Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

So back from the dragstrip with some tune only passes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by primetime
LOL! No worries... Thanks! TBH I think it has more in it as it sits, DA aside, but not sure I'll run it again as it sits... The launch is tricky and like I mentioned I need a little more practice but certainly left some ET on the table with the launch and conditions. I'm certainly not disappointed but was hoping for 11.1x I do agree the stock times were very impressive especially with the low miles on the car so to me I was more impressed with them than the tune times, again still very good imo... I'd say a .4-.5 and 4-5mph bump is what to expect in similar conditions. I saw a 4.37mph increase best trap vs best trap and a .3683 ET improvement best ET to best ET. Curious to see what you run if you go stock in killer DA's... Also, hoping NBRS5SB runs his car when in MI to see what he gets... Just not enough data out there yet at this point...

As for street driving it's very fun, I drive in manual mode and usually everything dynamic except the suspension but it's very responsive with instant tq/pull. Tune is certainly noticeable over stock... Car shifts flawlessly and I'm starting to like the tranny more and more since the DSG's in my S4 and Porsche seem to be finicky sometimes especially the S4. Car is certainly faster when in straight up dynamic mode but it's to harsh for me on the street to run in that mode all the time... So far no complaints I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to some more mods and a 10 second slip
All sounds pretty good. One thing with my car, it’s a Sportback and doesn’t have the dynamic package(so no sport exhaust) Not sure how that effects power. I ran into another RS5 with the sport exhaust... the owner and I were comparing sound in the parking lot... if there is a difference it’s hard to notice. I think the Sportback weighs 80-90lbs more if my memory serves me right. My car did also only trap 114 on it’s best pass. Which I was somewhat disappointed with to be honest. But I only made three passes so hard to say. I don’t drive my car a lot either, but more than you do. I’m at 4.8k at about one year old.
As soon as we get through this hot humid time here in S.FL I’ll get to the track again. Hoping for some improvement on my best pass.
The following users liked this post:
primetime (09-12-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Well I blew that. Inflated the tires to 40 on the trip up because when temp got to 49, tire pressure monitor went off saying pressure to low. It was reading about 30 per tire and didn’t correct herself when air warmed. So I inflated as best I could without a gauge and reset to those readings and kept going from Florida to Michigan.

DA was not great, very humid. Ran 11.5 with tons of spin and a crappy 60 ft. Time. Let it cool and ran an 11.4 by using about half throttle at the start, but still tons of spin and a crappy 60 ft. Time. Has to leave as it was getting crowded, and of course as I am driving away realize I should have been running about 28-30 in the tires for a good ( 1.5s) 60 ft. Time. Idiot.

the math says in the mid 1.5s which is very realistic, it is a 10 second car, and she runs like one.will have to wait for cool air to return here in Florida and take her to PBI and do it right.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
ezgif.com-gif-maker.mov (2.56 MB, 15 views)
primetime (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NBRS5SB
Well I blew that. Inflated the tires to 40 on the trip up because when temp got to 49, tire pressure monitor went off saying pressure to low. It was reading about 30 per tire and didn’t correct herself when air warmed. So I inflated as best I could without a gauge and reset to those readings and kept going from Florida to Michigan.

DA was not great, very humid. Ran 11.5 with tons of spin and a crappy 60 ft. Time. Let it cool and ran an 11.4 by using about half throttle at the start, but still tons of spin and a crappy 60 ft. Time. Has to leave as it was getting crowded, and of course as I am driving away realize I should have been running about 28-30 in the tires for a good ( 1.5s) 60 ft. Time. Idiot.

the math says in the mid 1.5s which is very realistic, it is a 10 second car, and she runs like one.will have to wait for cool air to return here in Florida and take her to PBI and do it right.
Nice! Thanks for going and sharing the results... What day and time were the runs? Just curious want to look up the DA... Based on the video you definitely spun bad... I felt the same when I tried to launch at full boost so I dialed back a little and cut a mid 1.5x 60ft. I haven't played with tire pressure yet but will be going Sat. as temps are to be in the 50's here and I want to take advantage of them and hopefully launch at full boost with little to no spin. I'll probably leave the fronts around 36-38 and drop the rears to 28-32... Should have a killer DA so looking forward to it, still tune only car... Your trap seems a little lower than I thought it would with your mods and the spinning should only help that. This was on 93 fuel I assume? Thought you be 120+ on 93 with the tune, cats, intake, etc. When you ran on the street and hit 11.3 what were the traps? Good stuff, wish more people would hit the strip so we have more data!
Old 09-16-2020, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice! Thanks for going and sharing the results... What day and time were the runs? Just curious want to look up the DA... Based on the video you definitely spun bad... I felt the same when I tried to launch at full boost so I dialed back a little and cut a mid 1.5x 60ft. I haven't played with tire pressure yet but will be going Sat. as temps are to be in the 50's here and I want to take advantage of them and hopefully launch at full boost with little to no spin. I'll probably leave the fronts around 36-38 and drop the rears to 28-32... Should have a killer DA so looking forward to it, still tune only car... Your trap seems a little lower than I thought it would with your mods and the spinning should only help that. This was on 93 fuel I assume? Thought you be 120+ on 93 with the tune, cats, intake, etc. When you ran on the street and hit 11.3 what were the traps? Good stuff, wish more people would hit the strip so we have more data!
the track was Milan Dragway, September 9th, between 4-5:30 pm. Your absolutely correct, the Dragy 11.3-11.4 times I have run on regular pavement had 119- high 119 trap speeds, but 60 ft times of 1.7s. I really believe this car is capable of 1.5s, and you can see my best 60 ft was not as good as your worst.

