Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 Cab Luxury Pkg Headrest Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default S5 Cab Luxury Pkg Headrest Issue

I have been trying with no success to adjust the front headrests up/down. The dealer looked at it quickly and the tech said that's how it's supposed to work, but then the manager called AOA who said they are not sure as they should be adjustable.

They've asked me to bring the car in again as the manual shows moving the seat switch circled in yellow up/down should move the headrest, but it doesn't on either side. Anyone with a b9 cab with luxury package here that can confirm?
Old 07-25-2020, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Does the switch actually move up and down and click? On my previous A5's it did and moved the headrests but on my S5 with Super Sport Seats that have no separate headrest they have fitted a switch that moves only 2-ways forwards / backwards to adjust the seat back angle.

If your switch actually moves all 4 ways, that would suggest the headrest should move.
Old 07-25-2020, 09:08 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Try adjusting the headrests, via that switch, while actually sitting in the seat. Not sure if this will help, but I do remember reading that somewhere.

— John
Old 07-26-2020, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had that package in my last B8.5 Cab. Never again ... regardless of missing the Cooled Seat option. The Diamond Stitched seats are a million times better looking and supportive.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

You have a 10-way power adjustable seat, plus the 4-way power adjustable lumbar. In order to raise or lower the headrest, you need to sit in the seat with the car on and push up (towards the convertible top) on the backrest adjustment switch, and it will raise the headrest. With the neck level heating however, you do not have fore/aft adjustment of the headrest, only up/down.

Let me know if this works for you...
Old 07-27-2020, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Get a New Service Facility

On my 2018 S5 Cab with the ventilated seats and neck warmer the seat back tilt switch also raises and lowers the head rest. I don't even need to have the key with me or sit in the seat to do it, much less have the car turned on.

If your service facility is so clueless about how the seats work, much less unable to read "their" manuals, do you really want them attempting to change your oil, replace your spark plugs, or even worse replace/fix your brakes?
Old 07-27-2020, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the comments, just tried again in the car while it was on and sitting in the drivers seat....the headrest does not move all at either up or down. The tilt switch clicks when i push up/down and the tilt works fine, but no luck with the headrest.

AUDIQSS - can you send me a quick video of your seats working or just a pict of how high/low the headrest can go please for context? Appreciate the point on the competence of this dealer as well!
Old 07-27-2020, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DJ 2.7T
Thanks for all the comments, just tried again in the car while it was on and sitting in the drivers seat....the headrest does not move all at either up or down. The tilt switch clicks when i push up/down and the tilt works fine, but no luck with the headrest.

AUDIQSS - can you send me a quick video of your seats working or just a pict of how high/low the headrest can go please for context? Appreciate the point on the competence of this dealer as well!
It does this for both the driver and passenger seat?

You will need to take your vehicle in for a service visit.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, it's scheduled to go back next Monday already, but they even spoke with AOA who were not clear on how these seats should work, but said they should move while the technician who did my oil change said only the drivers sides should move as passenger is fixed...neither side moves so not clear on who knows anything there or what they plan to look at next week as the car didn't throw any codes as they scanned it.

Originally Posted by adg44
It does this for both the driver and passenger seat?

You will need to take your vehicle in for a service visit.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DJ 2.7T
Yes, it's scheduled to go back next Monday already, but they even spoke with AOA who were not clear on how these seats should work, but said they should move while the technician who did my oil change said only the drivers sides should move as passenger is fixed...neither side moves so not clear on who knows anything there or what they plan to look at next week as the car didn't throw any codes as they scanned it.
Both sides are supposed to move. What dealership are you using?

Quick Reply: S5 Cab Luxury Pkg Headrest Issue