Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which way to go?

I have a 2018 A5 prestige with a outstanding note. i am looking to maybe go for a 2021 A5 or SQ5. Would it be prudent to pay down the note or save the cash and put down a sizable down payment? Either way the A5 would be a trade in. I would not be ready until May or later in 2021. In going through the numbers the amount of interest I'd be saving is negligible. I spoke to a friend who sells GM products and he says it would make no difference. Any ideas would help. Thanks to all.

Cheers
Z
Old 07-14-2020, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My initial take on it is, as long as you don't owe more than it is worth by the time you go to trade in I wouldn't put any more money towards it. Since you'll almost never make money in a car deal I wouldn't tie up any more money into it that you won't really get back. I'd rather hold the cash until I'm ready to buy the next one.

Just my opinion. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

What do you owe v what the car is worth? What's the current financing rate?

If you're right side up and think you'll continue to be it probably make more sense to set aside $ for a larger down payment. If the current financing deals stick around (0%) you should just do a normal down payment and take the free $.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, as long as you are right side up, let the dealer handle the payoff. The net difference is negligible. Last time I bought, I paid off my car early but the bank took months to send the freakiin' title. If you just trade it in at the dealer and use the equity for the down payment, it's much easier.

Of course, if you can sell privately and get substantially more for your car, that would be the way to go, but selling a car with a lien while not impossible by any means is a bit trickier.
Old 07-14-2020, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWombat
Yeah, as long as you are right side up, let the dealer handle the payoff. The net difference is negligible. Last time I bought, I paid off my car early but the bank took months to send the freakiin' title. If you just trade it in at the dealer and use the equity for the down payment, it's much easier.

Of course, if you can sell privately and get substantially more for your car, that would be the way to go, but selling a car with a lien while not impossible by any means is a bit trickier.
Don't forget that in most states there's a tax benefit to trading; you only pay sales tax on the net (sales price - trade value). If selling privately you'd need to sell for that same percentage more to cover the sales tax difference.
The following users liked this post:
kctiger1983 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If as you say the interest savings is negligible, then hold the cash - one year is a long-way off and you may need/want that extra cash in the future.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you all for your replies. I bought my auto in 07.18 as a CPO. It was a loaner and was never titled so I am the 1st owner with 5 yrs of bumper to bumper coverage. It just turned over 20,000 miles and I owe around $8.000. It is a wonderful car. I am looking forward to many enjoyable mile of fun, spirited driving.

Cheers and thanks again
Z