AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even better thread....https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ompressor+fuse
The third response is telling.
Search is your friend.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed. I think we've all been there when a new part doesn't solve the problem.

In addition to the recommendations below, I would try powering the pump directly. It has happened to me more than once that I get a new part that is DOA.

Originally Posted by sketch44
Dumb question. But you didn't specifically

Have you put a volt meter to the wires at the pump to make sure it is getting power?

Not sure if they have an external control unit, but you could check before and after the control.

Also I know there is a tank. I wonder if the tank has a faulty pressure sensor if it will turn off the compressor because the compressor thinks that the tank is full?

Just shooting in the dark here to give you ideas.

Good luck! Nothing more frustrating than buying the part wrenching it in and then flipping the switch for nada!
Old 11-30-2011, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

If its the control module, I have one that is used I could sell for you. I went for Arnott coilovers so I got one of those for sale, and all 4 corners + air tank what ever too if you need. Control module I sell for $400, should be ok, my problem was not the control module box.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thagor4
So I'm looking for some help diagnosing why my air suspension pump isn't running. I have a leak in my front drivers side airspring, with a replacement on the way from Arnott. On my way home from thanksgiving dinner with the fam, the pump made an odd noise, and has since stopped running entirely. I'm not sure if the compressor motor died, or if it could be a bad solenoid or something similar. Does anyone know of a way to test to see if it's the pump itself, or something electrical/electronic? I haven't worked with this system enough to know my way around it, and my bentley manual has failed me in this regard.
Also, if anyone knows of a good place to find front axles in the raleigh/cary/apex area in NC I'd appreciate the help :-)
Do you have access to VAG-COM? A scan of the air suspension system always helps.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

i took it to AUDI and they gave me control module error, purchased one and it didnt fix the problem, something to do with temperature sensors or something. Tired of dealing with it, got a good ride now with solid Arnotts, loving it, got bunch of stuff available if you need. I know bags are good. Got now 2 of those control module boxes laying around.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Update

Well, I have good news and bad. I discovered that I wasn't looking at the right fuse, and quickly learned upon changing it that the 40amp fuse keeps blowing. Right before the fuse blew again (and again) the compressor was running, but making odd noises like it was either shorting, not getting solid current, or (and this is a guess) maybe the valve block isn't letting it pump into anything. Ran for maybe 3-5 seconds at most. I got a replacement relay and a box of fuses, and I'm planning on doing some major troubleshooting this weekend. The only part I reused when I installed the new compressor was the temperature sensor. The Audi tech at my local dealer said its "possible" that this sensor is malfunctioning and making the motor overheat, but that didn't really make any sense to me. I don't think 3-5 seconds will do that, considering that the old one ran nearly constantly between the two leaky springs I've had... And lasted weeks like that on top of 10 years of regular use. I'm hoping it's the relay, but at this point all I. An do is cross my fingers and start testing.
Thanks for all the help so far guys, it's greatly appreciated.
Also, I don't have VAG-COM although I'm wishing I did right now...
Oh and the good news is that I got my axles and air spring installed with only minor hassle. :-)
Old 12-03-2011, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for hi-jack, but where is the relay for the pump located? Thanks!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The two posts I made below are quite clear on the subject.

"Just got the car back from the dealer. After lots of investigation and 1.5hrs shop rate, it turns out there is a 40 amp fuse under the hood behind a relay box The fuse protects the compressor motor. It took a few calls with Audi dealer tech support for the mechanic to find the fuse. Apparently when the old compressor prssure switch failed, and the pump ran without kicking off due to over temp, the fuse blew???"

Last edited by finiki; 12-03-2011 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by finiki
The two posts I made below are quite clear on the subject.
I did not realise that those links were about relay location, my sincere apologies for being so lazy as not to check. I will try harder next time.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And..I could have been more clear on content....no harm, no foul.

Quick Reply: Air suspension compressor... failed?