Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

VPS Resonator Delete finally installed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,248 Likes on 770 Posts
Default VPS Resonator Delete finally installed!

A few shops in my area would not touch the exhaust in fear of Catalytic Converter fines, finally found s shop with some younger mechanics that knew immediately they were resonators and had nothing to do with the Cat-Converter and did the install.

The VPS delete pipes are fantastic!, the two mechanics commented that the kit was spot-on in measurement and quality. On a 2019 S5 B9 Coupe the exhaust is still quiet in comfort mode so that when I'm on a drive with non performance oriented people nobody will ever notice any additional exhaust noise from the car! However, put the car in Sport Mode and it comes alive and sounds impressive. The sounds coming from the exhaust are brilliant! This is how the S5 should have now come from from the factory!

The cold start has a deeper growl, when the car simmers down to the warm idle...a few light presses of the pedal produces deeper tones and and fast raspy burbs. I have zero drone in any drive mode at any RPM. It sounds really great above 3000 RPM in Dynamic/Sport mode. It’s absolutely perfect unless you fancy loud exhausts. Was it worth it...yes, no question about it?

Last edited by synergize; 09-16-2021 at 02:24 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by synergize:
garberfc (09-21-2021), Mortys66 (09-16-2021), Nikon1 (09-16-2021), Noir_2021_RS5 (09-17-2021), Simonizer (09-19-2022), ywang98 (12-22-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-17-2021, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Does that void your warranty? I want to do something like that.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by synergize
A few shops in my area would not touch the exhaust in fear of Catalytic Converter fines, finally found s shop with some younger mechanics that knew immediately they were resonators and had nothing to do with the Cat-Converter and did the install.

The VPS delete pipes are fantastic!, the two mechanics commented that the kit was spot-on in measurement and quality. On a 2019 S5 B9 Coupe the exhaust is still quiet in comfort mode so that when I'm on a drive with non performance oriented people nobody will ever notice any additional exhaust noise from the car! However, put the car in Sport Mode and it comes alive and sounds impressive. The sounds coming from the exhaust are brilliant! This is how the S5 should have now come from from the factory!

The cold start has a deeper growl, when the car simmers down to the warm idle...a few light presses of the pedal produces deeper tones and and fast raspy burbs. I have zero drone in any drive mode at any RPM. It sounds really great above 3000 RPM in Dynamic/Sport mode. It’s absolutely perfect unless you fancy loud exhausts. Was it worth it...yes, no question about it?

also, that looks great by the way
The following users liked this post:
synergize (09-17-2021)
Old 09-17-2021, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Noir_2021_RS5
Does that void your warranty? I want to do something like that.
The consensus on Audizine (a lot more members on Audizine have done VPS and BullX pipes than AudiWorld) say "no," maybe the warranty covering the exhaust is all. That's all I heard about installing the pipes. There is really not much inside the resonators, a funnel shaped sound channel with some sound deadening, the rest is just an empty can/muffler.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,185 Likes on 924 Posts

I can confirm this was one of the best things I have done to my S5. I did it in my garage with the car on jack stands. But it was fairly easy, of great quality, with good instructions, etc. Would highly recommend to anyone. I took the shop foreman for a ride to listen to a creaking noise from the convertible top the other day and he was like "what did you do to the exhaust? sounds so crisp and much better than stock". He was impressed I just removed the front resonators and you can have it quiet or sounding awesome with the factory valves with no drone.

TLDR: car should have come this way from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (09-17-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 146 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I can confirm this was one of the best things I have done to my S5. I did it in my garage with the car on jack stands. But it was fairly easy, of great quality, with good instructions, etc. Would highly recommend to anyone. I took the shop foreman for a ride to listen to a creaking noise from the convertible top the other day and he was like "what did you do to the exhaust? sounds so crisp and much better than stock". He was impressed I just removed the front resonators and you can have it quiet or sounding awesome with the factory valves with no drone.

TLDR: car should have come this way from the factory.
You guys have me interested. My biggest fear is drone and not having the flexibility of the valves.

Did you guys use the same kit? Any "side effects" other than the improved sound?
Old 09-21-2021, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by inphra
You guys have me interested. My biggest fear is drone and not having the flexibility of the valves.

Did you guys use the same kit? Any "side effects" other than the improved sound?
I did this and unplugged my valves and I STILL have no drone. Car sounds better but still too quiet for my liking. I want to sound like a formula 1 car lol.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by inphra

What do you mean by not having the flexibility of the valves?
Old 09-21-2021, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I just removed the front resonators and you can have it quiet or sounding awesome with the factory valves with no drone.
Drone?

does it make that popcorn sound?
Old 09-21-2021, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The resonator delete does not remove the valves. They are still functional. Unlike some other's on here, I like having the option to quiet down the exhaust so I have not disabled my valves. When I want the full effect of the resonator delete, I just drop it in "S"

Quick Reply: VPS Resonator Delete finally installed!