Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

So back from the dragstrip with some tune only passes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default So back from the dragstrip with some tune only passes...

Took my 2019 RS5 coupe to the dragstrip to get some tune only passes today...

APR 100 tune, 680 miles on it, 3/8 - 1/4 tank of Sunoco GT260... DA was 2,092 per dragtimes, my weather station once again showed slightly higher... So decent DA but certainly not great...

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php?temperature=70.04&rh=58&altset=30.2 1&elevation=1230&track=58&month=009&day=005&year=2 020&time=09/05/2020%2012:00:00

Run 1 - Got there and let the car cool down for 45 minutes and then as soon as they called us I went right into the staging lanes and was first in line. All nannies off, dynamic mode and let the car shift itself. APR was kind enough to give me the tune with LC, and I had practiced a few times on the street but probably not enough. I reved the car to 3K and built boost and launched really close to peak boost, and got a tiny bit of spin which is why the 60 was 1.60 as my other 2 passes had better 60's. Car ran great and shifted flawlessly and I knew it was a decent time... Drove around and got the slip...

1.6000 60ft
4.6406 330ft
7.1860 1/8 mile
95.82 1/8 mph
9.3731 1000 foot et
11.2395 1/4 time
120.87 mph

Made two more passes an 11.27 at 120.87(same exact mph! lol) and a 11.56 at 119.29 but with a 1.5750 60ft, unfortunately someone before me left some oil on the track so the car got a little squirrely at the 330 mark and I had to let off to keep it straight. Sucks because I think that was going to be a 11.1x pass but at least I didn't hit the wall... I also launched with about 1/2 boost on the gauge which I think may be the sweet spot with stock tires. Also, interesting thing is I triggered the tpms when I got squirrely. Checked all the tires and they were at 38 so I reset it and all appears well so that was kind of interesting... lol

Overall, very happy with the tune as APR once again has done a great job, it works great and is a hoot on the street. I know the car has another tenth or so in it with a perfect launch and probably another tenth with better DA so 10's on this tune alone is possible but around me killer DA's are going to require cold temps so launching w/o spin may be a challenge... Guess we'll find out as the fall comes through...

Will probably have APR flash the 104 file and make some passes on that, I won't keep the car on that tune as I like driving it too much and don't want to pour pails all the time. lol I like the 100 tune to get the extra power but still be able to buy pump gas since a couple stations sell it locally at the pump which makes it convenient. Also, will be testing the APR intake hopefully soon!

The following users liked this post:
stwus (09-21-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by primetime

APR 100 tune, 680 miles on it, 3/8 - 1/4 tank of Sunoco GT260... DA was 2,092 per dragtimes, my weather station once again showed slightly higher... So decent DA but certainly not great...

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-altitude-calculator.php?temperature=70.04&rh=58&altset=30.2 1&elevation=1230&track=58&month=009&day=005&year=2 020&time=09/05/2020%2012:00:00

Run 1 - Got there and let the car cool down for 45 minutes and then as soon as they called us I went right into the staging lanes and was first in line. All nannies off, dynamic mode and let the car shift itself. APR was kind enough to give me the tune with LC, and I had practiced a few times on the street but probably not enough. I reved the car to 3K and built boost and launched really close to peak boost, and got a tiny bit of spin which is why the 60 was 1.60 as my other 2 passes had better 60's. Car ran great and shifted flawlessly and I knew it was a decent time... Drove around and got the slip...

1.6000 60ft
4.6406 330ft
7.1860 1/8 mile
95.82 1/8 mph
9.3731 1000 foot et
11.2395 1/4 time
120.87 mph

Made two more passes an 11.27 at 120.87(same exact mph! lol) and a 11.56 at 119.29 but with a 1.5750 60ft, unfortunately someone before me left some oil on the track so the car got a little squirrely at the 330 mark and I had to let off to keep it straight. Sucks because I think that was going to be a 11.1x pass but at least I didn't hit the wall... I also launched with about 1/2 boost on the gauge which I think may be the sweet spot with stock tires. Also, interesting thing is I triggered the tpms when I got squirrely. Checked all the tires and they were at 38 so I reset it and all appears well so that was kind of interesting... lol

Overall, very happy with the tune as APR once again has done a great job, it works great and is a hoot on the street. I know the car has another tenth or so in it with a perfect launch and probably another tenth with better DA so 10's on this tune alone is possible but around me killer DA's are going to require cold temps so launching w/o spin may be a challenge... Guess we'll find out as the fall comes through...

Will probably have APR flash the 104 file and make some passes on that, I won't keep the car on that tune as I like driving it too much and don't want to pour pails all the time. lol I like the 100 tune to get the extra power but still be able to buy pump gas since a couple stations sell it locally at the pump which makes it convenient. Also, will be testing the APR intake hopefully soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ppNDx9DQE

great runs!!

Throw some catless DPs and you may be 10s.

i am running the VR tune ( VERY pleased) Armytrix Catless DPs, CTS Intake and ABT cooling. Have hit 11.3 on Dragy often, but that’s in horrible South Florida DA and with lots of slippage. The VR tune is like APR in that I can run higher octane, but I need no flash. Just throw it in and car adapts. Haven’t wasted my time on that yet, just too humid here right now.

i am heading to Michigan next week for golf outing with buds, and will try to hit Milan Dragway with good fuel if time allows.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 225 Likes on 135 Posts

APR 100 tune, 680 miles on it, ...

