Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

A 2002 w/77,000 mil. - how much life left?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A 2002 w/77,000 mil. - how much life left?

hi. i'm new to this forum. i'm planning to buy a friend's allwheel manual. have never owned this model before. how much life do you think this model has in it if it's been well maintained and has a clear carfax report? two owners. thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Plenty of life left at 77K, although there are some big ticket items you should plan for if you haven't already. I'm at 95K and here are the more major things I've dealt with from 60K onwards (* are items covered under a warranty).

*Front air springs
*Air compressor
*Clutch (installed RS4 for a small upcharge)
*Heated seat malfunction burning hole in seat
*Turbo oil return lines leaking
CV joints
Timing belt
Fan blade self-destructed taking out radiator and some wiring
Battery
Minor switches (turn signal relay, interior proximity sensor switch, etc)
Oxygen sensors

Things that I think could be a problem or wear out in the future?

More CV joints
Turbos
Tie rods and upper control arm bushings
Replace shocks
Brakes - rotors and pads, possibly rebuild calipers depending on how they look

It could've been a lot worse and my warranty covered some of the major costs. Find out what's been done on the car you're considering as everything I listed is pretty common as you approach 100K with the exception of the clutch (valet killed mine and paid for it).

You may also be tempted to do a few simple mods. Namely a chip to boost power and H-sport sway bars. These are not cheap cars to own...
Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have 175,000 miles.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:45 AM

thank you both for the info. do you both recommend buying a warranty at 77K??
Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 82k on my 02 AR 2.7T, I brought it new in 02, and my major Items have been two Air springs, Alternator and CV boots, Just did the timing belt,water pump Etc. I dont have an extended Warranty. As long as you keep up with the maintenance you should be ok, I agree with the list above. I havnt heard of too many Turbo issue's on the 2.7.

BTW I did have a fuel tank leak, Recall covered it after a fight with AOA.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:52 AM

many thanks for the info, duracell.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had the AR since 55k and I'm currently at 71k. I've had the headlight switch replaced and the fuel recall done. Everything is in working order. I'm currently allocating a little bit every month for the timing belt/water pump which I would hope to do at 80k.

Mine is a 6spd with giac x chipped. I replaced the DVs with the 710n.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

contact Bruce_M for warranty info.

You may find coverages are costly and very limited being you have no Original warranty left and the car is 7 model years old.

Just save money every month and be glad there are aftermarket options for you now for the suspension.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default agree with most things stated.

Mine has 196K when I hit "the wall" and I lost a trubo. It needed a clutch, all front CVs, wasn't too far away from cam timing/water pump again. So doing it all now at one time. Properly maintained should should have quite a lot of life left. If it hasn't had suspension bag replacements yet you may see those soon (as I recall my first was around 105K).

fj..
Old 03-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by muji
thank you both for the info. do you both recommend buying a warranty at 77K??
i personally would not buy the car unless it came with a warranty or you had the means to buy a warranty, especially at that mileage point.

i bought an allroad with 45k from an Audi mechanic that had every service record & maintenance record included. clear & clean carfax. it was very-well cared for. i continued this regimen on mine until the car had almost $12k in repair bills by 65k miles.

the thing is the car has a lot of big-ticket items that can fail. many posters on here have had success, some have not. it really is a gamble - even for the most well-taken-care-of cars. that is why i keep pushing warranties.

i will also suggest that the "proper maintenance" rule of thumb does not apply to this car. you can maintain it better than anyone, that won't control whether the air system fails or tranny starts to go or a turbo failure. those really are beyond your control. I had those issues by 65k, others at 195k. best rule of thumb if you're in the market is to analyze your cash flow situation and what you can afford. allroads are inexpensive on the secondary market for a reason! just make sure you are financially able to handle any obstacles you might face in the future with the car.

good luck!

Quick Reply: A 2002 w/77,000 mil. - how much life left?