Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Transmission Fluid Change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,247 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by rs5and12e
Would be nice to see a how to posted at some point on this forum regarding both diff and transmission.
Agreed, a "how to" on the trans/diff would be a good resource, but I don't think anyone has 60k miles on their car yet, but soon as you said.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,901 Likes on 1,614 Posts

The general process for filling a ZF trans is the same as before, so look for videos on the 0BK from the B8.
The specifics of the 0D5 can be found in the workshop manuals (why Audi decided to split the transmission stuff into two documents, who knows), such as the torque spec and sequence for the different pan, etc.
The temp involved might be different. For the 0D5, it's start the level check process at 30°C or less, the check point is 40°C (some fluid should drip out by 40°C). If none drips out, the fluid is low, add fluid, must seal before 45°C then redo the check process to confirm.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...may not be 100% relevent on this topic....but UK dealers do it forst at the 38k mile mark and it cost me about £350. Took all day to do it (cool down).
Old 03-28-2022, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid Smoke
So Audi's maintenance guide doesn't specify the fluid change, they call it lifetime. But ZF, the manufacturer of the transmission, recommends I believe around 50-70k miles somewhere there, so you're at a good point to do it now. Someone else can chime in with more accurate cost and details, but I'd estimate maybe a few hundred, within $500 seems reasonable, the fluid itself is pretty expensive.
correct. I would tell most people to aim for 60K miles unless you have the car tuned or it sees regular track duty. I plan on doing mine at 50 or 60K.

Originally Posted by SMac770
For the type 0D5, same as the type 0BK and 0B6 before it, Audi says never, "lifetime fill".
ZF, who actually makes it, says between 80k and 120k km (50 - 75k miles) depending on driving style, after 8 years at the most.

There should be plenty of kit info out there on the usual parts stores for the type 0D5 (Audi AL552-8Q, ie ZF 8HP65A) using in the B9, with its plastic pan and integrated filter.
Not to be confused with the type 0BK (Audi AL551-8Q, ie ZF 8HP55A) used in the B8, with its metal pan and separate filter, when you're looking at the kits.
correct.

Originally Posted by DaveSNJ
And, in the US, you might need to use an independent Audi shop. I don't think dealers will do the fluid swap, but don't hold me to this.
your dealer should do whatever you ask of them. they have full access to information on how to service every part of the car. whether they want to put in the time to figure out how to do something they have never done before is another story.

best bet is an indy mechanic who can source fluid much cheaper (probably from pentosin or ravenol) and charge 1/2 as much in labor.

Originally Posted by 2DaLab
That’s interesting. For the S tronic, it’s at 40k, and covered by AudiCare.
totally different transmission.

Originally Posted by SMac770
The general process for filling a ZF trans is the same as before, so look for videos on the 0BK from the B8.
The specifics of the 0D5 can be found in the workshop manuals (why Audi decided to split the transmission stuff into two documents, who knows), such as the torque spec and sequence for the different pan, etc.
The temp involved might be different. For the 0D5, it's start the level check process at 30°C or less, the check point is 40°C (some fluid should drip out by 40°C). If none drips out, the fluid is low, add fluid, must seal before 45°C then redo the check process to confirm.
correct. take a look at this. videos are included. thank me later.
https://blog.fcpeuro.com/how-to-chan...d-transmission
The following users liked this post:
NJS5 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I called an Audi dealer and was told that it should be done at 60k miles and that it would cost $599. Does that price seem reasonable?
Old 03-28-2022, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

An update to my previous post. I called an independent mechanic who deals with Audi and he took my info to call me back. He just called me and said to me that he was told that the folks at the local Audi dealership (parts department) told him that there shouldn't be a service done on my specific transmission. He was also told by them that my tranny doesn't have a replaceable filter and that it should last 200k miles. I told him that the price and service I got was from that exact same dealer. He said he spoke to the guys in the parts department where as I spoke to the service department. Now I'm really confused.

From the videos I've seen on this tranny, it seems that the filter was integrated into the bottom part of the tranny and is replaced along with the fluid, which would account fort the high price. What do you guys think I should do?
Old 03-28-2022, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,247 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by wiltedjoint
An update to my previous post. I called an independent mechanic who deals with Audi and he took my info to call me back. He just called me and said to me that he was told that the folks at the local Audi dealership (parts department) told him that there shouldn't be a service done on my specific transmission. He was also told by them that my tranny doesn't have a replaceable filter and that it should last 200k miles. I told him that the price and service I got was from that exact same dealer. He said he spoke to the guys in the parts department where as I spoke to the service department. Now I'm really confused.

From the videos I've seen on this tranny, it seems that the filter was integrated into the bottom part of the tranny and is replaced along with the fluid, which would account fort the high price. What do you guys think I should do?
On this one, I would follow the manufacturer recommendation (they know their trans better than Audi) and change it between 60 and 70k or 8 years max time. If a dealer did the change they would probably use the wrong fluid or add too much, kind of like some of the oil changes members have complained about over the years. Find a good private mechanic and source your own (Ravenol: it's German) fluid...it's about a 60 to 90 minute task. If the mechanic does a good job, tip him, tell him you will be back for future work. You will be happy, the mechanic will be happy and your Audi will be happy, everyone wins. F--the dealer.

Last edited by synergize; 03-28-2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Anyone have a good mechanic recommendation for central Florida?
Old 03-29-2022, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by wiltedjoint
I called an Audi dealer and was told that it should be done at 60k miles and that it would cost $599. Does that price seem reasonable?
your indy sounds like they either have no idea what they are talking about or just don't want to do the job.
honestly $599 with $250+ worth of parts and fluid is not bad from a stealership, I would just go there and get it done. at least they will use the right fluid and genuine parts and you can drive for many more miles worry free.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:42 AM
B9 S5 Sportback/4M Q7

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Some info here regarding transmission fluid change and part numbers. I plan on buying a transmission service kit from ECS. About $500 IIRC https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change?