Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS 5 is Here

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Probably a contrarian perspective, but, for that much money, an S6 seems to have more presence. I'm assuming (could be wrong) that the new S6 will be able to be had once one goes north of $80K. My problem (or issue) is that the RS5's front end doesn't seem (to me) to justify some $17K over what would be an undoubtedly similarly equipped (albeit lower performing) S5. I love the look of the RS5, see very little difference inside and, well, I can't see most of us tracking one of these, so -- Meh. And, I so wanted to be compelled to go for one -- now I'm back thinking an S6 may be just right. But, this opinion might be different if I really thought that I would ever drive one of these anywhere but on the public potholes, er, Interstates.
As a current S6 owner who is looking to move to an RS5 Sportback, I can tell you that the S6 is a true executive class luxury rocket. Yes, it will have more of an "executive presence", but it is a big car and it drives big. If that is what you want, then great. You can definitely feel the whole car chassis flex a bit. I think the new C8 is a drop dead gorgeous design and we have only yet seen the A6 variant. But the RS5 will definitely have a more dynamic feel while still being quite practical. So for me, I love the S6, but want something a bit smaller and tighter feeling. My wife has an S3, so I know what it feels like also to go that small. The RS5 will hit the sweet spot for me.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I sometimes drive down to the Los Padres National Forest/CA-33. There's practically nobody on those roads until you get to Ojai. Endless oil fields and orchards leading up to the forest with barely anybody around on the weekends or holidays.I usually leave the Bay Area at around 4am and get there by 9am.
Right, but I'm not motivated-enough to do something like that... I like driving, but not nearly enough to get up at 4am and drive for 5 hours each way to enjoy some fun empty roads.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
You are driving the wrong roads. I seek out remote roads with little to no traffic and law enforcement or go during times/days when not much is going on. For blind corners just slow down until you can see, but there are plenty of corners where you can see the other side. Never have an issue and the RS5 essentially stops on a dime. Lots of virtually abandoned roads in SoCal and in between as well. I sometimes drive down to the Los Padres National Forest/CA-33. There's practically nobody on those roads until you get to Ojai. Endless oil fields and orchards leading up to the forest with barely anybody around on the weekends or holidays.I usually leave the Bay Area at around 4am and get there by 9am.

Even if I find myself stuck behind one or more slow pokes, there's eventually an opportunity to pass them. The RS5 has enough power to overtake a few cars at once. Back when I had my S4 it was more frustrating. 300 something HP is just not enough.

there is is a difference between driving and celebrating your passion. You sir understand the passion, a gift. It’s far more then just the love of an automobile
Old 03-26-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stopped by my local Audi dealership to check out the RS5 they had in the showroom.......20k markup! That put it at $111,000.00. What a huge disappointment. Guess I'll be looking elsewhere. I have no problem waiting it out with no ridiculous markup. Good luck with that.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

It might be due to the fact that you are in the Bay Area and they are hoping for a dot comer to come in and write a check. But I have a feeling that car will sell for MSRP either this month or several months from now if it sits on the showroom.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanB8.5
Stopped by my local Audi dealership to check out the RS5 they had in the showroom.......20k markup! That put it at $111,000.00. What a huge disappointment. Guess I'll be looking elsewhere. I have no problem waiting it out with no ridiculous markup. Good luck with that.

LOL...! What dealer was this?
Old 03-26-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
LOL...! What dealer was this?
Audi Concord. I'm surprised, as I've had fairly good dealings with them in the past. Oh, their RS3 has a 10k markup too.

Last edited by BryanB8.5; 03-26-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

That is insane...
Old 03-26-2018, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

That's disappointing from Audi Concord. I bought my current RS5 from them. It was an excellent experience back then and they are the only Audi Magna Elite dealer in California. Hope their success hasn't gone to their head. These are the launch cars and I'm guessing the initial allocations are tight. All the more reasons to give this one some time to settle. I'm happy Audi on Demand got theirs for the fleet already. Taking it out this Saturday to see how it holds up in the canyons etc.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanB8.5

That's craziness! There's a lot of tech around my dealer (Seattle), and mine is on order for MSRP. Maybe that dealer is thinking of trying to milk a bit more out of someone who's got really deep pockets and is also impatient.

Quick Reply: RS 5 is Here