Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Air suspension to coil conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Air suspension to coil conversion

After what could be an intermittent bag leak or other issue affecting the front left corner and replacing the rear air bags a few years ago, I've decided to convert to the fixed coil suspension. My wife's 2002 allroad has only 57000 miles but is still 17 years old. Since every time we consider trading her in (the car, not the wife), we say "why"?...the allroad looks like new and runs great. Therefore, the decision to do the conversion since we will keep the car for quite awhile.

After doing some research, I decided on the Arnott kit. They state it will result in the height equivalent to level 2 which is where we usually have it set now. It also includes a module to defeat any dash warning lights related to the air suspension and new struts. I am having it installed by a local German car repair shop for $400 which is significantly less than the $1400 labor my dealer wanted. The kit was $949 and while with labor the conversion is much more than just changing the front air bags/struts, I won't have to screw around with the air system in the future.

I'll come back after the install to report on the ride, handling. etc.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

UPDATE: I picked up the allroad today after the install. My first impressions are as follows:
(Note that our allroad is equipped with 17" wheels with Conti DWS06 tires).
The ride is a bit tighter than the air suspension with a bit more notice of rough surfaces. Still a comfortable ride, especially on smooth roads.
Handling has improved; cornering seems to be more responsive and glued down.
Appearance is fine with the car at the standard or level 2 height.
The included module was easy to install and disabled the entire air system with no warning lights,
Overall I'm very pleased so far and glad I had the conversion done.
The following users liked this post:
ArnottDoug (09-05-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the dark side where you'll never have to buy another airbag, compressor,valve block, or ride height sensor! The best part is you'll never be forced to drive on the bump stops to get a car home or to the repair shop.

Look at the other threads in this section and many are issues the air suspension.

I converted years ago and never looked backed. If you really want to get into it, changing all the allroad specific parts (prefixed 4Z7) to C5 has even more benefits. Lower cost control arms for one. It opens up the ability to run the standard offset wheels without resorting to spacers.

Last edited by Old_School_Audi; 10-10-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=snagitseven;25361631]After what could be an intermittent bag leak or other issue affecting the front left corner and replacing the rear air bags a few years ago, I've decided to convert to the fixed coil suspension. My wife's 2002 allroad has only 57000 miles but is still 17 years old. Since every time we consider trading her in (the car, not the wife), we say "why"?...the allroad looks like new and runs great. Therefore, the decision to do the conversion since we will keep the car for quite awhile.

After doing some research, I decided on the Arnott kit. They state it will result in the height equivalent to level 2 which is where we usually have it set now. It also includes a module to defeat any dash warning lights related to the air suspension and new struts. I am having it installed by a local German car repair shop for $400 which is significantly less than the $1400 labor my dealer wanted. The kit was $949 and while with labor the conversion is much more than just changing the front air bags/struts, I won't have to screw around with the air system in the future.

I'll come back after the install to report on the ride, handling. etc.

It also includes a module to defeat any dash warning lights related to the airsuspension and new struts.

It possible to buy just this module ??
Old 11-23-2019, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 76,000 miles, I though my 2002 was the lowest mileage one owner Allroad out there.
Our conversion to the Arnott coil overs ten years ago this month, may have been one of the first, and have no regrets.
Similar to you we are a multi Audi family, and will be up to three this summer.

Last edited by snagitseven; 11-25-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Don Pietro
It possible to buy just this module ??
I doubt it. Call Arnott.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They will NOT sell just the module to turn off the light