Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

6sp transmission mounts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grat
I was going off of this picture from the Bentley manual

Which seems to clearly show a nut on the bottom of the transmission mount.

given that the 034mount had a bolt through it, and the OEM mount showed one in the doc, I assumed that what appeared on the bottom of my OEM mount was a just a cover.

the parts book shows a "stop mount" #12 on the bottom of the mount, but doesn't resemble a cover. So I assume this was inside.

What seemed odd to me is if this was just a cover why was it crimped so tightly to the bottom of the mount. (the basis of my starting this thread)

I cut a the crimp in a couple places and managed to pry one side off away from the mount earlier in the week and stopped there. Today I proceeded to take it completely apart. The "cap" turned out to be the bottom part of the liquid filled mount and was crimped to seal it. e.g. all the oil came dribbling out when I finally pulled it apart. Black foul stuff that stained my floor don't do this.

Further there is no bolt/nut that goes all the way through this mount. There is just a bolt that goes into the top half. It was heavily corroded and did not want to move. I wrongly assumed I was turning a hidden nut on the other covered end.

So the upshot: to remove the OEM mount leave the bottom bolts on the frame, remove the top bolt (I have no idea if this is possible with the engine in the car, I have my doubts, mine is out currently), then remove the bottom bolts. Lift the transmission and swap the mount.

The only question I have now is if I now need the "stop mount" shown in the parts diagram to mate to the 4 rubber ears on the bottom of the 034 mount. Will ask and let you guys know. It will sit on the new mounts for now so I can continue with getting the engine back in tomorrow.

hope this helps someone else trying to do this.

fj..

That's what I was saying about the stock mount being fluid filled. You need the big washer, the part # is in 1 of the linked posts I provided, the pictures are gone, but the part #s are still there.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default final

Swapped email with both Javad from 034motorsports and Brian from Avalonmotorsports today. Both say that the 'stop mount' is not needed with the 034 mount. Javad said it could be used, but in 4+ years he has not seen one fail and I know his 'applications' are a bit more um, intense than mine is.

So that's good enough for me. So I used the thick washer off the oem bolt (on top), and the 'bolt kit' that I bought with the 034 mounts.

done. thanks guys.
fj..
Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Don't worry!

Good to hear! That washer just holds the trans from ripping out from the the top - like that's ever going to happen anyway. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by blackIIIroad; 04-29-2009 at 06:56 AM. Reason: consolidation of two messages
Old 04-28-2009, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by blackIIIroad
That washer just holds the trans from ripping out from the the top - like that's ever going to happen anyway. I wouldn't worry about it either
You don't think that without the big washer the rs4 mount would basically be a solid mount? iirc that is the impression I got from looking at it.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hey Steve, One of - if not - the first stage III allroads

Originally Posted by skidmark
You don't think that without the big washer the rs4 mount would basically be a solid mount? iirc that is the impression I got from looking at it.
The washer doesn't really add anything different to the mount itself. The Washer doesn't come in contact with the subframe and the outside piece (that mounts to the subframe 2X13 mm bolts) still remains separate from the inner piece that the through bolt attaches to. So nothing is really different except the likehood of the inner piece tearing itself loose and pulling thru the outer piece attached to the subframe & This scenario would probably only occur if the car rolled over or performed a duke's of hazard-bridge out-swap jump.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by blackIIIroad
The washer doesn't really add anything different to the mount itself. The Washer doesn't come in contact with the subframe and the outside piece (that mounts to the subframe 2X13 mm bolts) still remains separate from the inner piece that the through bolt attaches to. So nothing is really different except the likehood of the inner piece tearing itself loose and pulling thru the outer piece attached to the subframe & This scenario would probably only occur if the car rolled over or performed a duke's of hazard-bridge out-swap jump.
I thought I remember the part being circled in picture was attached(solid) to outer part(wear arrows are pointing) on the top. You need to remove the gray cover, so without the big washer, you just have a solid metal mount.
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

For the bridge out jump - you'd want the AMC Buzzard.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skidmark
I thought I remember the part being circled in picture was attached(solid) to outer part(wear arrows are pointing) on the top. You need to remove the gray cover, so without the big washer, you just have a solid metal mount.
on the 034 mount (I've never seen the RS4 mount so I can't speak to it) the top part that mounts to the tranny arm, is isolated by rubber from the bottom ears. This is the drawings I threw together so Javad & Brian would know what I was talking about. This is not to scale, my understanding of how it is put together, etc, etc. cross section is 90 deg from the ears (left to right on the car).

with stop mount

(actually I think the stop mount is wider than I show here, unsure as I've never seen one)

only way this would pull out is if the engine torque rolled it upwards (or car went inverted) plus you would have to pull the engine mount apart as well.

unlikely event.

Javad's response:
The factory mounts that use this style mount do use a "cupped washer" as you suggest, part # 431 399 291. We do not supply or suggest this piece is required to be used, however, you are more than welcome to use it, they are readily available at your local dealer.

In the event of a catastrophic failure of the mount, the cup would provide a form of mechanical stop, but in 4+ years of running these mounts in everything under the sun, we've never seen anything close to a failure like that.

Thanks,

Javad Shadzi
034Motorsport

fj..
Old 04-28-2009, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The factory washer "cup" is big enough that it will catch the lower outer mount so even if the rubber fell out completely the mount wouldn't/can't "come apart". It would still be captive by way of the metal collars and the transmission can't fall out - but it would rattle a whole lot.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Allroady DungBeetle
For the bridge out jump - you'd want the AMC Buzzard.

LoL, the buzzard was built exactly for this purpose.

Last edited by blackIIIroad; 04-29-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 6sp transmission mounts...