Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i understand, autozones nation wide carry castrol syntec 0w-30... it really is surprising how easy it is to find and is about the only thing out there on the level with redline, royal purple, or amsoil.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

My nearest Autozone is 245 miles away...I'm out in the boondocks. The analysis I've seen makes Rotella T synthetic look like it's pretty close to redline, and it works well in my other engines.

Nothing against any other oil, I'm sure they work well. I'm just pointing out that there's another choice out there for people like me who like to use a "fleet" oil or have a hard time getting the other oils.

I had 5 different kinds of oil on the shelf for a while (5-30 for the wife's toyota, Rotella dino 15-40 for the wet-clutch motorcycles, 20-50 mc oil for the bmw oilhead, Mobil 0-40 for the allroad, and 20-50 high mileage for the 80 quattro), not counting Marvel Mystery Oil, and don't even get me started on gear oil, and it was a hassle. Being lazy, I ended up dumping whatever was left over into whichever car I was changing oil on, so I think I'm better off with a fleet oil. Not everyone's situation, I'm sure.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who carries Rotella?

That used to be Ford's house brand, didn't it?

Edit: Looks like Wally World carries it.....

Last edited by allroaddave; 03-24-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hey, you're on the air pump thing, too!

I usually get it at Napa, or there's this:
http://www.shell.com/home/PlainPageS...tributors.html

I guess that link is for distributors, not retailers, but the outfit it brings up for me locally will sell to the public, you just have to find the office.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Chip Tuning or re-map - who has suggestions

Hey guys,

I looking for some HP overhead gains without affecting normal driving gas mileage. What would you suggest?

Thanks!

2001 Allroad.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dcsat
Hey guys,

I looking for some HP overhead gains without affecting normal driving gas mileage. What would you suggest?

Thanks!

2001 Allroad.
Have you done HSports yet.It's better than looking for hp gains
Old 04-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MYD-WGN
Have you done HSports yet.It's better than looking for hp gains
No... What is HSports???
Old 04-05-2010, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default H-Sports are

Hotchkis brand, allroad-specific sway bars. There's sort of an informal recommended modification list for the allroad, and it starts with Hotchkis H-Sport swaybars. Soon after that come brakes, since it's a heavy car and the stock brakes can have some issues.

Not to be a wet blanket, but you may want to consider taking care of any "deferred" maintenance items on the allroad before you look at engine mods, etc. It'd be too bad to put a bunch of money into the motor, then find out you have to spend a bunch more on suspension just to keep it on the road. Also, the tiptronic automatic doesn't handle as much power as the manual transmission, and it's not cheap to fix, so that's something to consider when you start adding power.

Don't be afraid to start a new thread on the topic, after you search the archives, of course. Search for Stage 3. From what I understand, most if not all of the engine mods for the B5 S4 can be done on the early (APB) allroad, so you can cruise the S4 forums looking for ideas as well. Try not to drool on the keyboard-there's some fun stuff out there if your checkbook will handle it.

Short answer to the hp-gains question is: Chip it! Be ready for boost leaks and bad diverter valves when the chip turns up the boost. Not too difficult to fix, but the leaks can take some time to find.

Basically, Audi did a bunch of stuff right on this car, and you can spend a lot of money on mods that don't improve on the stock setup, so choose your mods carefully. Don't mess with the intake, because the stock cold air ram intake is better designed than the "cold air" intakes that actually pull in hot engine-room air at static (or lower) pressure. The only reason to change intakes is for a better sound, which is an ok reason, I guess. Don't put on a turbo timer, Audi has already thought of that, and by swapping out an inexpensive temp sensor, you can make the after-run coolant pump run more often/longer. Don't put on blow-off valves-the system is designed to recycle excess boost air instead of sending it overboard, and it will tamper with the mixture. Again, you can do it for the sound, but realize it's not going to get you performance gains.

Read the study guide linked to on this page: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1528868 to learn more fun stuff about the 2.7t.

That said, does anyone want to keep talking about oil?

Last edited by fjasper; 04-05-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

0-30 in the winter 5-40 in summer is what I use.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So where is the dip stick to check the trans fluid on the automatic?

Sorry...been driving caddys too long. This car is like the starship enterprise compared to them...