Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Your Thoughts On A 2919 RS5's Reliability And Does My Plan Make Sense?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jdm-v35
If i didn't pick up the RS5 I would currently be looking at the G80 M3 as an alternative. I think the M3 is great if you can get over the front grill.
No hatch. The Touring would be interesting, though it's still awkward looking at certain angles. You'd think it was the next coming of the McLaren F1 the way the European press fawn all over it. Honestly the few extra tenths in the 1/4 drag isn't real world necessary. What is real world is the ridiculous giant tacked-on all touchscreen surfboard dash display replacing the nice original dash and controls in MY24.

I wouldn't mind the Touring in British Racing Green with the yellow headlight accents, like the Brit youtuber Joe Achilles has. Joe Achilles '24 M3 Touring But still, a 2-3 yr old RS6 Avant gets my vote.

The following users liked this post:
JohnEnglish (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 648 Likes on 421 Posts

If i didn't pick up the RS5 I would currently be looking at the G80 M3 as an alternative. I think the M3 is great if you can get over the front grill.
Agreed that's why my RS5 is gone! Lol
Old 03-14-2024, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by B7Quattro Pete
No hatch. The Touring would be interesting, though it's still awkward looking at certain angles. You'd think it was the next coming of the McLaren F1 the way the European press fawn all over it. Honestly the few extra tenths in the 1/4 drag isn't real world necessary. What is real world is the ridiculous giant tacked-on all touchscreen surfboard dash display replacing the nice original dash and controls in MY24.

I wouldn't mind the Touring in British Racing Green with the yellow headlight accents, like the Brit youtuber Joe Achilles has. Joe Achilles '24 M3 Touring But still, a 2-3 yr old RS6 Avant gets my vote.
I keep seeing them in Isle Of Man Green Metallic and am really liking that color.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

I keep seeing them in Isle Of Man Green Metallic and am really liking that color.
Yep stunning color, similar to the Alfa Montreal Green. Almost worth buying for the color alone.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 480 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by SlapShot
Thanks, I really appreciate that perspective, and I agree with your perspective. It's the major failures like thermostats and water pumps etc. that concern me,
Any part can fail, including water pumps, but I think this concern is over-stated, if it exists at all.

The predecessor 3.0 engine (EA837) had problems with its water pump and there was even a class action suit, but that suit specifically excluded the EA839 engine that we are discussing. There were also issues with the 1.8 and 2.0 4 cylinder water pumps, but they also don't apply here. I have yet to see reported problems with the 2.9tt (B9/9.5 RS5) water pump. I'm not saying it can't fail, but it does not appear to be common at all.

I searched audiworld, audizine, reddit, and google for reports and examples and only found a few reports regarding the 3.0t version of the EA839 engine. Considering that engine is used everywhere, it does not appear to happen very often. For example:.
During this effort I also looked for reports of water pump failures in other brands and found a similar reports on Mercedes and BMWs. So, any part can fail in any car, but water pump failures do not seem to be over-represented in the EA839 engine when compared to other brands.

Last edited by Dan99; 03-16-2024 at 07:00 AM.
Nikon1 (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Fuel

Your most consumed product is fuel, they are not all alike.

Drive for a month on ARCO and then switch to Shell.

The video of the tear down of a rocker arm failure shows significant carbon deposits on the valves which is caused by cheap fuel and not running the car hard enough at temperature.

Performance engines need to be run HARD periodically.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunny327
The video of the tear down of a rocker arm failure shows significant carbon deposits on the valves which is caused by cheap fuel and not running the car hard enough at temperature.
That's not what causes carbon build up on the valves in direct injection engines. The back of the valves are no longer washed by the fuel, so the deposits build up instead of being cleaned away. Fuel quality has nothing to do with it. Driving hard can help as it blows more air through the engine and hopefully blows the gunk out before it hardens, and oil separators help to take the oil out of the crank case so it doesn't cake up on the valves. Don't know if the 2.9TT has oil separators from the factories, but you can install aftermarket catch cans for example, although they require periodic maintenance to empty the oil out.
JD15 (03-17-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's not what causes carbon build up on the valves in direct injection engines. The back of the valves are no longer washed by the fuel, so the deposits build up instead of being cleaned away. Fuel quality has nothing to do with it. Driving hard can help as it blows more air through the engine and hopefully blows the gunk out before it hardens, and oil separators help to take the oil out of the crank case so it doesn't cake up on the valves. Don't know if the 2.9TT has oil separators from the factories, but you can install aftermarket catch cans for example, although they require periodic maintenance to empty the oil out.
The EA839 2.9TTV6 has one oil-vapor separator mounted on the left (driver's side) cylinder head/cam carrier.

The EA825 4.0TTV8 (related engine but not used in RS5) has two separators, one per side.
superswiss (03-16-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Correct, or a dual port and direct injection can be used, such as Toyota's D4S system or the dual-injection system that BMW implemented in the B58 TU2.
Old 03-18-2024, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my '19 RS5 coupe (build date11/19) new in August, 2020 and have 29K miles on it. Car is stock save for 12/15mm wheel spacers (purely for cosmetics) and an APR Carbon Fibre intake. I'll go APR Stage 1 when the warranty is up in August. Zero issues thusfar save for replacing the stock summer tires with Conti DWS 06's. I live in the mountains of North Carolina so a high performance all season makes sense for me. As others have commented, I too drive briskly in Sport/Dynamic mode but not hard and always wait for the engine to come up to temp before any any sporty driving. Mine is a low option car (Black Optics, B&O, leather) so I can't speaks to DRC, etc. It's not a daily driver but not a garage queen either - I love road trips as the car just eats miles.

There's not much to add to this comprehensive thread, but I would agree that after AudiCare and the warrantly expire, find a qualified indy shop and you'll save thousands on maintenance and repairs. A tech from our local dealer does side work and maintains my wife's 13 Q5. He'll work on the RS5 when the time comes. Someone will get a great car when I'm ready for something else.

Good luck with your search - The cars are out there.