Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS5 APR Stage 1 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RS5 APR Stage 1 Tune

Did anybody here go with the APR Stage 1 tune for their RS5? I'm thinking about doing it but would like to hear of people's experiences with it and if there are any draw backs. I believe my dealer once told me that APR doesn't void the warranty on the vehicle which is why I would wanna go with them.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2020, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ramothepharaoh
Did anybody here go with the APR Stage 1 tune for their RS5? I'm thinking about doing it but would like to hear of people's experiences with it and if there are any draw backs. I believe my dealer once told me that APR doesn't void the warranty on the vehicle which is why I would wanna go with them.

Thanks
The APR Stage 1 tune can void the Audi powertrain warranty, but you can buy APR plus stage 1 ECU tune to get the APR powertrain warranty.

https://www.goaprplus.com/

APR Plus Limited Powertrain Warranty
Old 06-09-2020, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ramothepharaoh

Thanks
I'd get that in writing, if you really do plan to keep your powertrain warranty in tact with an APR tune. My guess is your dealer won't actually be willing do that for you, though.

Regardless, like m444 said, you can get the APR powertrain warranty to cover you with an APR tune. I'm at the verge of pulling the trigger on APR Stage 1 and the APR warranty. The extra money spent up front will be well worth the peace of mind, for me.

With that said, I had a superb experience using EPL to tune my old B8.5 S4. They have great customer service and fair pricing. However, this time around I'm going with APR. Not that I wouldn't trust EPL, when they do release an RS5 tune. But B9 RS5 ECU tuning is very recently available and I'm sticking with the company that's clearly done extensive research and testing, prior to pushing their tune to market. It speaks volumes that they are willing to provide a warranty to cover you. And with APR certified shops nearby, they are the no brainer for me.

Last edited by Dads_RS; 06-09-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Also, APR has deep pockets to cover the third party powertrain warranty: https://www.holley.com/brands/

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300738801.html

Old 06-09-2020, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dads_RS
I'd get that in writing, if you really do plan to keep your powertrain warranty in tact with an APR tune. My guess is your dealer won't actually be willing do that for you, though.
Yeah, the dealer's word is not going to be worth much when Audi's system flags the car as TD1 and Audi tells the dealer it isn't paying out for repairs.

The APR Plus program gives me some peace of mind but I'm hoping that I never have to use it.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
Also, APR has deep pockets to cover the third party powertrain warranty: https://www.holley.com/brands/

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300738801.html
They can have US Treasury pockets, that doesn't mean they'll cover anything willingly. APR will look for every reason to wiggle out of warranty work. That's why APR Plus isn't compatible with almost anything aftermarket but APR parts, but those restrictions aren't placed in regular APR tunes.

APR tends to have blind following amongst Audi and VW owners. They swear by them but if you do your research, you'll see that APR isn't what it once was.

ABT, now that's a different story. They are like what Brabus is to Mercedes.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picking my B9 RS5 up tomorrow from my local APR dealer.
I went with APR Plus - it was $2499 versus $1499 - but the powertrain warranty for the duration of the manufacturers warranty was well worth the $1000 difference.
Excited to get back in it tomorrow and see how it feels.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:19 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Good luck and keep us posted!

—John
Old 06-10-2020, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
They can have US Treasury pockets, that doesn't mean they'll cover anything willingly. APR will look for every reason to wiggle out of warranty work. That's why APR Plus isn't compatible with almost anything aftermarket but APR parts, but those restrictions aren't placed in regular APR tunes.

APR tends to have blind following amongst Audi and VW owners. They swear by them but if you do your research, you'll see that APR isn't what it once was.

ABT, now that's a different story. They are like what Brabus is to Mercedes.
There are many options and opinions for engine tunes. People have choices, you are free to pick your poison.

All companies try to wiggle out of covering a warranty, which is the reason for the fine print and limitation disclaimers.

The fine print on the APR powertrain warranty does not mention dollar amounts covered (but has many other disclaimers).

ABT approaches the powertrain piggyback engine tune warranty differently, it mentions Euro & USD maximum coverage as noted here: ABT Power Upgrades – Optional Warranty

Found here: https://abt-america.com/prices-and-info/

Last edited by m444; 06-10-2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is the flyer of the company, NSA, supplying the powertrain warranty for ABT tuning: Overview in PDF

ABT Power Upgrades – Optional Warranty

Quick Reply: RS5 APR Stage 1 Tune