Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

2 new front Arnotts and compressor continuously runs HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 new front Arnotts and compressor continuously runs HELP

So as the title stated. My compressor runs almost continuously while I'm driving. I installed new Arnotts on both sides this week. When I come to a light, it's fine. The compressor does not run. After I hit about 20-30mph, it'll kick back on. I do NOT have any problem codes showing at this time.

I'm 95% certain there is no leak. I've checked the rear bags 3 times now (at all settings) not one leak. I'm going to let it sit over night and see if it looks like it's lowered down. But pretty certain there is no leak in the lines.

I read somewhere that maybe it just needs to be re-calibrated with a VAG COM. I've read that the Air valve could be bad, I've read it could be the sensors, and I've read it could be the compressor going out. Has this happen to anyone else?? There's a lot of variable's here and I've already put $600 into it. I'd like to solve this before I burn out the compressor and fork out another $300-400.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been there before...in my case it was the air compressor on its way out.

If you have/had leaky bag(s); it stressses out the air compressor; compensating to keep up pressure, effectively ending its usefulness after not too long.

Just my experience at almost 190K in my allroad over 8 years ! I think (hope) I've seen it all... 8-)
Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default put on some goggles and have a beer

Seriously...

Compressor is probably worn down...but not out if it is still running and keeping you up.

Just needs an overhaul.

Should take about 3 hours and a beer can and some eye protection.

Look up the "Beer Can" mod for rebuilding your compressor.

Did mine in February after replacing my 2 fronts with Arnotts in October and then having my car unable to "keep it up" after a couple of months.

This is NOT a hard repair...just a little dirty.

If you aren't up for it, then buy a compressor and have your local Independent repair shop put it in. Buy the Mercedes one and use the discount code. Search about ...it is all here on the forums.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Take some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray everything from the pump to each bag. If it did not have this problem before the air bag change then it is probably related to something you worked on. It's possible that one of the new Arnotts could have a leak too.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sketch44
Seriously...

Compressor is probably worn down...but not out if it is still running and keeping you up.

Just needs an overhaul.

Should take about 3 hours and a beer can and some eye protection.

Look up the "Beer Can" mod for rebuilding your compressor.

Did mine in February after replacing my 2 fronts with Arnotts in October and then having my car unable to "keep it up" after a couple of months.

This is NOT a hard repair...just a little dirty.

If you aren't up for it, then buy a compressor and have your local Independent repair shop put it in. Buy the Mercedes one and use the discount code. Search about ...it is all here on the forums.

Thanks! WHile in search of the "beer can" fix. I came across this post of a guy who sells rebuild kits from the Uk for $50 and $6 shipping. He actually machined a new piston ring as OE. Going to look for the beer can fix still, I'm curious.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2828355
Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rebuild kit from Andy in the UK is much better than the beer can fix; if you are going to spend a few hours working on the compressor, you might as well do it right and replace the worn out parts.

That said, if the system is holding air then the compressor shouldn't have to run much regardless of whether it is worn out or not. So there is likely a leak somewhere. Did you replace the upper and lower o-rings on the springs during the replacement, and grease the lower one as specified? Have you sprayed soapy water all over the air bladder and upper and lower mounting points?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who drinks beer out of a can still?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
The rebuild kit from Andy in the UK is much better than the beer can fix; if you are going to spend a few hours working on the compressor, you might as well do it right and replace the worn out parts.

That said, if the system is holding air then the compressor shouldn't have to run much regardless of whether it is worn out or not. So there is likely a leak somewhere. Did you replace the upper and lower o-rings on the springs during the replacement, and grease the lower one as specified? Have you sprayed soapy water all over the air bladder and upper and lower mounting points?

The new set came with new rubber o-rings, I did put those on. I applied grease to the upper o-ring, but not the bottom. When spraying 409 up into the bottom though, I'm not seeing an air leak. I suppose I can take the wheel off tmrw and grease the bottom ones as well.