Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Safety Recall 74E3 - no remedy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I received mine yesterday. The dealer said that depending on your options and the type of sensor you have, it's sometimes attached to the seat covering. You don't have much of a choice.
The sensor in my car is currently working and there is no possibility that a new seat covering will match the ones in my car that have slightly faded over the past three years. Audi can buy the car back if it wants to replace the seat coverings.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:47 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I received mine yesterday. The dealer said that depending on your options and the type of sensor you have, it's sometimes attached to the seat covering. You don't have much of a choice.
Sure you do — Don’t take it in for the recall. It’s not the safest choice but it is your choice.

— John
The following 2 users liked this post by Nikon1:
DaveSNJ (01-20-2022), NJS5 (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 04:48 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
The sensor in my car is currently working and there is no possibility that a new seat covering will match the ones in my car that have slightly faded over the past three years. Audi can buy the car back if it wants to replace the seat coverings.
And if you’re selling or trading, just let the next dealer / buyer take it in for the recall.

— John
DaveSNJ (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 595 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
Sure you do — Don’t take it in for the recall. It’s not the safest choice but it is your choice.

— John
OK, yes, you can always opt to not do the recall. Although you'd probably need to stop taking the car to the dealer as the ones I've gone to have always performed safety recalls like this one if you bring the car in for service and you can't decline them. I understand why as it's a liability issue.
IMYM (02-15-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Got mine in the mail the other day as well. This is optional depending how much you like your wife, I'm gonna do it but don't worry won't tell if you don't lol.

PS:
Don't let her see this thread!
Old 01-24-2022, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RECALL 74E3

I was able to make an appointment this afternoon to have this issue fixed. The following is from the NHTSA (https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls);
Nov 10,2021
Manufacturer Recall Number74E3
NHTSA Recall Number21V874
Recall StatusRecall IncompleteSummaryThe affected vehicles are equipped with a passenger occupant detection system (also known as Body Sense) in the front passenger seat. On these vehicles, the system is integrated in the seat heating and controls the activation of the front passenger airbag. The seat heating is connected to the Body Sense control unit under the front passenger seat via a wire. If the wire has a contact fault, it may cause the passenger occupant detection system (PODS) to detect a malfunction and switch off the passenger airbag even though the seat may be occupied. As designed, a warning light in the instrument panel comes on together with an acoustic warning sound and an error message is displayed in the instrument cluster. The airbag indicator light shows "passenger airbag off". In the event of a crash, there would be an increased risk of injury to the occupant seated in the front passenger seat if the passenger airbag is switched off/not working.

Safety RiskIn the event of a crash, there would be an increased risk of injury to the occupant seated in the front passenger seat if the passenger airbag is switched off/not working.

RemedyDepending on the seat type, the seat heating mats including the connecting cable or the entire seat cover including the connecting cable will be replaced.

Manufacturer's NotesIf you should have any questions, please contact Audi Customer Experience at 1-800-253-2834 or via Contact Us page at www.audiusa.com.
Old 01-24-2022, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my letter a couple days ago- have never gotten any kind of warning so assume it is working as designed. Have the alcantara seats so really don't want them replacing them but I did make an appointment and earliest was Feb 10 at Audi North Scottsdale. Actually would rather they aren't screwing around with the car, but I do want the passenger airbag to work! Hopefully mine isn't the first one they do...
Old 01-25-2022, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default NOTICE 74E3 my experience

I’ve been reading this thread for the past month since the recall has been listed.

i have gotten my RECALL COMPLETED today (1/25/2022)

