Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad reliability mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default allroad reliability mods

First, my question: What mods/aftermarket work can be done on the Audi to generally improve its reliability? I don't need it to be any more sporty, but I just don't want to constantly be nursing the car along, while my wallet suffers.

Explanation:
I'm in the market for a car that is both great off- and on-road. I've been looking at newer Subarus, other crossovers, etc. But I love the uncompromisingness of an allroad in terms of comfort, driving dynamics, and capability. It also looks damn cool.

I have about $4000 to work with. My budget is around $18-20k, and I can't help but think that I can get a 9-year-old allroad for $11 and bring it up to par with some new parts in critical areas. What do you guys think?

So far on my list,
  • By what I've read, I'm definitely getting an Arnott suspension pack. Worth getting a new compressor too?
  • Supposedly the brake pads can warp. Got any recommendations for good brake pads? I don't need something particularly sporty but I sometimes can get a bit giddy with them on mountain roads in the area.
  • What about a Tip Chip? I'm thinking about getting one; I know it boosts performance, but is it any harder on the transmission to the point it might require more maintenance?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my allroad for $8000 and have put in about $2500 in parts in the last two years. Things that I've done to keep things up to snuff:

Front control arms
Front axles
Rebuild suspension compressor
Change trans fluid and filter
Fuel filter

Other things I have on my to do soon list are:
Timing belt
Front brake rotors and pads
Remove clutch fan and replace with electric
Replace valve cover gaskets

I have other stuff break but most of the stuff listed was preventative.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by G0to60
I bought my allroad for $8000 and have put in about $2500 in parts in the last two years. Things that I've done to keep things up to snuff:

Front control arms
Front axles
Rebuild suspension compressor
Change trans fluid and filter
Fuel filter

Other things I have on my to do soon list are:
Timing belt
Front brake rotors and pads
Remove clutch fan and replace with electric
Replace valve cover gaskets

I have other stuff break but most of the stuff listed was preventative.

Thanks for the input. Any specific manufacturer that you'd recommend for the brakes, arms, axles, etc? I've seen blau come up quite a bit, but I've also seen others.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

For axles I only use Raxles. Great company and good products. Control arms I got from Europaparts and they are a mix between OEM (lowers) and aftermarket. Kind of spendy but I heard some of the non-OEM lowers tend to fail sooner. For the compressor rebuild kit look up bagpipingandy on EBay or I think he might post on here too. Great guy with a ton if knowledge on the suspension system. I haven't looked to much into brakes yet as mine are still in pretty good shape but do a little searching. I'll probably go with some OEM Brembo discs but I'm not too sure on the pads. I've also gotten a few parts off of the website ECS tuning. Good selection and pretty knowledgeable.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by acetech09
[*]By what I've read, I'm definitely getting an Arnott suspension pack. Worth getting a new compressor too?
Why? You want to protect your wallet from constant drainage, you said. This is just taking the money all at once at a problem that may not be there. Get the car first and see what's wrong with it. If it develops a leak in an air spring, buy a replacement from Arnott. Gen 1 springs can be replaced 1 at a time. Gen 2 (sportier) should be done in pairs.

Unless you mean to throw the car on coilovers...

[*]Supposedly the brake pads can warp. Got any recommendations for good brake pads? I don't need something particularly sporty but I sometimes can get a bit giddy with them on mountain roads in the area.

Why would the discs warp? This isn't 24 hours of LE Mans.

What you have is brake pad deposits building up on the discs. Read up on it at Stoptech's website.

[*]What about a Tip Chip? I'm thinking about getting one; I know it boosts performance, but is it any harder on the transmission to the point it might require more maintenance?
A tip chip is nice, but better spend time and find a good Allroad with the 6-speed manual transmission. Tip tranny fails, the torque converter fails, etc... A chip won't make the car any more reliable. Better save the money for a torque converter from 517 Transmissions, or best yet, get a manual.

If you need help finding exactly the kind of Allroad you want, PM me, there's someone who has bought and sold a ton of Allroads and shipped them all over the US to his buyers. Rock solid feedback, honest and upfront, no surprises. No affiliation, but if you want a rare 6-speed he can help.

Last edited by GTA_Driver; 10-07-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think I wasn't all to clear in the OP, my fault but it was late last night. I'd rather pay more up front than when the car decides to later. To the largest extent I can, anyway. I do have time to work on the car but I'd like to keep unpredicted work to a minimum. I'd just feel much better getting some work done on the car when I buy it. Certainly, I'd see what was needed once I got a car, but I'm trying to think ahead and address common failure points.

Regarding the suspension, I read somewhere that the Arnott springs were much less leak-prone (and warrantied) over the stock springs.

Brake warping was mentioned in a few places, and the allroad buyer's guide on the wiki here. I can't say I'm a heavy braker, but it seemed worth mentioning. Supposedly the parking brakes can warp warm discs.

I'd have to take a manual for a good test drive before considering it. I'll see if there's one in my area.

I might PM you a bit later. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Arnott springs are less leak prone because they aren't 10+ years old now but, yes, they do have a warranty. I haven't heard too much about brake warpage. If you want to be pro active about the brakes, or with any wear item, I would buy all the parts now and just leave them on the shelf for when you need them. There's no point in swapping out brakes if there's still 70% life left in them but you will know that you'll need them eventually. Really you just need to see what the condition of the car is when you get it and go from there. You may get lucky and have a bunch of stuff already taken care.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by acetech09
I think I wasn't all to clear in the OP, my fault but it was late last night. I'd rather pay more up front than when the car decides to later. To the largest extent I can, anyway. I do have time to work on the car but I'd like to keep unpredicted work to a minimum. I'd just feel much better getting some work done on the car when I buy it. Certainly, I'd see what was needed once I got a car, but I'm trying to think ahead and address common failure points.

Regarding the suspension, I read somewhere that the Arnott springs were much less leak-prone (and warrantied) over the stock springs.

Brake warping was mentioned in a few places, and the allroad buyer's guide on the wiki here. I can't say I'm a heavy braker, but it seemed worth mentioning. Supposedly the parking brakes can warp warm discs.

I'd have to take a manual for a good test drive before considering it. I'll see if there's one in my area.

I might PM you a bit later. Thanks.

In general, original air springs that came with te car seem to last the longest. Audi replacement is warrantied only for 1 year, and there hve been several cases where they leaked relatively shortly. Not the same quality as the original ones. Arnott is lifetime, so at least you can exchange them and just pay the labor. But don't spend money before a leak develops. Some have gone 175K miles on original bags.

If you get an Allroad, be sure to find out about the timing belt. If there is no proof, let this be your first preventative maintenance item.

If you end up with an automatic, do a transmission oil an filter change.

And then just the basics of car maintenance.

If you can drive a manual and are fine with it, I would strongly recommend it.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
In general, original air springs that came with te car seem to last the longest. Audi replacement is warrantied only for 1 year, and there hve been several cases where they leaked relatively shortly. Not the same quality as the original ones. Arnott is lifetime, so at least you can exchange them and just pay the labor. But don't spend money before a leak develops. Some have gone 175K miles on original bags.

If you get an Allroad, be sure to find out about the timing belt. If there is no proof, let this be your first preventative maintenance item.

If you end up with an automatic, do a transmission oil an filter change.

And then just the basics of car maintenance.

If you can drive a manual and are fine with it, I would strongly recommend it.
Thanks for the input. I'll try to find a manual in my area.