Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

? Replace one tire only

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default ? Replace one tire only

Seeking the collective wisdom on the forums.
I have a 23 S5 with summer 20 inch tire with a gash in the sidewall. It's holding pressure but fairly deep which makes me worried about driving on it especially a highway+ speeds. Currently I'm on winter tires/wheels anyway so have time to think about this.

I know that typically for AWD you replace all or at least two tires to match the wear. I have however 7400 miles on the tires with 7/32 left on all four wheels.
Does anyone know whether this is still in the range for being able to just replacing one tire or do I have to replace 2 or all?

Local tire place said they would recommend replacing only one but not sure how much they know about tolerance on specific car brands.
I don't want to cause more problems with the car in the future.
I called the audi dealer but they wouldn't give me a straight answer and that they would have to look at the other tires.
I do have tire warranty when I bought the car but not sure whether they will cover or try to deny coverage. If I have to pay for it the local tire place would be probably about 20 percent cheaper plus they change the winter to summer wheels for free which I'm sure Audi dealer will charge for.
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2024, 11:41 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Those tires come new with 9/32" tread depth, so there would be a 2/32" difference between that tire and the other three, assuming all three are at the same tread depth. I'm surprised that the tire shop said you can change just one tire. Knowing how they are in my area they try to use any excuse to sell a full set in a situation like this. I'd probably see about getting a second opinion, and if they concur with the first shop just replace the one tire. I have no information about Audi's tire warranty as I've never opted for it.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

When i first got my A5, i took it to the dealer a week later and they wouldn't let me leave until I replaced the tires. One tire had a bulge on the side. These were 19" summer tires. They agreed to replace the one tire under warranty. All I had to pay was the $50 deductible. I didn't notice anything for the 4 months i had 3 old and new tire. Before the weather changed to cold, I replaced all four tires.
Old 02-06-2024, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

If ur really **** just have tire rack skim 2/32” off a new tire and have them heatcycle the new tire.
However, I’d just put on a new tire. The new rubber will quickly wear to same as the others, the new tire is softer and not heat cycled either.
The following 4 users liked this post by SloopJohnB@mac.com:
A8bil (02-09-2024), Aviator6 (02-07-2024), BMWdud-e (02-06-2024), garberfc (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My internet opinion: What you've ripped is the "rim protector" portion of the tire.
If you peel it back and just see black rubber and no internal belt structure or bubble forming and it's holding air, the tire is likely fine to continue using.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

OUCH!!

Some tire shops are able to shave the tread on the new tire down to match the other 3 tires, but there is a limit. You might ask that question. If they can't, and
If you drive the car aggressively, you'd be better off in the long run replacing all 4. I had this same thing happen to me on my last car. They couldn't shave
mine down because the difference was too great, so I purchased 4 new tires. Mine only had about 12K miles on the tires, as I recall. (Also, as I recall, I think
they told me they couldn't shave off more than 2/32nd. (not sure)

Old 02-06-2024, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,628 Posts

7/32" = ~5.5mm
10/32" = ~8mm

So on the front you'd have an average of 6.75mm and on the rear you'd have an average of 5.5mm. Which is less than the 2mm limit Audi dictates. Rotating that newer tire to the rear would be undesired if you have the sport diff, and would be no big deal if you do not have the sport diff.

So Audi says replace the one tire (as long as it's not on the rear if you have the sport diff). Most would say try and get it shaved to match if you can.
The following 2 users liked this post by SMac770:
Rcsac (02-11-2024), SloopJohnB@mac.com (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default The tire shop talked u into 4 new ones.

Originally Posted by DopeyD
OUCH!!

Some tire shops are able to shave the tread on the new tire down to match the other 3 tires, but there is a limit. You might ask that question. If they can't, and
If you drive the car aggressively, you'd be better off in the long run replacing all 4. I had this same thing happen to me on my last car. They couldn't shave
mine down because the difference was too great, so I purchased 4 new tires. Mine only had about 12K miles on the tires, as I recall. (Also, as I recall, I think
they told me they couldn't shave off more than 2/32nd. (not sure)
TireRack can shave a new tire to whatever you want. If I shave a tire to match I’d go to +1/32 relative to older tire to allow for softer new tire. If I went exact match I’d have the tire heat cycled.
Old 02-08-2024, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Miss my R8
My internet opinion: What you've ripped is the "rim protector" portion of the tire.
If you peel it back and just see black rubber and no internal belt structure or bubble forming and it's holding air, the tire is likely fine to continue using.
I didn't even think that might be the rim protector. Here is a close up underneath the gash.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:57 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I was going by the assumption that the tire store recommended replacing that tire for safety concerns. Judging by your pic it looks more like a cosmetic issue. Doesn't look like it got down to the belts.

Quick Reply: ? Replace one tire only