Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 with a hot-tub.. the story of how a non-certified tech repaired at Certified Shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

illogitech are you working with your insurance company or the other guys? No way could your car be fixed for the $42K estimate. Perhaps time to get some lawyers involved specially you are dealing with the other guy's insurance.

Just as a comparison my car was in a low speed fender bender. The car was eminently drive-able so much so that I even completed the 2500 trip with the bent fender. The initial estimate was about $2500 but the body shop found other hidden damage and parts to replace when they opened it up. By the time it was all done the insurance paid about $8000 of that $2200 was just for the headlight that was broken from the back . I did not take the car to a insurance or Audi authorized body shop, but the adjuster was very familiar with the shop and spoke very well of them.

Last edited by 18A5SB; 09-27-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my S5 fixed at a Caliber shop, (Much less damage than this.) Issues were loose trim below doors (fixed), and some overspray along the sunroof edge (also fixed)
My main complaint was that the rear quarter panel should have been replaced, or a patch welded in for the damaged area between the wheel well and door. There's a detail ridge there that was crushed, and they just sculped it out of filler. I can see the difference just looking at it, but at least it's on the side I normally don't see
I'll never do business with Caliber again, and I wouldn't trust them to get the panel replacement done properly after this.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:27 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,384 Posts

@illogitech & @Waggin — While it’s a real shame that both of you have had to go through this crappy-a$$ed repair with Caliber — it’s great that you post up these threads. We’ve recently had a large Caliper Body shop open locally: I never realized they were a franchise operation but I’ll tell my friends to be very careful with their car repairs!

As my Audi dealer is one of many brands sold under the Penske Auto Mall, the Auto Mall has their own body repair shop for all the brands they sell and while I know that’s no guarantee, I know they are using genuine manufacturers parts and are certified by those brands.

It certainly is a scary place out there and it seems like everyone is out to do the least while making the mo$t.

— John
Old 09-28-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 648 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Waggin
I had my S5 fixed at a Caliber shop, (Much less damage than this.) Issues were loose trim below doors (fixed), and some overspray along the sunroof edge (also fixed)
My main complaint was that the rear quarter panel should have been replaced, or a patch welded in for the damaged area between the wheel well and door. There's a detail ridge there that was crushed, and they just sculped it out of filler. I can see the difference just looking at it, but at least it's on the side I normally don't see
I'll never do business with Caliber again, and I wouldn't trust them to get the panel replacement done properly after this.
For something that size, most shops will use filler in that kind of damage (regardless of whether there's a body crease or line that was damaged). If it's a good shop they can recreate a very sharp body line out of filler.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I know they are using genuine manufacturers parts and are certified by those brands.
Be careful about ensuring they are using OEM parts. My wife was rear ended in the Q5 and the Audi Dealer’s body shop was directed by insurance to use non OEM parts. Long story, but we had to use our insurance. After 2 bumpers arrived damaged, they insisted upon using an OEM bumper. I didn’t realize insurance was trying to use non-OEM parts and about came unglued when I found out. My wife didn’t know any better. After 1.25 months of it being in the shop, she just got it back on Wednesday. Before the car rental, damage was $7k!
Old 09-28-2019, 12:44 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Be careful about ensuring they are using OEM parts. My wife was rear ended in the Q5 and the Audi Dealer’s body shop was directed by insurance to use non OEM parts. Long story, but we had to use our insurance. After 2 bumpers arrived damaged, they insisted upon using an OEM bumper. I didn’t realize insurance was trying to use non-OEM parts and about came unglued when I found out. My wife didn’t know any better. After 1.25 months of it being in the shop, she just got it back on Wednesday. Before the car rental, damage was $7k!
Way back when I reported that my previous car was hit in the rear (minor damage to both the bumper skin and rear ground effects) and the service manager for the dealer body shop showed me the parts that had to come in from an Acura warehouse on the West Coast. It slowed down the repair — but I didn’t particularly care as I was then driving my brand new S5 and I no longer had to move the Acura off the driveway to pull the Audi out of the garage.

He told me that the insurance company of the person who hit me tried to spec cheaper 3rd party replacement parts but the Penske body shop refuses to use parts from 3rd party suppliers. I am trusting that they want to keep as much of the cost of both parts & repairs within their own organization.

As always — YMMV!

— John
Old 09-28-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by illogitech
HURRICANE DORIAN - the smallest of headaches

loose part rattling around
Awful story! I look forward to the post where they declare it totaled and monetarily compensate you for the months of not having the vehicle to drive.

----------------------------------

Hey I found one of those when vacuuming:

Anybody know what the hell these parts are or where they should be?
Thanks.

Last edited by uberwgn; 09-28-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:57 PM
Club AutoUnion

I could be wrong but I believe that part is what holds the tyvek shipping cover on the car as it’s delivered to the final dealer. The bottom part is pulled under the pinch weld and the cover is looped around the top piece. I’m guessing your dealer’s prep guy somehow popped it into your interior.

Not positive but relatively sure.

— John
Old 09-28-2019, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks like the cover for the ends of the seat tracks.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (09-28-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 05:47 PM
Club AutoUnion

Good call!

— John
The following users liked this post:
fwd55 (09-28-2019)

Quick Reply: RS5 with a hot-tub.. the story of how a non-certified tech repaired at Certified Shop