suspension upgrades. (yellow paint, steel body)

Last edited by vtraudt; 12-19-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is it perceivable to find a 'stronger' (vs. C5 A6 HD) shock and swap and 'sleeve' and lengthened shaft?

Are those 'stiffer'?

Part Number: 24-065115
Old Part Number: F4-BE5-6511-H1;F4-BE5-6511-H2

Bilstein B8 Sport monotube shocks and struts deliver absolute mastery of the road surface for the performance-minded driver. Designed to push a car's suspension to its performance peak, these shocks are specifically suited for use with special lowering springs in combination with anti-sway bars or other suspension upgrades. (yellow paint, steel body)
Possibly, but if the body is not exactly the same size the sleeve won't fit. It seems like if it were possible, Arnott might offer it as an option. A phone call or email to Arnott might answer this question, they are usually pretty helpful.

Quick Reply: Allroad suspension - Arnott bags, Bilstein shocks