Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air suspension compressor... failed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air suspension compressor... failed?

So I'm looking for some help diagnosing why my air suspension pump isn't running. I have a leak in my front drivers side airspring, with a replacement on the way from Arnott. On my way home from thanksgiving dinner with the fam, the pump made an odd noise, and has since stopped running entirely. I'm not sure if the compressor motor died, or if it could be a bad solenoid or something similar. Does anyone know of a way to test to see if it's the pump itself, or something electrical/electronic? I haven't worked with this system enough to know my way around it, and my bentley manual has failed me in this regard.
Also, if anyone knows of a good place to find front axles in the raleigh/cary/apex area in NC I'd appreciate the help :-)
Old 11-25-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It must be the pump itself. It looks like you had the lucky unit so far as mine started getting loud and causing occasional leveling dashboard error light 2 years ago (also 2001 AR). I was getting weird codes like improper readings from pressure sensor etc. All got solved with new nit form arnott.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi
Please go to this link to understand the air susp' system.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2813078
Old 11-26-2011, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thagor4
Also, if anyone knows of a good place to find front axles in the raleigh/cary/apex area in NC I'd appreciate the help :-)
Raxles -- approximately $179 each, exchange, shipping included.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I'm looking for some help diagnosing why my air suspension pump isn't running. I have a leak in my front drivers side airspring, with a replacement on the way from Arnott. On my way home from thanksgiving dinner with the fam, the pump made an odd noise, and has since stopped running entirely. I'm not sure if the compressor motor died, or if it could be a bad solenoid or something similar. Does anyone know of a way to test to see if it's the pump itself, or something electrical/electronic? I haven't worked with this system enough to know my way around it, and my bentley manual has failed me in this regard.
Assume that you need a new or rebuilt pump. Based on the information you provided, you neglected the airbag leak too long and ruined the pump because of the extra running time/demand. Don't feel bad, you're not the first.

Auto trans? O'Reilly or AutoZone (and likely other national/regional chains) have rebuilt (lifetime warranty) axles for under $100... and they're usually in stock somewhere nearby.

Last edited by Teutonix; 11-28-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Teutonix
O'Reilly or AutoZone (and likely other national/regional chains) have rebuilt (lifetime warranty) axles for under $100... and they're usually in stock somewhere nearby.
Beware of cheap, Chinese made replacements. Guarantees do not cover labor. You do not want to DIY or pay for labor on a regular basis. Raxles uses all German made parts.
Good luck.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

upgraded air pumps and lines are cheap. new around 250.

psh, im skunk working a new after market system

im working on making kife easy by using different oem valves that work in alot quicker fasion.

average working pressure is around 120-150psi, tank max bar is 15bar. we average around 5bar on a good system.

the only way of upping the pressure is to that valve or right to the tank. these things use a ton of a air/pressure.
a good working pressure in my mind would be 200psi.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Replaced the compressor

So here's a new question guys: I replaced the compressor with a brand new unit from Arnott, and it still doesn't even try to run. tried cycling the system on and off, changing levels, manual mode, and no joy. Does anyone know what might cause this? I've checked every fuse that is listed in the owners manual and the bentley service manual, and the relay as well. I'm at a loss and extremely frustrated after spending an entire day working on all the various parts of this car.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dumb question. But you didn't specifically

Have you put a volt meter to the wires at the pump to make sure it is getting power?

Not sure if they have an external control unit, but you could check before and after the control.

Also I know there is a tank. I wonder if the tank has a faulty pressure sensor if it will turn off the compressor because the compressor thinks that the tank is full?

Just shooting in the dark here to give you ideas.

Good luck! Nothing more frustrating than buying the part wrenching it in and then flipping the switch for nada!
Old 11-30-2011, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A similar story...https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...mpressor+power

Quick Reply: Air suspension compressor... failed?