Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

wheels for Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

My path to OEM Ramus black wheel is documented here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25271535
...and an update on the 20mm spacers here.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25439342
Old 05-26-2020, 06:28 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveSNJ
You expect snow? Here? Surely you jest....I literally never put fuel in my snow blower this past "winter.'
The Pirelli tires on the 18” are Summer Tires which make me very cautious when the temperatures drop into the 30’s or below. As far as snow — I can only hope we get some!

— John
Old 05-26-2020, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 342 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by hollywood_wc
I'm thinking about getting a set of winter rims for my Glacier White - 2019 RS5 SB, any thoughts or photos of what you guys would recommend?
I run Neuspeed RSe102 in 19x9.5" ET25 (added 8mm to be more flush but not required) with some 275/35R19 Michelin Aplins. Great price point for a light strong wheel.

They are available in different colors as well as 20" versions.

I was thinking about that as well, but the standard on my RS5 are 255's on the fronts & 275's on the back , so to keep the car "in alignment" I would need the same. The was a set of BBS ones I liked, but of course they are $2500 a corner.
Not clear on the 255/275 comment. You run a staggered tire set up?

Now if you want something similar to the FI-R, BC Forged has a design similar and can be had in bronze as well, the KL01. They had one with the side pocketing but BBS provided them a nice cease and desist.

Happy to help answer any questions you may have if you want to message.

Old 05-26-2020, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
My RS5 came with 275's on the front and back here in NA. Where did you purchase you RS5? Is there any advantage to the narrower front tires? Are the wheel sizes the same front and rear?
Caulk this up to not having a coffee ... both are 275s ... my bad.
The following users liked this post:
Jimminez@Nemesis (05-26-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Take a look at Hartmann wheels. They are OEM replicas and are available at achtuning.com. I have been using them as my winters for about 15 years.
Can't agree with this more. I've been using them for 12 years and no issues. I just sold my original set so they are still used every year.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 480 Likes on 306 Posts

I was thinking about that as well, but the standard on my RS5 are 255's on the fronts & 275's on the back, so to keep the car "in alignment" I would need the same. The was a set of BBS ones I liked, but of course they are $2500 a corner.
I came close to purchasing a set of these a year ago until I learned that very few were imported in the size used by the B9 RS5 SB. I was told it could take up to 6 months to replace a damaged wheel. Perhaps the supply has improved since then, but I would make sure I could get a replacement wheel in a timely way, if needed.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 480 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm thinking about getting a set of winter rims for my Glacier White - 2019 RS5 SB, any thoughts or photos of what you guys would recommend?
It probably depends on how you use your car in the winter. I live around Chicago and we get more snow than you, but we also don't drive into the mountains. So, first consider how much snow you really drive in, and how often.

The conventional wisdom for winter wheels and tires is to get a smaller wheel with a more narrow, higher profile tire. The smaller wheel provides protection against impacts, the higher profile gives you the same circumference as the stock tires, and the narrow tire provides more pressure per contact patch and, therefore, more traction in slippery conditions. I followed this wisdom for many years on numerous cars. including 2 Porsches, a Mercedes, and 2 previous Audis (B8 S4 and B8.5 S4). However, I took a different direction with my B9 RS5 SB. This time I purchased a second set of wheels that were the same size as the stock wheels and put on winter performance tires the same size as the stock summer tires. I have tried most brands and prefer Michelin. I purchased Pilot Alpin PA4.

I have now driven 2 winters on these wheels and tires and it was the right decision for me. While we do get snow, many more days are spent driving on cold but dry roads. I have not had a bit of trouble getting through snow and the car seems much better than others on the road in the snow. I much prefer it over my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee, which has Michelin All Season tires. Chicago has plenty of potholes, so I decided to stay with *forged* 20" wheels for the winter wheels and my winter wheels have had no problems. In contrast, I just had to repair slight bends in 2 of my forged summer wheels from last summer. Bottom line, my 20" forged winter wheels have done better than my 20" forged summer wheels.

The main reason I took this approach (same size wheels and tires) was that I realized that I sacrificed too much performance with conventional winter wheels and tires, so my car was less playful for 6 months of the year. Consider how many snow days you actually have, how treacherous the roads are in your area, and how you want to drive. The winter performance tires do not provide the same level of performance as the summer tires, but staying with the same size wheels and tires retained more performance than I got by following conventional wisdom.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan99:
dadrocker (06-01-2020), garberfc (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I ran a set of Niche wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpins last winter. We didn't wind up with much snow, but the car performed great in the snow we had. I went with 20 x 9s with a 25 offset and stock tire size. Needed something to clear the brake calipers with the ceramic option.

wheels for Winter?-7vcwttg.jpg

wheels for Winter?-ngmmn9x.jpg

wheels for Winter?-fxlp5ap.jpg
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (08-21-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Those Niche wheels are niche, hadn' thought of the nuespeed ones yet either. I'll keep looking. Keep on posting, nice rides!
Old 06-02-2020, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by jab23
I ran a set of Niche wheels with Michelin Pilot Alpins last winter. We didn't wind up with much snow, but the car performed great in the snow we had. I went with 20 x 9s with a 25 offset and stock tire size. Needed something to clear the brake calipers with the ceramic option.

Just wondering, what's that on the end of your tire iron?

Quick Reply: wheels for Winter?