Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Mechanic "Beating up" My Car on Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
My dealer has been great with my no-wash requests. Here's what they include on the ticket:

Not exactly true but same result.
Service Technician opted NOT to conserve paper/trees, Ink and time and put in the extra effort to write pointless (yet funny) comments
Old 01-14-2020, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

FWIW, this photo is of with my lowly base engine A5 three minutes after taking delivery of it from the dealer..

Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too would like to know what dealership this is ? if u don't want to name the dealership, can u at least share the county ?

IMO, No matter what, I don't believe the dealership should condone this type of behavior from their employees with customers vehicles
Old 01-15-2020, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a meeting with GM, head of service dept and customer service rep, which went very well.
They're professional, apologetic and made it right. They will discipline the tech who drove my car and make sure it won't happen again.
Since I already purchased the Audi care for my car, they extended the same coverage for my wife's. Overall I'm satisfied and consider the matter closed.
The following 5 users liked this post by vexige:
abiley84 (01-15-2020), bobdolex (01-15-2020), DissenTTS (01-15-2020), IamRacerX (01-17-2020), STI2Audi (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
You want to meet with the Service Manager, not the "head mechanic".

And by the way, they are not called mechanics these days, they are Service Technicians.
Or criminals if charged.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by vexige
Had a meeting with GM, head of service dept and customer service rep, which went very well.
They're professional, apologetic and made it right. They will discipline the tech who drove my car and make sure it won't happen again.
Since I already purchased the Audi care for my car, they extended the same coverage for my wife's. Overall I'm satisfied and consider the matter closed.
Sounds very reasonable. Glad to hear all ended well.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Mechanic is driving the car within the capabilities it's designed for and hasn't damaged anything.... Other than you spying with your dashcam and it offending you sensibilities, what's you're complaint?
The following users liked this post:
Slides (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Derboy
Mechanic is driving the car within the capabilities it's designed for and hasn't damaged anything.... Other than you spying with your dashcam and it offending you sensibilities, what's you're complaint?
Just going to repost what I wrote to a similar response in a different forum:

The RS might be designed for the track but a lot of people don't buy the car for the track and typically track type usage puts a lot more wear and tear on a car thus shortening the life of the car / parts that an owner that got the car for a long term daily driver would want. Also, from the description of events, it's very unlikely that the engine, oil, transmission, etc.. were up to full operating temperature for full acceleration to red line runs which also exacerbates wear and tear issues more. It's one thing for the owner to beat up their own car vs. having someone else doing it without the owner's permission. If the issue the OP took the car in for was reproducible during daily driving, there is no need to test / try and reproduce it the issue in track driving mode.

The following 3 users liked this post by heymoe:
abiley84 (01-17-2020), davjo68 (01-17-2020), garberfc (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

But the mechanic didn't drive it on a track and he didn't do anything that would stress or reduce the live of the car or it's components in any meaningful way. These are modern engines and modern peices of machinery a wee bit of rough-handling eveyr now and then isn't going to kill them.

To be honest this is where dashcams (and I have one) are at their worst but in general people are fad to precious about their cars. I see that the dealership capitulated which is understandable but I really don't see what the issue is unless the mechanics actions directly contributed to damage to the car. I get why the OP is annoyed but putting it into perspective it's really not a big deal.

Last edited by Derboy; 01-17-2020 at 12:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Slides (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Derboy
But the mechanic didn't drive it on a track and he didn't do anything that would stress or reduce the live of the car or it's components in any meaningful way. These are modern engines and modern peices of machinery a wee bit of rough-handling eveyr now and then isn't going to kill them.

To be honest this is where dashcams (and I have one) are at their worst but in general people are fad to precious about their cars. I see that the dealership capitulated which is understandable but I really don't see what the issue is unless the mechanics actions directly contributed to damage to the car. I get why the OP is annoyed but putting it into perspective it's really not a big deal.
I don't think OP thinks this is a 'big deal' in the sense that he's going to demand a new car or have them replace the engine and transmission. He's rightfully annoyed that the mechanic did this, which basically was a joyride. As I've mentioned before, how would you feel if a valet did this to your car? Or what if it was a mechanic when your car was in for an oil change? Maybe you wouldn't care, but personally I would be very annoyed by this unprofessional behavior.

I guess what I don't get from the people defending this, do you feel this is appropriate behavior? How do you know this mechanic isn't doing this to every high performance vehicle? I think OPs reaction and resolution was completely justified.
The following 2 users liked this post by bobdolex:
abiley84 (01-17-2020), davjo68 (01-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Mechanic "Beating up" My Car on Test Drive