Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Single downshift in automatic transmission mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cantara256
I have a 2018 S5 Cabriolet. Is there a way, when in automatic transmission mode, to have the left paddle do a single downshift but otherwise remain in automatic mode?

Thank you!
How can something remain in automatic mode if you override the automatic selection!??!?!?
Old 03-30-2022, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
How can something remain in automatic mode if you override the automatic selection!??!?!?
Because it's useful?
Old 03-30-2022, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Because it's useful?
Automatic means that the selection is automatically made. If you override this automatic selection, then it can't be in automatic anymore.

Something can't be in automatic and in manual mode at the same time. It simply doesn't make sense.
The following users liked this post:
DCB1951 (03-31-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Automatic means that the selection is automatically made. If you override this automatic selection, then it can't be in automatic anymore.

Something can't be in automatic and in manual mode at the same time. It simply doesn't make sense.
I'm glad it doesn't make sense to you. It does to me. Thank god we're all different!
Old 03-30-2022, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm glad it doesn't make sense to you. It does to me. Thank god we're all different!
Ok, imagine you have an oven with automatic temperature selection. How could you manually decrease the oven temperature and expect the oven to stay in automatic mode?
Old 03-30-2022, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ok, imagine you have an oven with automatic temperature selection. How could you manually decrease the oven temperature and expect the oven to stay in automatic mode?
I don't care. There's transmission lag when I hit the gas, no matter what mode I'm in. This is a nice bonus of electric vehicles and newer "mild hybrid" cars: you hit the gas, and it accelerates instantly.

I drove a stick for 30 years and greatly appreciate my new Audi transmission, but I miss instant response. Being able to do a single downshift in Auto mode would elegantly solve this for me, as I don't want to go back to manual driving.

This will go away in a few years as newer cars will either be electric or mild-hybrid, but for now, transmission lag on first acceleration in Auto Sport mode kinda sucks.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 485 Likes on 309 Posts

So based on a YouTube video on this topic, if you downshift with the left paddle, you can then press and hold the right paddle and a couple seconds after upshifting, it will switch back to automatic.

It's too bad there isn't a way to do a single downshift, for me this covers 90% of my needs for manual shifting.
Your original post asked to do a single down-shift then remain in automatic. I took that to mean you wanted to stay in one gear lower than the transmission would normally choose. If you want to stay in a lower gear, just drive in Sport.

This post, however, seems to indicate you only want the lower gear for a brief period. If you only want to stay in the lower gear temporarily, as described in this post, you can use the paddles to upshift, but you can also quickly move the shift lever right then left. This motion quickly toggles manual mode then automatic, and the transmission reverts to automatic mode immediately. You do have to remove your hands from the steering wheel, so the approach you choose just becomes a matter of personal preference.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan99:
cantara256 (03-31-2022), FLOS5IN (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't care. There's transmission lag when I hit the gas, no matter what mode I'm in. This is a nice bonus of electric vehicles and newer "mild hybrid" cars: you hit the gas, and it accelerates instantly.

I drove a stick for 30 years and greatly appreciate my new Audi transmission, but I miss instant response. Being able to do a single downshift in Auto mode would elegantly solve this for me, as I don't want to go back to manual driving.

This will go away in a few years as newer cars will either be electric or mild-hybrid, but for now, transmission lag on first acceleration in Auto Sport mode kinda sucks.
I also don't follow what exactly you're getting at. If you want to downshift one gear and you're in Auto, just use the left paddle. It will downshift one gear and remain in manual for a little while before it reverts back to auto (do not think of this as full manual, because it will still automatically shift for you). If you don't like that, then do what Dan99 says and quickly pop the shift **** over to manual and downshift to your liking and then pop it back to auto.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 522 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by FLOS5IN
If you don't like that, then do what Dan99 says and quickly pop the shift **** over to manual and downshift to your liking and then pop it back to auto.
After shifting with the paddles, you can also return to full auto immediately by pulling the shifter rearward.
The following users liked this post:
cantara256 (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiftyWolf
After shifting with the paddles, you can also return to full auto immediately by pulling the shifter rearward.
Yes but only when the shifter is in auto not manual

Quick Reply: Single downshift in automatic transmission mode