Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

THE 402 MOD: Audi allroad suspension adjustment how-to

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G0to60
The problem with running at a higher speed with the suspension at, say level 4, is that the CV axles we're meant be at such an extreme angle. The CVs were designed for a compromise of high speed low setting and a low speed high setting.
If this is true, it makes a lot of sense that Audi implemented the speed limitations. I hadn't heard or read about this aspect before. Thanks for the insight.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 09mehashaw
Also, get the upgraded metal TOB. THe plastic one is garbage
Just re reading the thread. What is the benefit of a metal throw out bearing? Isn't that a part of the clutch?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 402 mod = 167 rim mod = ??? ground to fender

a) double spoke = 167 (based on 470mm wheel rim diameter). What would be the number for the 'standard' wheel?

b) what is 'standard' Ground to Fender (GTO) distance?

Originally Posted by Mr. Timewise
In my case with the allroad's double spoke wheels, the rim diameter is 470mm. Half that is 235mm. So the distance from the top edge of the wheel rim to the fender edge should be 167mm to get the standard 402mm setting. (IN LEVEL 2)

I place the end of my tape measure on the top edge of the wheel rim and note the distance to the highest point on the fender arch edge. For example, if the distance from the wheel rim to the fender is 160 mm, I add that number to the radius of the wheel rim (235 mm) and get a height of 395 mm. It is the 395 mm which would be programmed in the "402 Mod" to get the car back to the standard specs.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys...

I tried your instruction...but after enter the "31564" code nothing happend...only the error "regellage nicht gespeichert" is in and not deletable.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have full version of VCDS or shareware/free?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

yes...

but I had found my error...I forgot to go on "anpassung" after I had enter the code...I`am the ROOKIE !!! sorry guys...
Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by G0to60
The problem with running at a higher speed with the suspension at, say level 4, is that the CV axles we're meant be at such an extreme angle. The CVs were designed for a compromise of high speed low setting and a low speed high setting.

I've been thinking of have some suspension spacers made that will be on top of the air springs. This will allow a higher ride height but without such a sever CV angle. Basically making Level 1 a Level 2 and making Level 4 higher.
I measured the CV angles when I cycled the suspension and when I rebuilt my front CV's and don't think it would be much of an issue at all. Very reasonable CV angles, even at over-extension well beyond the limits of the stock suspension (measured with the shocks removed). Would guess that these speed-based limitations have a lot more to do with stability and liability than anything mechanical.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Goto60: "I've been thinking of have some suspension spacers made that will be on top of the air springs. This will allow a higher ride height but without such a sever CV angle. Basically making Level 1 a Level 2 and making Level 4 higher."

It does not matter how you lift the body of car (spacers, airbags, etc.). As long as your wheels stay on the ground, the CV angles will always be the same. Unless you drop the gear box while lifting the body.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Many thanks for that writeup! Just managed to reset the suspension after compressor change in my 2003 allroad.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by vtraudt
b) what is 'standard' Ground to Fender (GTO) distance?
Anybody know the GTO for stock 402 and Allroad double spoke wheel?

Quick Reply: THE 402 MOD: Audi allroad suspension adjustment how-to