Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

MY S5 has been in the shop at Audi dealer for 9 weeks and counting (advice please)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm glad that you've been sorted out.

That being said, my advice would be the same as your friend.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

If it were to be sold, how much information would you be responsible to declare to potential buyers?
Old 09-13-2022, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by garberfc
If it were to be sold, how much information would you be responsible to declare to potential buyers?
none as long as you dump it before it shows up on the carfax. I do this with every car that I have gotten in an accident with that hasn't been my fault. what they cannot see they don't need to know about. nature of the game.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 884 Likes on 723 Posts

Glad to hear that Audi stepped up.
The following users liked this post:
BostonS5sb (09-13-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 595 Likes on 427 Posts

I'd keep it. You have the one year warranty plus you still owe money on it. With the economy slowing, car prices staying high, and interest rates going up, keeping the car makes more financial sense.
The following users liked this post:
BostonS5sb (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I'd keep it. You have the one year warranty plus you still owe money on it. With the economy slowing, car prices staying high, and interest rates going up, keeping the car makes more financial sense.

I was hoping for more of these replies but an open to hearing opinions I don't love.....give it to me straight! I should add I LOVE the car and have zero desire to "trade up" to something newer. Although the repair issue notwithstanding at one point recently they were offering more than the car was worth for a trade in. So there was mild temptation to explore that option. But I don't want an A5, and I cant afford a new S5.

But personally I do NOT want to trade it in, and or take on a new higher balance. I owe like 25k+ on it right now and its got maybe close to 3 years worth of payments left. Not interested in ending up in a 45-50K A5 or a similar used (or new) S5 over again and resetting my balance to where it started. This car is fully loaded prestige. Dealer claims the VIN/Car Fax will only show "service" and not going to detail. I guess we'll see.

My main point was to ask others do you agree philosophically "the car is damaged goods" or the car is a time bomb" so to speak. To me if nothing bad occurs within 1 year extended warranty they are giving me, and with the beefier rockers now installed (they replaced all 24), what do I have to worry about really?

Last edited by BostonS5sb; 09-14-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonS5sb
I was hoping for more of these replies but an open to hearing opinions I don't love.....give it to me straight! I should add I LOVE the car and have zero desire to "trade up" to something newer. Although the repair issue notwithstanding at one point recently they were offering more than the car was worth for a trade in. So there was mild temptation to explore that option. But I don't want an A5, and I cant afford a new S5.

But personally I do NOT want to trade it in, and or take on a new higher balance. I owe like 25k+ on it right now and its got maybe close to 3 years worth of payments left. Not interested in ending up in a 45-50K A5 or a similar used (or new) S5 over again and resetting my balance to where it started. This car is fully loaded prestige. Dealer claims the VIN/Car Fax will only show "service" and not going to detail. I guess we'll see.

My main point was to ask others do you agree philosophically "the car is damaged goods" or the car is a time bomb" so to speak. To me if nothing bad occurs within 1 year extended warranty they are giving me, and with the beefier rockers now installed (they replaced all 24), what do I have to worry about really?
I agree with @JohnEnglish - Keep it and see how it goes, and reassess it's condition before the one year is up. If all is well and you plan on keeping it I would suggest getting an extended warranty to cover it at least until it's paid off and enjoy the ride!
The following 2 users liked this post by BK_AudiFan:
BostonS5sb (09-14-2022), Nikon1 (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 595 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonS5sb

The engine has been thoroughly gone over and you have the one year warranty. Personally, I'd be comfortable with keeping it for the year and taking it in for regular checks to have the oil looked at even if I had to pay for it myself. You may even want to send samples to Blackstone every couple of months. Overkill? Yeah probably but if nothing changes over the next 12 months then I'd say you're in the clear.

My dealer keeps offering me more than I paid for my car. Assuming I got the same car again (RS5 Sportback), I'd end up paying more because (1) interest rates are higher and I wouldn't get the same financing rate and (2) I'd have to pay more for the car since I wouldn't get the same deal that I did on my current one. Unless, you want to trade the car in and get something cheaper, you're almost going to certainly end up paying more if you got a new car in the same model and trim.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 09-14-2022 at 12:18 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by JohnEnglish:
BK_AudiFan (09-14-2022), BostonS5sb (09-14-2022), JD15 (09-15-2022), Nikon1 (09-15-2022), ShiftyWolf (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,177 Likes on 919 Posts

I would completely keep it. There are documented records of what was done and in writing warranty. I would put as many miles on it in 9 months as you can and then review. I would also personally get the oil analyzed by blackstone after at least 5K miles. It would also be smart to change the oil every 5K for as long as you keep the car now.
The following 3 users liked this post by mhoran89:
BK_AudiFan (09-15-2022), BostonS5sb (09-15-2022), Nikon1 (09-15-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I would keep it if in your situation. I sold my 2019 S5 recently because used prices are still inflated, but are beginning to decline rapidly. However, I already had another newer car and the S5 could have been considered a leisure vehicle. I would have kept the S5 if it were my only vehicle because it would have cost significantly more than I originally paid to replace it.

Quick Reply: MY S5 has been in the shop at Audi dealer for 9 weeks and counting (advice please)