Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Refreshed A5/S5 revealed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
After experiencing the system in the new A6 for a day, I would specifically avoid buying an otherwise very good car because of its dual-touchscreen/piano black/reflective metallic surface MMI interface. I have also had a new BMW 5-series as a rental, and while the A6 is the better car, I would potentially lean towards the 5-series because its interface is far less distracting.
Though like any other in the class, not without its own shortcomings and reliability issues...which may be bigger concerns depending on the buyer

If you were going to get any of them, spend more than a day with it and have someone who knows the car to show you both, in depth
Old 09-09-2019, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Though like any other in the class, not without its own shortcomings and reliability issues...which may be bigger concerns depending on the buyer

If you were going to get any of them, spend more than a day with it and have someone who knows the car to show you both, in depth
The Audi system was fairly intuitive and I did not have a problem performing any desired tasks. However, it is ergonomically poor (the screens are located far too low for anyone of above average height) and no amount of familiarity will change that. In that respect, it is like the poorly placed cupholders in the B9, but I don't use them while driving, so they are less of a distraction.

Last edited by JD15; 09-09-2019 at 07:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
It's okay, you're in the vast minority of people who think this.
Disagree .. I'm in the Vast Majority. Only 2018-2019 A5/S5 owners would try to defend their purchase. Everyone including all the Audi designers agree with me .. This design is better.
But that being said, I still think new S7 is better looking than the A5/S5. The new A6 is ugly as well. I like the last A6 cycle better.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I wonder what the “ additional features” you can buy are...

“Should you want additional features, Audi will let you buy upgrades on the fly for an additional cost through its phone app.”

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...rmance-reveal/
Old 09-09-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 648 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
Disagree .. I'm in the Vast Majority. Only 2018-2019 A5/S5 owners would try to defend their purchase. Everyone including all the Audi designers agree with me .. This design is better.
But that being said, I still think new S7 is better looking than the A5/S5. The new A6 is ugly as well. I like the last A6 cycle better.
Okay....
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 09:46 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Okay....

“It’s like a farmer trying to teach a pig to sing: It just angers the pig and frustrates the farmer.”

— John
Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Seems odd there is any surprise this is how the MMI system evolved in this refresh. The dash design isn't conducive to implementing the new touchscreens like in the A6/6/8 (and now Q7), so this was the easy way out. No way were they going to do a major overhaul inside on a refresh to accommodate. They are going for continuity of design access the range, so this is how it's done...like it or not. I agree, it's not the most attractive way or the ideal way, but what else did you expect?

As far as the MMI **** gone, I don't get the outrage. Everything is controllable from the steering wheel buttons, no hands off the wheels or eyes off the road. Even if you have pre-judged the all-new voice commands as poor (which is wrong), why in the world are you fiddling around with the center **** when you have controls under your fingertips? The MMI **** was functional and nice for passengers maybe but....the touchscreen is far from horrible. It seems like there is a lot of manufactured outrage over it from people that haven't spent more than a few minutes on the show floor stabbing at the screen and declaring it bad. It's not really better or worse, it's just different. I guess you can feel free to hate on it, but really...I can't imagine using the touchscreen except on occasion and just use the steering wheel controls...which means 99% of the time your ownership experience is identical if it had the old ****. Seems like people are complaining a lot about nothing....Just my perspective.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Seems odd there is any surprise this is how the MMI system evolved in this refresh. The dash design isn't conducive to implementing the new touchscreens like in the A6/6/8 (and now Q7), so this was the easy way out. No way were they going to do a major overhaul inside on a refresh to accommodate. They are going for continuity of design access the range, so this is how it's done...like it or not. I agree, it's not the most attractive way or the ideal way, but what else did you expect?

As far as the MMI **** gone, I don't get the outrage. Everything is controllable from the steering wheel buttons, no hands off the wheels or eyes off the road. Even if you have pre-judged the all-new voice commands as poor (which is wrong), why in the world are you fiddling around with the center **** when you have controls under your fingertips? The MMI **** was functional and nice for passengers maybe but....the touchscreen is far from horrible. It seems like there is a lot of manufactured outrage over it from people that haven't spent more than a few minutes on the show floor stabbing at the screen and declaring it bad. It's not really better or worse, it's just different. I guess you can feel free to hate on it, but really...I can't imagine using the touchscreen except on occasion and just use the steering wheel controls...which means 99% of the time your ownership experience is identical if it had the old ****. Seems like people are complaining a lot about nothing....Just my perspective.
I don't mind the UI changes as much as the physical changes, such as the piano black surround, an empty slot where the old MMI was which makes it look like an afterthought, and the fact that the new larger screen is now way too big to be stuck on tablet-style, as if the old one wasn't already dated looking enough from a MY2020 luxury car perspective.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ayap
I don't know how we can say whether you're in the majority or the minority, it's not like we have a scientific survey to go by. Audi designers did something to come up with a new design, then had to do some work to keep it fresh. Sometimes they just end up doing something different, not better. You're certainly not the only person I know who likes the new design. I personally don't think it's an improvement, but it would be odd if most people actually thought it was a change for the worse, it would mean Audi screwed up. There are very specific objective reasons why some of us bought the car in the first place: the lack of piano black and fingerprint surfaces was a big plus for me. I really, really don't like this in the redesign, because I'm one of those people who keeps their car in showroom condition at all times. Some people buy the car based on what they see in the showroom, but then let it go afterwards. Some people don't notice scratches, finger prints and dust. Some people just don't realize what a pain in the *** piano black is. Let all those people buy the new one, the old one is more suitable for me.

I wouldn't mind getting updated MMI graphics but hey, I needed a car when I needed it and that was the MMI available at the time. Since I use Car Play 90% of the time I'm not missing out much on the new interface.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones

I personally haven't driven / played in a new Audi with the new dual touchscreen setup all that much but are you saying the controls on the steering wheel can navigate the menus or what not on the main MMI screen (the function of the ****)? This is news to me but if true might not make things as bad as being touchscreen only then. In the current gen models the steering wheel controls mainly lets you change things in the Virtual Cockpit screen and not the main MMI screen. Such as I can't navigate the Android Auto menus from the steering wheel.

As for touchscreens in general. I used to think having a touchscreen remote for my home theater was going to be the end all be all way of controlling all my gear just to realize that no, it sucks. The touchscreen looks cool and you can customize the locations of buttons and all of that but when it came to actually using it while watching a movie in the dark, you'd have to light up the screen and visually look at it to figure out where that volume button was to press. I've since gone back to a remote with real buttons that I can feel and layout with my fingers / thumb and hit the buttons I need without having to take my eyes off the TV.

I pretty much feel my issues with a touchscreen remote translates to a touchscreen in the car. Plus, having been using my touchscreen phone for navigation before getting a new car with Android Auto, I've found the accuracy of pressing the button on the phone I wanted to be very low while in motion because you'd hit a bump in the road and your finger bounces and press the button above or below the button you wanted to hit (something you won't experience while playing in the showroom). All causing you to shift your focus off the road to the screen to make sure your aim is correct. With the current **** and buttons I can switch between main functions without taking my eyes off the road, with muscle memory I can rotate the **** x clicks left or right to get to the menu or icon I want to click on without taking my eyes of the road. etc.. Just like a theater remote.

One last thing which I think has already been noted. Other car manufactures who went all touchscreen have gone back to putting real buttons and ***** back in their car because they have safely concerns with a touchscreen only setup. I think Mazda was somewhat recently in the news for this change in their interior design.

Quick Reply: Refreshed A5/S5 revealed.