Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Allroad 4.2l Not Changing Gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad 4.2l Not Changing Gears

My 04 Allroad sometimes doesn't change out of 2nd gear. I've noticed this twice now. The first time I thought it was a bit strange, then I put it into manual mode and changed gears and it worked fine. Put it back into D and it was fine. The next time it happened I simply changed gears using the tip controls, and it did ... showing the gears 1 - 5.
So the gear actually changes fine, but it's almost like it thinks it's in manual mode.
Is this a sign of a major repair? What should I be checking for?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-18-2013, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Possibility

Originally Posted by puunda
My 04 Allroad sometimes doesn't change out of 2nd gear. I've noticed this twice now. The first time I thought it was a bit strange, then I put it into manual mode and changed gears and it worked fine. Put it back into D and it was fine. The next time it happened I simply changed gears using the tip controls, and it did ... showing the gears 1 - 5.
So the gear actually changes fine, but it's almost like it thinks it's in manual mode.

Thanks in advance
What rpm the engine reaches in 2nd gear?
When the gear lever in D the TCM (transmission control module)Using dynamic shift program (DSP)this program Studying the behavior of the driver and shift the gears according The result. For example,if you drive in traffic in D and traffic flows slowly Over time, And the transmission integrated in 2nd, When you start to drive faster the DSP Will keep you in 2nd gear more than usual.
Check the condition of the trans oil and the level.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

These transmissions can hold gears for a while when cold, but otherwise should shift smoothly, particularly with light throttle applications.
If it will only shift properly in tip mode, it could indicate low fluid.
It could also indicate bad fluid or gearbox problems (5hp24's have a reputation for failure between 100-150k miles).
Best bet is a gearbox fluid change. Just make sure you get the correct fluid.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
(5hp24's have a reputation for failure between 100-150k miles).
Except he has 5HP19, which came with both V6 and V8 on the Allroad. Still, they also fail, possibly even more since the v8 engine's torque is higher than the rating on the transmission.

Last edited by GTA_Driver; 08-18-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

When cold, it can hold the first gear for a while, as has been mentioned.

Try a fluid and filter change. It is good preventative maintenance.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks in advance
Next time it does this look closely at the gear display in the instrument cluster, to assure that the TCM doesn't think it's in Tip mode...indicating a problem with the tip switch in the shifter itself.

Another thought: Have you ever had a flooded carpet (clogged rain or AC drain overflow) on the passengers floor...the TCM is under the carpet there, supposedly "protected".
Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Except he has 5HP19, which came with both V6 and V6 on the Allroad. Still, they also fail, possibly even more since the v8 engine's torque is higher than the rating on the transmission.
I was doubtful about that when I read it (when you put 'V6' twice ), particularly as the applications on wikipedia are inconclusive, but it appears you may be right!
Must be the only 4.2 application without the '24...

Last edited by twentysevenlitres; 08-18-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
I was doubtful about that when I read it (when you put 'V6' twice ), particularly as the applications on wikipedia are inconclusive, but it appears you may be right!
Must be the only 4.2 application without the '24...
Thanks, i fixed it to V6 and V8

Even my original Allroad DVD brochure says 5HP24, but you won't find a North American AR with that tranny.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Both times this happened was when I was going uphill. I can't recall exaclty but I think it was around 3000 rpm. Nothing unusual about that, but it kept it at that for a very long time ... until I used the tip to change. When this happened it was definitely showing 'D' in the display, but then showed '3' when I used the tip ... until then I wasn't even aware you can change gears when it was in D. I thought you could only do it when its been put into tip mode.

The car was serviced about 2 months ago and the transmission fluid was flushed and changed (at least that's what they wrote down).

I'm thinking it is because the transmission is 'learning' my driving habits and nothing something awful. Next time it happens I'll try either giving it more gas to see what happens. Both times when it happened I was going up the hill at a constant speed, so maybe there was no need for it to change gears. I just freaked out cause I had never seen or heard it keep in 1 gear for so long before. Having said that I'll check the tranmission fluid to make sure it's ok.

I'm going for a 900km drive tomorrow and that should test the transmission.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Changing DSP Index Value (The driver behaves Index)

Thanks in advance
Next time when it happens to you, Gently Pump the gas pedal three or four times, short and fast. (About 10 percent of the pedal travel). And he will understand you