Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

4.2 Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.2 Warning

When my 4.2 started to run rough at idle and make a sound like bad lifters I searched ar forums for any answer and came up short. I did get a response here (thanks all(over)road) but we weren't close. The 4.2 is shared with the S4 and what is probably my problem is well documented over there. I will know more when my indy calls after the engine has been removed.

Bottom line is I assumed the lifetime timing chain in the 4.2 was a good thing. It isn't. Far from it. The chain doesn't go but the rails and adjusters do and if the chain jumps the engine is history. Belts come off from the front. The chain requires pulling the engine. San Diego Audi told me 3500 to 4000 to pull it alone. Plus "what they find". They said they just did an S4 and the final bill was 12k. Sure hope it was a 6 speed.

If you have a V8 and hear any noise at startup or sometimes have a rough idle when the engine is hot you are about 5k miles from a real decision. If not, start another savings account. In the last 6 months I replaced control arms, snub mount, wheels (to 19s), tires, CV joints, added Hotchkis sways, Arnott compressor and bags, and more. If I didn't live in a condo I would have considered parting it out to recoup some of my loss. But I do and my choices were fix it or donate it.

Have any of you tried to find a vehicle adequate to replace an ar for a reasonable price? Don't even bother. There isn't one. So my car went in today for "a little more work". I will take the opportunity to have center driveshaft bearing replaced and I bought one of those aluminum adapters for the oil cooler to block attachment that leaks on V8s, enough to get a few more years out of the thing. By then maybe Audi will properly equip the new ar with either a real tranny or a real engine. Or bring back an S6 Avant to these shores. In my dreams, I suppose.

I will post what is found as discovery progresses.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles are on the odometer? How long have you had the AR?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's a bummer to hear. I didn't get my allroad until I had the room to do my own repairs. It would be tough on the wallet to send it off to the shop every time something broke.

I don't hear too much about the V8 allroads so post up what was found.

I agree with you on a replacement. When the new allroad was announced I was excited but when I looked into it more I was underwhelmed. I want to like it but until they put in a different engine (TDI please) then I think I'll keep the old allroad on the road as long as I can.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've heard of this happening in one other instance. Scary proposition. Very curious about your miles on it?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 129k on the odo and I've had it for about 4 years. This and our TT are Audis 6 and 7. I've tried to explain to my wife that most of what has been replaced on the ar other cars don't even have. She's not buyin' it. Came with 100k on it and need for control arms. All else is new. Hopefully when all this is done I'll have a couple years of trouble-free driving. I've had all bearings, suspension, brakes, hoses, belts done. I'm hoping to go through the tires I just bought without any more problems. Even with all the issues, I still love my ar. I have a custom exhaust so there is NO question it's a healthy v8 .
Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I only have 85k on mine, and plan on keeping it until it hits the 10 years old mark in two years. I just dropped $2,700 to get the ac compressor replaced. It basically grenaded, sending shrapnel throughout the system. I considered selling it, however, like you, realized there is no viable replacement on the market, so ponied up the money to keep the beast running. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know all about having the engine yanked. $7K to have a $100 part installed in timing chain system so my AC would work. Photo of the car getting put back together attached.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

While engine is out be sure to remove, inspect, and lube the small shaft that runs from rear chain to drive the AC compressor. Audi has a special lube for it. If/when the teeth on the rear of this shaft strip, you are in for another $1400- bill. Engine already out??? $$$ is next to nothing. This shaft is a wear item. It will not last forever!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanbks, Ivan

I saw the engine out today for the first time and see the short shaft. If one didn't know it was a potential problem wewouldn't have touched it. Will now.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Broken Chain Rail

With the engine out, the problem was obvious. In the first picture you see the mess of chains and tensioners. The problem is circled. The second shot is a closeup that shows the broken center guide like so many S4 owners have experienced. Pretty bad that an engine like this becomes trashed due to a piece of plastic. A major design flaw. You can see how pressure could build at that point. I'm going to post the pictures on the S4 forum to see if others experience has been the same.

Now I need help in the form of opinions. Labor plus all new tensioners and rails, gaskets, belts, fluids, hoses, etc will be $6700. I can save about $1700 by only replacing the broken part. The parts back there were theoretically designed for a lifetime. The center rail breaking seems to happen between 90 and 120k miles and appears to be the sole flaw, but using an identical part to replace it means it will probably break again. The chain is perfect and the rest of the stuff also shows no wear. I need the thing to give me 2 more years of service.

Do I spend $6700 (which I can't afford) or save 1700 hoping the rest of the engine holds up? I'm leaning toward saving the money. Thoughts anyone?
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 4.2 Warning