Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2004 Audi allroad quattro 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Audi allroad quattro 4.2

Really close to purchasing a 2004 Audi allroad quattro 4.2. Here is a link http://www.meisterimportmotors.com/2...9/Details.aspx

New Continental tires, oil change, tune up all done very recent. Drove it and love it! Great local shop!

Anyway think I should be aware of beside the usual? Thank you!

Andrew
Old 08-28-2012, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewteece

Andrew
Andrew, first order of business when posting such a question is to see if a similar question has been posted before and read the entire thread. For this, you may want to browse topics on the first 5 pages of this forum. Even on this very same page 1, you will find this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2832515

It will answer your questions, and you'll be much more informed after doing research on your own.

The reason? People get a little fatigued typing up same content for a new thread every week or so.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And here's another thread, at the top of page 2:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2831209

And here's a good Allroad Buyer's Guide:
http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/14155.phtml
Old 08-28-2012, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Umm, Welcome to AudiWorld.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Andrew, first order of business when posting such a question is to see if a similar question has been posted before and read the entire thread. For this, you may want to browse topics on the first 5 pages of this forum. Even on this very same page 1, you will find this thread:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2832515

It will answer your questions, and you'll be much more informed after doing research on your own.

The reason? People get a little fatigued typing up same content for a new thread every week or so.
One thing I might mention is that neither of these posts deal with the 4.2 in particular and information regarding the specifics of that motor would be helpful to someone looking at purchasing one...

I also find it fairly odd that so many web forums are littered with posts where people say something close to "do a search before posting" when I kinda thought the whole point behind a FORUM was to discuss and chat about the topic at-hand, not just read about it. If I wanted to simply read about allroads I would be Wikipedia or something, just saying
Old 08-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by andrewteece

Andrew
I don't know if it is necessarily common but one thing I would recommend is making sure that you get the chance to start the car up when it's dead cold. I usually ask the person selling to crank the car while I lean over the back of the engine with the hood up and listen for even the slightest noise that could be timing chain rattle--I found a low mileage 4.2 once that rattled on start-up and I walked away immediately, it's a huge job that requires pulling the motor if there's anything needing repair as far as the chain, tensioner, etc.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a good buy man, 4.2 allroads are nice.

I'd only worry about the torque converter and 02 sensors if all the other stuf was done recently...get yourself a ROSS-TECH and scan often !
Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

5 years with my 4.2. Almost no issues at all other than basic wear. It's a great engine.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Andrew, I recently purchased a 4.2 allroad to replace my 2006 A4 avant that was getting too small for my kids. Having owned a 2002 6MT allroad I decided to try a 4.2 this time. Here is what to expect with a used 4.2:
Replace the valve cover gaskets and prop shaft seal, both are probably leaking. Replace the serpentine belt and tensioner if not done yet. Check the battery and brake pads. Check if any corners are sitting lower to see if an air spring is leaking or if the compressor runs at every start-up. I may have a torque converter issue starting on mine but those are hit-miss. Some have replaced them at 30K miles yet others have 200K on the original TC. Finally, most of us left Audiworld years ago and are now on quattroworld. The allroad group there is very helpful and you won't be told to search for answers yourself.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by all(over)road
Seems like a good buy man, 4.2 allroads are nice.

I'd only worry about the torque converter and 02 sensors if all the other stuf was done recently...get yourself a ROSS-TECH and scan often !
Thanks for the info!!!

Quick Reply: 2004 Audi allroad quattro 4.2