Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Turbo identification on recently purchased S5

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Turbo identification on recently purchased S5

So long story short, I purchased this car last year and have no contact with the previous owner. Can anybody identify which turbo this is by any chance or let me know where I can look to possibly identify it? The vehicle is a 2019 S5. Sorry if this picture is not helpful. If there's is something else I can photograph instead that would provide a better clue without taking a bunch of stuff apart let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated. The vehicle has an aftermarket exhaust, intercooler, downpipe, and intake so I'm trying to figure out if the turbo is OEM or if this has been upgraded as well. The black housing on the front is leading me to believe that it is not OEM.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

Interesting indeed - you likely have some sort of hybrid there, as I can't imagine someone doing that to a stock turbo. There's a small ID plate right about where I'm pointing the arrow - let us know what you find. Was there an aftermarket inlet or intake on there as well?

Old 01-12-2024, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this to be very interesting...Never seen a black housing...Or a "Stage 2 Hybrid"

https://www.emdauto.com/products/tur...33427145556056

Old 01-13-2024, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by miked89
So long story short, I purchased this car last year and have no contact with the previous owner. Can anybody identify which turbo this is by any chance or let me know where I can look to possibly identify it? The vehicle is a 2019 S5. Sorry if this picture is not helpful. If there's is something else I can photograph instead that would provide a better clue without taking a bunch of stuff apart let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated. The vehicle has an aftermarket exhaust, intercooler, downpipe, and intake so I'm trying to figure out if the turbo is OEM or if this has been upgraded as well. The black housing on the front is leading me to believe that it is not OEM.

Good find on the TS model. Just like Pure Turbos, they offer different levels of power, the the Stage 2 is likely their higher power. Check with Andy at Open Road Tuning (aka ORT Motorsports), as he could have sold it to the prior owner.

Last edited by FastS5coupe; 01-13-2024 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2024, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbosystems

Just went to TS site. Link below. Looks like they offer 3 models for the B9, Stage 1-3. Specs included.

https://www.turbosystems.info/produc...e-turbocharger

Old 01-13-2024, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LYFESGD
Found this to be very interesting...Never seen a black housing...Or a "Stage 2 Hybrid"

https://www.emdauto.com/products/tur...33427145556056
After looking around this company also sells the same down pipe and intercooler I have on my vehicle so my gut is telling me it’s one of the two turbos they offer since theirs also has that black housing on the front. I reached out to the company to see if they could help me identify it.
Old 01-13-2024, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also I don’t know how I missed this when I looked at it the other day but there is a part number on the front

Old 01-13-2024, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by miked89
Also I don’t know how I missed this when I looked at it the other day but there is a part number on the front
That's a VW/Audi number on the stock housing - did you not look at the plate I pointed to in the post above? The identifying info should be there.
Old 01-13-2024, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Andy_FL
That's a VW/Audi number on the stock housing - did you not look at the plate I pointed to in the post above? The identifying info should be there.
I did, and I did not see any info there
Old 01-15-2024, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So little update.

That ID plate that should be visible on the side of the turbo housing that was mentioned earlier in the thread appears to be painted over. As does the whole front housing which has been what has been throwing me in trying to identify this thing.

I also got my flashing module in from 034 Motorsports and the car is currently running a Stage 3 TCU and Stage 3 TTE710 ECU tune. Does this mean the previous owner more than likely installed the TTE710 Turbo? There would be no point in running that particular flash otherwise, right?

Also, I did a little 0-60 run the other day and it came in at 3.51. I feel like this is a little sluggish for a Stage 3 Tune but maybe I’m expecting too much. That’s full weight on 93 octane.

UPDATE: did another 0-60 under better conditions and let the boost build up a little more this time around. 3.059, much happier with that. So close to under 3 sec.

Last edited by miked89; 01-15-2024 at 05:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo identification on recently purchased S5