Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Front Plate Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I'm near Dallas and I run a front plate because I don't want to give the police a reason to pull me over. My mother was once pulled over by the local cops because it "looked like" her registration sticker had expired, even though it had not. However, given the number of Model 3s I see without front plates, it appears that the front plate law is effectively unenforceable at this point.
The burbs can be killer though. Cops are way more likely to pull you over there vs. Dallas-proper. But, seriously with the number of illegal paper tags around town and aggressive drivers, not having a front plate should be one of the cops last worry...unless the back plate is a paper tag with multiple applications of tape residue visible.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
The burbs can be killer though. Cops are way more likely to pull you over there vs. Dallas-proper. But, seriously with the number of illegal paper tags around town and aggressive drivers, not having a front plate should be one of the cops last worry...unless the back plate is a paper tag with multiple applications of tape residue visible.
Plano PD has a well-deserved reputation as mobile revenue collectors. Plano was also one of the most aggressive with installation of red light cameras before the state outlawed them. Thankfully, I left Plano, but still have to drive through it frequently.

I imagine that the Dallas PD has much more serious problems to worry about than front plates. Someone crashed into me a few years ago in Richardson and the Richardson cop mentioned that Dallas PD stopped responding to accidents unless traffic was blocked or an ambulance was required.

Last edited by JD15; 04-12-2022 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

NJ here. Bright blue car. No front plate. No issues. Heck it took my wife 18+ months to notice I didn't have a front plate.

In NJ, at least, it's a secondary offense, so they can't pull you over just for not having it.

More people than you realize just leave them off.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
Very close. Sto n sho - https://stonsho.com
lol there's both, this is the one i was thinking of https://www.pfyc.com/GN1046.html. i've seen the sto n sho before too, but yeah i knew i had the name lol. looks like the sto n go you just manually put it on and off, easy but manual removal. but the show n go has the fold in and out option, remote powered -

and for those saying they leave it off and just give the cop an excuse, i've seen many people say they do that, not the car wash story though, but they will just keep the front plate up by the windshield or somewhere in the car and just tell them that it fell off or something and they need to mount it, and just show the front plate. in the end it's gonna just depend on the cop if he still wants to give you a ticket for it or not. there's no real safe way to go about it, alot of variables, just be ready for that "sexy tax" like someone mentioned above lol, pay to play.

Last edited by Liquid Smoke; 04-12-2022 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 03:17 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,161 Likes on 1,384 Posts

@Liquid Smoke — I have had a friendly NJ State LEO tell me that he has seen high speed crashes where the driver had the cars front license plate wedged or laying on the dash and the crash was so violent that the license plate became a razor edged projectile in the cars cabin and did some massive damage to the occupant(s). In NJ, our plates are thin stamped aluminum - with very sharp edges — so I would caution anyone who runs with their front plate on the dash to blunt or pad those edges.

— John
Old 04-13-2022, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 595 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
@Liquid Smoke — I have had a friendly NJ State LEO tell me that he has seen high speed crashes where the driver had the cars front license plate wedged or laying on the dash and the crash was so violent that the license plate became a razor edged projectile in the cars cabin and did some massive damage to the occupant(s). In NJ, our plates are thin stamped aluminum - with very sharp edges — so I would caution anyone who runs with their front plate on the dash to blunt or pad those edges.

— John
That won't really help. A friend of mine is an EMS tech and he has seemingly endless horror stories about loose objects in a car embedding themselves into people or causing massive blunt force trauma during an accident. When you're talking about the forces involves, blunting the edges of a thin piece of sheet metal won't make a difference. Keep it in your glove box or under the seat if you want to keep it handy in the passenger compartment.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

when the car stops from 60-0 in an accident everything loose in the car accelerates to nearly 60mph. your phone could knock you out at 45mph...
Old 04-13-2022, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Someone crashed into me a few years ago in Richardson and the Richardson cop mentioned that Dallas PD stopped responding to accidents unless traffic was blocked or an ambulance was required.
That's pretty much the Houston PD policy as well.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

yea i agree on it being very dangerous on the dash. definitely put it on the backseat floor or glove box or something. or just leave it in the trunk and use the 'fell off' excuse.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,247 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid Smoke
yea i agree on it being very dangerous on the dash. definitely put it on the backseat floor or glove box or something. or just leave it in the trunk and use the 'fell off' excuse.
I think Audi purposely designed the glovebox so a "plate" would not fit, it's hard to get a pencil in there!

Quick Reply: Front Plate Opinion?