i know better, was just not thinking and in a hurry. The good news was I had better times than all of s the stands, Camaros and SRTs that were there early. There was a nice BMW X5M modded well, running 11.4-11.5. Just need to add a little higher octane, lower the tire pressure, and get some decent air. Might not be until November/December down here though.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NBRS5SB

I live 15 min from PBIR... let me know when your headed out. I’ll come out with my stock RS5 SB. I do the AutoX and big track there with my Vette all the time. I’m literally there at least once a month.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

680 on the car, little over 700 now... lol Just got it a about a month ago and I don't drive a ton. It won't see 10K mile for 10+ years... If you're worried about break in don't I've done hard break in with all my cars, also if it blows I'll build it at my expense... It's a toy and I want to go fast...
My man! At the recommendation of a reputable tuner I've worked with a ton over the last 10 years, I adhere to a similar "hard break-in" method.

Originally Posted by DCB1951
Just to be clear, when you say "680 miles on it", "it" refers to the mileage since you got the APR tune and not the reading on your vehicle's odometer, right?
Originally Posted by DCB1951
​​​
Full break-in procedure I performed on my RS5, with 15 miles on it:
Drive it off the lot to a nearby back road. Then, once fully up to operating temp, I let it climb to 6K RPM in 2nd gear at ~50% throttle. Once I hit 6K RPM, I let it engine brake down to 1.5K RPM. Rinse and repeat 12-15 times, back to back. After that, I consider the rings/seals seated and break-in complete... at ~20 miles on the ODO.

I did this with my old STI's, my B8.5 S4 and F80 M3. All inevitably tuned/modded, some to extreme levels, and never an issue. None of these cars burned any notable amount of oil for the entire duration of ownership.

Honestly, I figured that at this point most people disregarded the unnecessarily long manufacturer specified break-in periods.

Last edited by Dads_RS; 09-17-2020 at 06:34 AM.
primetime (09-19-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 225 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads_RS
My man! At the recommendation of a reputable tuner I've worked with a ton over the last 10 years, I adhere to a similar "hard break-in" method.

Full break-in procedure I performed on my RS5, with 15 miles on it:
Drive it off the lot to a nearby back road. Then, once fully up to operating temp, I let it climb to 6K RPM in 2nd gear at ~50% throttle. Once I hit 6K RPM, I let it engine brake down to 1.5K RPM. Rinse and repeat 12-15 times, back to back. After that, I consider the rings/seals seated and break-in complete... at ~20 miles on the ODO.

I did this with my old STI's, my B8.5 S4 and F80 M3. All inevitably tuned/modded, some to extreme levels, and never an issue. None of these cars burned any notable amount of oil for the entire duration of ownership.

Honestly, I figured that at this point most people disregarded the unnecessarily long manufacturer specified break-in periods.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hit the strip today as we had great weather... Unfortunately, there was a big Renegade race so got two passes all day and then bailed as I didn't want to wait another 3+ hours... sigh... Line was about a 1/2 mile long to get in so car heat soaked while waiting and then of course I had to run 10 minutes later because they ran street cars first and then had to wait 4 hours for another pass...

DA was 827 per dragtimes for the 1st pass but again car was smoking hot... Shallow staged well and got a little wheel spin on launch and car shifted perfectly and felt very strong... Got the below....

1.5917 60ft
4.6306 330ft
7.1740 1/8 mile
96.04 1/8 mph
9.3602 1000 foot et
11.2247 1/4 time
120.86 mph

So nearly identical ET, trap and 60 as last time but I was optimistic given how warm the car was... New best for the car fwiw... lol

Then I waited and waited and waited... Car was literally cold and I knew it could be a great run... Finally got my chance again and the guy that I was racing quick staged, no biggie I triggered the first light and then crept to the second. Normally, they'll give you a second once you trigger the 2nd yellow but it was so packed they were rushing so I literally triggered the 2nd and boom the tree was going. Wasn't worried about racing him so I left braked and stomped the gas, well I didn't have the brake down hard enough and the car lurched forward so I just hammered the gas but the clock had started so I went 11.44, but I did trap 121.16. With a 1.5x launch it was a 11.1x run for sure, but whatever. I didn't want to wait another several hours so I bailed... Was pretty pissed but it's my fault as I should have been more firm on the brake... Will probably go Wed. but we'll see... Hoping the have the APR intake very soon...

Old 09-20-2020, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting it ran more or less the same after idling in line before running. Nice run.