Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

SB or Cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SB or Cabrio?

I find myself in an odd place.

I have a SB on order (took over a dealer ordered car and customized it) Car is on its way to port in Germany. It's basically a loaded prestige SB in Navarra Blue.

I'm a ragtop guy, I have a 1976 Triumph TR6, I feel teased by every S5 Cabrio I see lately. I just stopped by the dealer to look at what was on the lot and they got an S5 Cabrio in Navarra Blue, the color looks great....

I am 52, divorced, 1st kid going to college (paid for), 2 more going in 2 years. Have my daughter's Subaru Forester if I need to Haul anything & my GF's MB GLK, so while the room of a SB is great, I CAN easily live with the cabrio...

yeah, it's a tad slower than the SB due to weight... but it's a droptop.. Price isn't enough of a difference to push the argument.. Any thoughts appreciated..

I'm also thinking i may wait for the 2019 RS5 cabrio and trade whatever I get now on that..
Old 05-16-2017, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you call yourself a ragtop guy, it seems you've already answered that question. Any issue backing out of a car that you customized though? On the other hand, if you already have the TR6 it seems you've got that covered. If the TR6 were your only convertible option, you would have more excuses to get it out on the road.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd say cab FTW, beautiful and also you get slightly sportier/roomier seats
Old 05-16-2017, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 496 Likes on 337 Posts

Have driven (and ordered) the S5 Cabriolet. It is excellent - for me, the improvements of the B9 over the B8 model change are even more obvious with the cab version. The stiffer chassis is very noticeable.

It has the shorter wheelbase of the S5 Coupé rather than the Sportback (which is the same as the S4), which I prefer as it gives it a bit more agility. They have judged the ride (on adaptive suspension, at least) really well. It is a little softer than the Coupé and Sportback, but handles extremely well in Dynamic mode, and is very compliant (and quiet) in Comfort. It is the best cabriolet I have driven, and I'm not normally a fan (my wife likes them).

Drive it and see what you think. If cabriolets are where your heart is, then why not? And the seats are the same as the Sportback, so didn't get RSQ9's post, unless they have done something weird with US spec cars.

My understanding is there will not be a B9 RS5 Cabriolet.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse

Drive it and see what you think. If cabriolets are where your heart is, then why not? And the seats are the same as the Sportback, so didn't get RSQ9's post, unless they have done something weird with US spec cars.

My understanding is there will not be a B9 RS5 Cabriolet.
funny as I've always considered my TR6 as "cursed" because it never gave me problems, this AM the new battery was dead and when i went to jump it this evening, i hooked up the jumpers backwards and probablby fried the alternator.. it's a "cool" car, but it is not really a great driver, especially when compare to today's car.. My Landrover Evoque drives better...

Funny as I looked at my landrover all cleaned up for sale, and think it looks pretty good. Just tired of it after 3 1/2 years.

going for a ride in @morecowbell32's S5SB on Thursday AM and then driving the Cabrio on thursday afternoon, will decide then.

as for the RS5 cabrio. I know what they say, but I have a strong belief (as ratified by a local large dealer) that the newly sport focused Audi will have to bring in the RS5 as a cabrio sooner or later. They say for sure in 18, I say 19..

thanks for the opinion and insights on the cab, feel like this forum is entirely about the SB..
Old 05-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am also considering the S5 SB and S5 cab. As you can see, I have a '13 S5 cab, 4.5 years old and I love it. My kids are now 11 and 8 and both involved with sports, so the SB would be more practical. If I stick with the convertible, it will be S5 or C43, leaning towards S5. If I move to a 4 door type car, either the S5 SB or the M550i.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by saw1
I am also considering the S5 SB and S5 cab. As you can see, I have a '13 S5 cab, 4.5 years old and I love it. My kids are now 11 and 8 and both involved with sports, so the SB would be more practical. If I stick with the convertible, it will be S5 or C43, leaning towards S5. If I move to a 4 door type car, either the S5 SB or the M550i.
funny a buddy had the S5 Cabrio, i checked in w him and he is now driving an MB and said the Audis never gave him the problems that the MB does.

if you can fold down half of the back seat, I'd say the cabrio still works. My older one leaves for college in September, then i have her forrestor until the other 2 start driving in Feb, then I won't need to shlep them at all, so it's just me and my bikes, but I plan on getting a hitch mounted to the car for a hitch mount bike rack.. Thinking more and more about the cabrio, but then i have to ditch the triumph, but i barely drive it, mostly becasue it's just not comfortable..

driving both tomorrow..
Old 05-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by triguy914
funny a buddy had the S5 Cabrio, i checked in w him and he is now driving an MB and said the Audis never gave him the problems that the MB does.

if you can fold down half of the back seat, I'd say the cabrio still works. My older one leaves for college in September, then i have her forrestor until the other 2 start driving in Feb, then I won't need to shlep them at all, so it's just me and my bikes, but I plan on getting a hitch mounted to the car for a hitch mount bike rack.. Thinking more and more about the cabrio, but then i have to ditch the triumph, but i barely drive it, mostly becasue it's just not comfortable..

driving both tomorrow..
My S5 has been anything but trouble free but I still love the way it looks and drives. All problems were taken care of under warranty including all new pistons for an oil burning issue(with new pistons doesn't burn a spec of oil!). I had a rattle coming from the driver side rear seat area that the dealer could never fix, my 8 year old found the rattle and with a little hockey stick tape the rattle is gone!

I had a Miata for 14 years before getting the S5. I only miss the manual tranny of the Miata. Go for the S5 cab and don't look back!!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

question for all the Cabrio guys..
any concerns with a black interior getting too hot in the sun? I think I'd prefer the gray (it's what I ordered on my SB that I'll be pulling out of)
the Cabrio that is sitting at my dealer (who has negotiated to a 3% discount and the unmarked up MF & residual) has a black interior and I'm concerned that it would be too hot..
on a seperate note, @morecowbell32 was kind enough to not only give me a viewing of his SB, but to drive it, the cars are truly awesome..
also will shorlty have a Triumph TR6 for sale..
Old 05-18-2017, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

also, per above, forgot to question, two things on deals.
have to believe I can get more than 3% off list on the cabrio since it probably isn't in as high demand as the SB?
if a dealer pulls a car from another dealers inventory, do they have less bargaining room on that car?

Quick Reply: SB or Cabrio?