Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 review: "...but the response was a little bit delayed..."

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44

The top speed limiter is encrypted on the ECU and cannot be changed (by anyone) once it has been programmed.
By anyone. This "area" of the ECU is something that once it is programmed cannot be changed without replacing the ECU and doing a fresh flash.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
Oh, okay. 130 kph isn't bad at all. Even 150-170 kph is pretty reasonable I'd think, conditions permitting. Well within the capabilities of a car without the dynamic plus package and the higher limit. To be honest, 280 or 300 kph is way to sphincter-clinching for me!
For the rest of the world, you can do 174mph on the steel brakes if you please. It is not a technical requirement that you have ceramics to have the 174mph limiter. It's just that someone who would want the ceramics would likely also want the higher top speed, as they would be more inclined to do track days and possibly utilize that higher speed, so that's why it's grouped together in the US. And the ceramics and steel brakes have the same stopping distance. It's just that the ceramics will keep doing it over and over again without having any fade.

And depending on your location in Germany will also vary how fast you are going on the Autobahn, as the area around Munich now is heavily trafficked and restricted. Unrestricted areas are getting more rare than 10 years ago, but often times I'm going 210km/h with no problem and often times still get passed. 130km/h is supposed to be your recommended speed in these unrestricted areas.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:14 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I did have to make room at least once to somebody who was blowing by me at over 300 kmh.
...and usually, it seemed to me, by someone in driving a VW Golf.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
If they were not on a dock hold for 9 months, that's what I would have bought (Golf R) instead of the A5 Sportback.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default definitely neurosis...

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's certainly a good point if a spare tire matters. The old RS5 didn't have a spare, either. Not sure about the C63, actually. It's not something I was ever concerned about and I do lots of road trips. In the last 20 years, I've needed a spare tire about twice.
I like having both Roadside Assist, my CAA/AAA membership paid up and a spare. The only time I've been seriously inconvenienced in 25 years of driving high performance cars I cracked a wheel that was out of stock at BMW USA and had to get one run in from Canada. (And to this day I won't abide 30 profile tires as a result.) Of course a spare wouldn't have reduced my inconvenience one whit. The real joke is run flats because it's often hard to find a matching tire in stock. Twice now I've been in a rental for two or three days waiting on a tire (luckily close to home), and I've only run on run flats for five of the past 25 years.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
I like having both Roadside Assist, my CAA/AAA membership paid up and a spare. The only time I've been seriously inconvenienced in 25 years of driving high performance cars I cracked a wheel that was out of stock at BMW USA and had to get one run in from Canada. (And to this day I won't abide 30 profile tires as a result.) Of course a spare wouldn't have reduced my inconvenience one whit. The real joke is run flats because it's often hard to find a matching tire in stock. Twice now I've been in a rental for two or three days waiting on a tire (luckily close to home), and I've only run on run flats for five of the past 25 years.
Not having a spare was initially a minor concern. I tend to have bad luck with tires and pick up nails and screws regularly. Had to use road hazard three times over the last five years to replace tires that couldn't be repaired. Yet, having a spare would have made zero difference. The chance of having a blowout so badly that even the mobility kit doesn't let you limp home or to the next tire shop is close to zero. The vast majority of tire damages were slow leaks and I eventually saw the nail/screw long before TPMS went off. For an extra piece of mind I carry a mushroom plug kit since I often hit up the canyons where there is no cell reception, so worst case I can plug the tire on the go instead of spraying that goo into the tire. I've cancelled my AAA membership a long time ago. Once Audi roadside assistance ran out, I got coverage through my insurance for a small fraction of the cost of a AAA membership for two. I've never gotten my moneys worth with AAA.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-25-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!

Originally Posted by duhg
If they were not on a dock hold for 9 months, that's what I would have bought (Golf R) instead of the A5 Sportback.
Golf R is faster and handles better than an A5 but it looks better than the R.