Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Dynamic Side Mirror Turn Signal Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 05:42 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts
Default Dynamic Side Mirror Turn Signal Retrofit

I replaced my side mirror turn signal lights with dynamic lights from AliExpress, about $20 for the pair, shipped. I haven’t seen the process documented here so here it is.

Remove Glass

- Tilt mirror up.

- Reach behind glass and gently pull. It will release.

- Disconnect all cables from glass mirror and put it aside.

Remove Black Trim

- Remove the 3 x T10 screws circled in red.

- Pull trim out and set aside.

Remove Mirror Cap

- Release the two tabs circled in red.

- Pull cap straight up, disconnect cable and set aside.

Remove Turn Signal Light Assembly

- Remove the 2 x T10 screws circled in red.

- Look at new turn signal assembly. There are three tabs circled in red. My car used two of them.

- With a small flat screwdriver, reach in and release the tabs.

- Pull assembly straight up and disconnect cable.

That’s it, put everything back together and it fits well:

The following 3 users liked this post by MH62:
angrycatmeowmeow (05-14-2022), ShiftyWolf (05-14-2022), TheNomad (06-09-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Good write up!
Old 05-14-2022, 05:47 PM
B9 S5 Sportback/4M Q7

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Hopefully they last more than a few months. I had a $5 coupon and the lights themselves were on sale too, so I paid like $12 shipped using the link in the first post. Definitely will be holding onto the OEM units as backups though.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:25 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by angrycatmeowmeow
Hopefully they last more than a few months. I had a $5 coupon and the lights themselves were on sale too, so I paid like $12 shipped using the link in the first post. Definitely will be holding onto the OEM units as backups though.
Got to wonder at $5 a piece, what are they made of and how do they make any money. But for now, they look good in the garage. I haven't checked in full sun yet.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by angrycatmeowmeow
I've had these installed for over a year. They work flawlessly and the material is of excellent quality and has held up to the elements. They look slick and blend in quite well with the side view housing. No complaints whatsoever.

Last edited by inphra; 05-14-2022 at 06:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MH62 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

I installed the Osram sequential indicators. I didn't want to mess around with the cheap alibaba ones.

You guys do know, you don't need to pull the glass, right? You only need to pop the exterior cap, point the mirror completely in towards the interior of the car, and then there is only one screw you need to get to behind the mirror - You can remove this screw without removing the mirror.

-DL
Old 05-16-2022, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by lensch09
I installed the Osram sequential indicators. I didn't want to mess around with the cheap alibaba ones.

You guys do know, you don't need to pull the glass, right? You only need to pop the exterior cap, point the mirror completely in towards the interior of the car, and then there is only one screw you need to get to behind the mirror - You can remove this screw without removing the mirror.

-DL
That would certainly make it easier. I guess the clips for the cap can be released with the glass in place?
Old 05-16-2022, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DaveSNJ
That would certainly make it easier. I guess the clips for the cap can be released with the glass in place?
Yes - But you need to be carful and work your way around the cap with plastic/interior pry tool.

I did all of this at the same time I installed my OEM CF caps.

-DL
DaveSNJ (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 145 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by lensch09

-DL
You know what, I remember reading about that and tried it myself but i wasn't familiar with the set up and I just used masking tape of the glass and have it an even tug and it popped right out and made the job much easier. I will say popping out the first mirror puckers you up lol. Nbd thereafter!
Nikon1 (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by inphra
You know what, I remember reading about that and tried it myself but i wasn't familiar with the set up and I just used masking tape of the glass and have it an even tug and it popped right out and made the job much easier. I will say popping out the first mirror puckers you up lol. Nbd thereafter!
Yeah - When I did my B8.5 S4, I pulled the mirror glass. Must have gotten even more lazy in the past 6-7 years, didn't think that was possible LOL

-DL

Quick Reply: Dynamic Side Mirror Turn Signal Retrofit