For anyone reading this BEWARE. I called the dealership I bought my audi from, and asked them to do the recall, the agreed, but said I would need to wait till February 15 to do it since that’s when the part “arrives”. I immediately called another audi dealer in the area. They told me to come the next day at 11AM. I showed up at 11AM, left my car with them, and took a shuttle home. 6PM comes (1 hour before close for audi service) still no word or updates. I call my dealer and they say they will need the car overnight instead and will have it ready in the AM. Fine. I show up the next day and ask to pick up my vehicle. Service advisor brings it. Nightmare from here. They completed BUTCHERED my leather seat in the 2018 A4. Instead of assembling it after replacing the heating pad they just left it as is. There was literally a gap in my seat with wiring exposed from preforming this recall. The advisor tells me to just “pop” the bracket in the seat back in, and nope. Still doesn’t budge. Then I notice on the floor door trim there are HUGE scratches on it. The advisor tells me “replacing the seats are not easy and scratches will occur on the trim from when we remove it for this recall.” I immediately started getting heated and arguing with the service advisor. He tells me he needs the car again to fix the seat and will replace the floor door trim for me at no cost 6 days from now when the part arrives. I picked up the Audi after work today and the seat is now put back together put the floor electric plug cover is ruined, and the seat has scratches all around it, and the heating seat doesn’t seem as powerful as it was. I now have to visit them again for when the floor trim part comes to repair.

TLDR: DO NOT DO THIS RECALL. THEY WILL BUTCHER YOUR SEAT AND WONT GIVE YOU A STRAIGHT ANSWER IF THEY HAVE THE PARTS OR NOT TO PREFORM THE RECALL. YOU WILL SHOW UP TO THE APPOINTMENT TO BE TOLD TO GO HOME. YOU EITHER NEED A NEW HEATING MATT (ME) OR A NEW SEAT COVER, NOT ALL DEALERS HAVE BOTH PARTS. BEST TO SKIP.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alexinthecut1233:
garberfc (01-26-2022), ZF8 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,247 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexinthecut1233
I’ve been reading this thread for the past month since the recall has been listed.

i have gotten my RECALL COMPLETED today (1/25/2022)

For anyone reading this BEWARE. I called the dealership I bought my audi from, and asked them to do the recall, the agreed, but said I would need to wait till February 15 to do it since that’s when the part “arrives”. I immediately called another audi dealer in the area. They told me to come the next day at 11AM. I showed up at 11AM, left my car with them, and took a shuttle home. 6PM comes (1 hour before close for audi service) still no word or updates. I call my dealer and they say they will need the car overnight instead and will have it ready in the AM. Fine. I show up the next day and ask to pick up my vehicle. Service advisor brings it. Nightmare from here. They completed BUTCHERED my leather seat in the 2018 A4. Instead of assembling it after replacing the heating pad they just left it as is. There was literally a gap in my seat with wiring exposed from preforming this recall. The advisor tells me to just “pop” the bracket in the seat back in, and nope. Still doesn’t budge. Then I notice on the floor door trim there are HUGE scratches on it. The advisor tells me “replacing the seats are not easy and scratches will occur on the trim from when we remove it for this recall.” I immediately started getting heated and arguing with the service advisor. He tells me he needs the car again to fix the seat and will replace the floor door trim for me at no cost 6 days from now when the part arrives. I picked up the Audi after work today and the seat is now put back together put the floor electric plug cover is ruined, and the seat has scratches all around it, and the heating seat doesn’t seem as powerful as it was. I now have to visit them again for when the floor trim part comes to repair.

TLDR: DO NOT DO THIS RECALL. THEY WILL BUTCHER YOUR SEAT AND WONT GIVE YOU A STRAIGHT ANSWER IF THEY HAVE THE PARTS OR NOT TO PREFORM THE RECALL. YOU WILL SHOW UP TO THE APPOINTMENT TO BE TOLD TO GO HOME. YOU EITHER NEED A NEW HEATING MATT (ME) OR A NEW SEAT COVER, NOT ALL DEALERS HAVE BOTH PARTS. BEST TO SKIP.

Thanks for posting this, nice writeup by-the-way, I was afraid of this after posting this: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...l-yet-3033000/
see post #10. It is: "exactly what others from another forum (AudiZine) posted concerning this recall on the S3, what a disaster." I truly hope you seek remedy and can get this repaired to your satisfaction without making the situation worse. Can you post a few pics of this debacle, thanks!

Last edited by synergize; 01-25-2022 at 04:56 PM.
Nikon1 (01-26-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexinthecut1233
This is exactly the type of Mickey Mouse repair that I was concerned about. I am bringing my car in for service next month and will omit the recall repair for now. I wonder how long it will take Audi to learn how to design a passenger detection system that does not fail after a few years. Other manufacturers are capable of doing so.
Nikon1 (01-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Safety Recall 74E3 - no remedy?