Just to be clear, when you say "680 miles on it", "it" refers to the mileage since you got the APR tune and not the reading on your vehicle's odometer, right?
Old 09-06-2020, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by DCB1951
Just to be clear, when you say "680 miles on it", "it" refers to the mileage since you got the APR tune and not the reading on your vehicle's odometer, right?
I would guess that is total mileage for Primetime on the RS5. Great times for initial tune runs.

Last edited by m444; 09-06-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NBRS5SB
great runs!!

i am running the VR tune ( VERY pleased) Armytrix Catless DPs, CTS Intake and ABT cooling. Have hit 11.3 on Dragy often, but that’s in horrible South Florida DA and with lots of slippage. The VR tune is like APR in that I can run higher octane, but I need no flash. Just throw it in and car adapts. Haven’t wasted my time on that yet, just too humid here right now.

i am heading to Michigan next week for golf outing with buds, and will try to hit Milan Dragway with good fuel if time allows.
Do you mean the VF engineering tune?
Old 09-06-2020, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NBRS5SB
great runs!!

Thanks! It has more in it now but agreed... Going to do intake first to see the impact of that, but may do 104 tune even before that... we'll see... Track is open through Nov. weather permitting so should have tune, intake, and exhaust by end of the season... Car may need a sticker tire too but that won't help in the cold...

Would love to hear more about the tune and would be great to see some times from up in MI for you. SB has a litte extra weight but you should go high 10s with your mods and good air...

Originally Posted by DCB1951
680 on the car, little over 700 now... lol Just got it a about a month ago and I don't drive a ton. It won't see 10K mile for 10+ years... If you're worried about break in don't I've done hard break in with all my cars, also if it blows I'll build it at my expense... It's a toy and I want to go fast...

Originally Posted by m444
I would guess that is total mileage for Primetime on the RS5. Great times for initial tune runs.
Correct Thanks man! Agreed but was hoping for 11.1x and think I left some ET on the table once I get the LC and traction down it'll go quicker...

Originally Posted by RCJH88
Do you mean the VF engineering tune?
There is a VR tune so not sure which he has, curious on his review and some track times either way...
https://www.vrtuned.com/tuned-ecu-fl...152665170.html

Old 09-06-2020, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 225 Likes on 135 Posts

680 on the car, little over 700 now... lol Just got it a about a month ago and I don't drive a ton. It won't see 10K mile for 10+ years... If you're worried about break in don't I've done hard break in with all my cars, also if it blows I'll build it at my expense... It's a toy and I want to go fast...

Old 09-07-2020, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

https://www.vividracing.com/tuned-ec...152820069.html

this is the tune I am running. Had to ship the ECU to have it unlocked and bench tuned. But the good thing is they ustomized it not to throw codes on the catless DPs I put on.
Also, can run much higher octane without doing a thing besides pumping gas.

as for i review, could not be more happy. Smooth, linear , seemingly endless power under acceleration, but not even noticeable otherwise.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure how I missed this thread. Great results. To be honest, your results are about what I would expect for the 100 tune. The question is this...is the 0.4 and 4mph gain to be expected vs stock, or is the 11.2 at 120 the expected 100 octane number. Your stock times were so strong I wonder which is the case. Either way you are knocking on the 10 sec door.
on a side note... how is the feel of the car on the street with the tune? Torque delivery, power?
Old 09-10-2020, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by IamRacerX
Not sure how I missed this thread. Great results. To be honest, your results are about what I would expect for the 100 tune. The question is this...is the 0.4 and 4mph gain to be expected vs stock, or is the 11.2 at 120 the expected 100 octane number. Your stock times were so strong I wonder which is the case. Either way you are knocking on the 10 sec door.
on a side note... how is the feel of the car on the street with the tune? Torque delivery, power?
LOL! No worries... Thanks! TBH I think it has more in it as it sits, DA aside, but not sure I'll run it again as it sits... The launch is tricky and like I mentioned I need a little more practice but certainly left some ET on the table with the launch and conditions. I'm certainly not disappointed but was hoping for 11.1x I do agree the stock times were very impressive especially with the low miles on the car so to me I was more impressed with them than the tune times, again still very good imo... I'd say a .4-.5 and 4-5mph bump is what to expect in similar conditions. I saw a 4.37mph increase best trap vs best trap and a .3683 ET improvement best ET to best ET. Curious to see what you run if you go stock in killer DA's... Also, hoping NBRS5SB runs his car when in MI to see what he gets... Just not enough data out there yet at this point...

As for street driving it's very fun, I drive in manual mode and usually everything dynamic except the suspension but it's very responsive with instant tq/pull. Tune is certainly noticeable over stock... Car shifts flawlessly and I'm starting to like the tranny more and more since the DSG's in my S4 and Porsche seem to be finicky sometimes especially the S4. Car is certainly faster when in straight up dynamic mode but it's to harsh for me on the street to run in that mode all the time... So far no complaints I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to some more mods and a 10 second slip

Quick Reply: So back from the dragstrip with some tune only passes...