Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Is it me or are the OEM wipers not good in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Is it me or are the OEM wipers not good in the rain?

In any decent downpour, visibility suffers even on the highest setting.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

I just drove 3 hours in the rain from NJ to the Audi Club event in DC. While not perfect, I thought the wipers were very good. Original wipers, year old.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The wipers are OK, but the windshield keeps fogging up... more so than any other car that I have owned.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NJS5
I just drove 3 hours in the rain from NJ to the Audi Club event in DC. While not perfect, I thought the wipers were very good. Original wipers, year old.
I was doing a similar rain commute in NJ. I wish the headlights were a little brighter too. I had trouble seeing the lane markings many times, but I guess that's not car specific.

The water droplets on the back window really didn't make it any easier. Wish it had a wiper in the back.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Make sure you clean your wipers every time you wash your car. I take the wipers off and glide them against the cloth I used to dry the car. I've done this with all my cars, and the wipers last for at least 3 years. You'll be surprised how dirty those suckers are. It's not the wipers that are bad, it is all that road oil / slime that your wipers clean off your windshield that reduces the effectiveness of your wipers. Those quickie oil change places make a killing of selling wiper blades by simply asking, "Are your wipers working Ok when it rains?"
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 03:07 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Two weeks after we picked up my wifes Q7 back in 2017 I replaced the OEM wipers with Trico Ultra blades because of the shudder.. The Ultra blades cleaned better than the OEM's and without the annoying shudder the OEM always seemed to have. I recently I put on a new set of the Ultras. When I had my Allroad I also had to replace the OEMs within a few weeks mostly due to the shudder the OEM's had...

However, I've had the A5 since June and so far the OEM wipers have been fine, they clear fine and with no shudder.. I hope I didn't jinx myself....
Old 10-17-2019, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 884 Likes on 723 Posts

I have tried many wipers, but have always returned to the OEM because I found them to be the best. They last 18-24 months.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I've had good luck with Bosch and Valeo on these cars. A general problem with the windshield is getting is truly clean - - not an easy task. While it may appear clean to the eye, it's not. My wife had been complaining about the windshield on her Q5. She said it was bad (interior) when in the rain. I spent an hour or so this past weekend cleaning the inside of the glass and then used a fine glass polish (applied with DA polisher) to get the outside clean. It is quite difficult to get the exterior glass clean and free of all that road film - - glass cleaners, no matter how many used, just smear the built-up mess around. The polisher + glass polish seems to do the trick. I then fitted new blades.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend a sealant on the windows. When it rains the water will sheet right off. I like the Carpro Hydro sealant. After you wash your windows just spray it on and rinse it. It also causes the wipers to not skip and work much better.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

No problem with the wipers, though I haven't had to use them often.

Quick Reply: Is it me or are the OEM wipers not good in the rain?