Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

RS 5 is Here

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

So an 11% discount to reach MSRP? what a deal.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 595 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
So an 11% discount to reach MSRP? what a deal.
I'm just waiting for the inevitable "I got an 11% discount" post.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody interest in an RS5 in the DC area? I know a dealer that has two going for sticker.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 595 Likes on 427 Posts

All the dealers I’ve spoken to are selling them at sticker. This isn’t some hyped up limited edition Porsche.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
All the dealers I’ve spoken to are selling them at sticker. This isn’t some hyped up limited edition Porsche.
Pretty standard though, for first MY and launch vehicles. While not a limited edition Porsche, the allocations are limited for RS models. At the moment my understand was that dealers got between 0-2 launch models. That's it for now.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Here in the USA I have no German Autobahn and no commute in the first place, but I have mountain and canyon roads to get my thrill from a car like this, but if all one does is commute to work and battle traffic, the RS5 is a complete overkill and makes no sense compared to the S5. The S5 is frankly already overkill for this kind of driving.
There's a lot of traffic on the mountain roads in the Bay Area. Don't you just get stuck going slow behind the car in front of you? It's just an exercise in frustration. Even on the rare occasions when you aren't stuck behind another car, it doesn't feel safe to go fast because you don't know what's lurking beyond the next curve - a car or truck going slowly, a cyclist, a motorcycle, a pedestrian crossing the road, etc.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by visualguy
There's a lot of traffic on the mountain roads in the Bay Area. Don't you just get stuck going slow behind the car in front of you? It's just an exercise in frustration. Even on the rare occasions when you aren't stuck behind another car, it doesn't feel safe to go fast because you don't know what's lurking beyond the next curve - a car or truck going slowly, a cyclist, a motorcycle, a pedestrian crossing the road, etc.
You are driving the wrong roads. I seek out remote roads with little to no traffic and law enforcement or go during times/days when not much is going on. For blind corners just slow down until you can see, but there are plenty of corners where you can see the other side. Never have an issue and the RS5 essentially stops on a dime. Lots of virtually abandoned roads in SoCal and in between as well. I sometimes drive down to the Los Padres National Forest/CA-33. There's practically nobody on those roads until you get to Ojai. Endless oil fields and orchards leading up to the forest with barely anybody around on the weekends or holidays.I usually leave the Bay Area at around 4am and get there by 9am.

Even if I find myself stuck behind one or more slow pokes, there's eventually an opportunity to pass them. The RS5 has enough power to overtake a few cars at once. Back when I had my S4 it was more frustrating. 300 something HP is just not enough.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-23-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

You are driving the wrong roads. I seek out remote roads with little to no traffic and law enforcement or go during times/days when not much is going on. For blind corners just slow down until you can see, but there are plenty of corners where you can see the other side. Never have an issue and the RS5 essentially stops on a dime. Lots of virtually abandoned roads in SoCal and in between as well. I sometimes drive down to the Los Padres National Forest/CA-33. There's practically nobody on those roads until you get to Ojai. Endless oil fields and orchards leading up to the forest with barely anybody around on the weekends or holidays.I usually leave the Bay Area at around 4am and get there by 9am.

Even if I find myself stuck behind one or more slow pokes, there's eventually an opportunity to pass them. The RS5 has enough power to overtake a few cars at once. Back when I had my S4 it was more frustrating. 300 something HP is just not enough.
I will add that not only does the car stop fast, you also have Audi Pre-Sense watching as well. I had a time on a back country road where coming around a tight turn around 50 mph there was someone with their dog who thought it would be a great idea to cross the road at the end of a blind turn. Audi Pre-Sense caught it just before I did and started stopping the car and even though the guy scooted back to the side of the road with his dog I decided to come to a complete stop anyway and stopped in plenty of time before a collision would have occurred. I think the guy was a little surprised because I was so impressed on how well the car handled the situation that I was sitting there with a huge smile waving him on to cross the road ( I already knew there was nobody behind me for quite a distance).

Last edited by heisnuts; 03-24-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I will add that not only does the car stop fast, you also have Audi Pre-Sense watching as well. I had a time on a back country road where coming around a tight turn around 50 mph there was someone with their dog who thought it would be a great idea to cross the road at the end of a blind turn. Audi Pre-Sense caught it just before I did and started stopping the car and even though the guy scooted back to the side of the road with his dog I decided to come to a complete stop anyway and stopped in plenty of time before a collision would have occurred. I think the guy was a little surprised because I was so impressed on how well the car handled the situation that I was sitting there with a huge smile waving him on to cross the road ( I already knew there was nobody behind me for quite a distance).
While true, I do turn off Pre-Sense in the canyons due to false positives. I usually put the ESC in sport mode, which turns off Pre-Sense. The key is to have fun with the car away from civilization. I simply avoid roads that are popular bike and hike trails or are close to civilization in general.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

While true, I do turn off Pre-Sense in the canyons due to false positives. I usually put the ESC in sport mode, which turns off Pre-Sense. The key is to have fun with the car away from civilization. I simply avoid roads that are popular bike and hike trails or are close to civilization in general.
I am the same way. In all of my years out in the country this is the first time I have ever had it happen (I used to have a C6 Corvette for 12 years). I am really impressed with the system's ability to weed out false alerts, and of the 2 or 3 I have seen I could see why the system was coming up with the alert.

Quick Reply: RS 5 is Here