Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad 2.7t overheating ....FRUSTRATED !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ianjax
i know i put the thermostat the right way besides the bleed valve in the bottom ! and i made a huge mistake not flushing the radiator while i had it out ... I was thinking in take everything out again and put another thermostat but i thought if i had heat air coming out means that i have flow so i was really hopping maybe a bad air pocket or missing anything ! i really dont wanna do the whole 15 hrs for timing belt and thermostat again ... anybody knows if there is a way to check the rad without take it out ? bottom hose is around 20/30 degrees cooler than top hose btw... i am really wondering if the sensor i bought at autozone is bad and giving me a bad temp !
ohhh now that you have done it once it will take you less than 8 hours i bet. It only take me 4-5 at the most, but iv done like, a hundred timing belts on these V6s lol. I do see alot of temp sensors fail with a false overheat. if u have vagcom, see if the temp sensor signal for the ECU matches what the gauge is telling you.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thejulex, what cleaner should i use ? fans are working and running, i changed the thermal switch not long ago for a lower temp along with the AC fan cuz wasnt working ! i use G12 all the time and actually spend a lot money wasting coolant while i've been trying to bleed the system ... the only thing i didnt change yet was hoses and radiator and with the flow i have and heat i was not taking this in consideration ! i can see it flowing on the coolant reservoir... Prospeeder, i am sure i can make all that job extremely quick now but first time wasnt funy ! lol ... i dont have a VAG, I have a snap-on scanner which i use on global OBD2, it gives me the temperature but i think it reads from the sensor so if the sensor is bad the scanner gonna be reading wrong as well :/ i may try flush the radiator tomorrow, just need to know a cleaner that is safe ! old thermostat had some white solid spots one it ! like a calcium build up but i never used other coolant or tap water ...
Old 08-15-2013, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thejulex, what cleaner should i use ? fans are working and running, i changed the thermal switch not long ago for a lower temp along with the AC fan cuz wasnt working ! i use G12 all the time and actually spend a lot money wasting coolant while i've been trying to bleed the system ... the only thing i didnt change yet was hoses and radiator and with the flow i have and heat i was not taking this in consideration ! i can see it flowing on the coolant reservoir... Prospeeder, i am sure i can make all that job extremely quick now but first time wasnt funy ! lol ... i dont have a VAG, I have a snap-on scanner which i use on global OBD2, it gives me the temperature but i think it reads from the sensor so if the sensor is bad the scanner gonna be reading wrong as well :/ i may try flush the radiator tomorrow, just need to know a cleaner that is safe ! old thermostat had some white solid spots one it ! like a calcium build up but i never used other coolant or tap water ...
well actually, the sensor is 2 sensors in one, theres 4 pins. Two for gauge, other for ecu. Every time i have a false over heat, the temp gauge is high, but the ecu sees normal temp. Really any cleaners safe, its just a car, the radiator is aluminum and plastic just like all newer cars.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 08-15-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also use distilled water to flush the radiator
Old 08-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks guys, i really appreciate all the help and response !!! i will flush the radiator tomorrow and i will post an update... if i get a VAG cable on the ebay and download the free software should i be able to check these measurements and ecu temp ? i dont think i am having a good one with my scanner... ALSO, the fact that the "bleed/jiggle valve" is on the bottom instead of top as recommended is such a big deal and could make it overheat or i shouldn't worry about it right now ?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I always do the bleeder on top, airs going to try and be at the highest point, iv seen many cars where thermostats are offset so they can only go in one way, and always have the bleeder on top. I dont see it causing your issues. Does it boil over? Have you opened the bleeder? I usually will crack the bleeder, start pouring till it rushed out of it. Then top it off, and go for a drive. Any remaining air will be pushed out. If you have done that, then airs not your problem.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

it doesn't boil over ! i did open the bleeder screw and also tried with the heater hose, opening the cap and all the different procedures that i found here besides the one lifting the front of my car ...
Old 08-16-2013, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default thermostat test

Before you Reconnects the thermostat in the right way, check The thermostat in hot water at a temperature of 90 degrees Celsius. Then it should be completely open.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think you said you did it, but check the expansion tank.
That turned out to be the problem with my car continually overheating.
I had a crack in the inner neck under the cap, which prevented the system pressurising, and pushed large amounts of coolant through the overflow.
A cracked, damaged, or worn o-ring on the cap inner ring will have the same effect.
So check your cap too, even replace it as a precaution.

I doubt the thermostat is the problem. It's a 5 hour job minimum to get at it on these engines - I know!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

One more thing. If you haven't owner the car from new, there is a distinct possibility that previous owner run green generic coolant whihc mixed with G1 gels and clogs cooling system...

Either way, do the flush with some cooling system cleaner, maybe even twice for good measure. It involves draining the system, filling with distilled water and the flush liquid, running the car for a while (I do like 15 minutes on top of time it takes to warm up the coolant to operating temps) and flushing it again couple of times. You will run through quite a bit of distilled water but at lest it is cheap.

Quick Reply: allroad 2.7t overheating ....FRUSTRATED !!!