Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Door handle sensor sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Door handle sensor sensitivity

I’ve searched the internet and read the section in the manual on locking and unlocking using the door sensors and couldn’t find any info on what I’m observing. I came from a 2018 A4 and the door sensors would respond to my touch instantaneously when locking. In my new S5, I have to hold my finger on the lock sensor for about a second for it to get triggered. It’s the same on all doors and has been like that since day 1. Is there a way to adjust sensitivity?
Old 03-14-2024, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure about potential adjustments to the sensitivity timing, but confirming on my 2018 S5 SB, it's the same... need to place my finger on the lock sensor, and after a short delay (agree it's probably ~1 sec), you hear the sound that it's locked.

Also, you may or may not know, but one of my favorite features if that you can do this even when one of the other doors are still open (Eg. your kid, a passenger has opened the door, but hasn't exited yet) - you do it on your door, you hear the soft click that it's locking, but only after the open door/s have been closed do you hear the audible beep to confirm it's all locked (and for me, that my side mirrors start to fold in).
Old 03-14-2024, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Well at least it validates that maybe it’s normal. Just not used to standing around there with my finger on the sensor lol
I’ll have to check the feature you are talking about
Old 03-15-2024, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
Well at least it validates that maybe it’s normal. Just not used to standing around there with my finger on the sensor lol
You can just put the back of your hand up to the sensor. Still takes a second or so.
The following users liked this post:
garberfc (03-15-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 493 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
I am not aware of any ability to change response timings, but there are some aspects that influence response:
  • The system is needing to read the key which you have, somewhere, on your person. The transmitter/receiver in the car is communicating with the transmitter/receiver in the key. If the key is buried in a bag, or near a mobile phone, by example, that can delay the communication. If the keyfob battery is weak, or has a lousy connection, that can affect performance too.
  • The car slowly shuts down its electrical systems over a period of days, to avoid the 12 volt battery going flat. This can mean that the key proximity receiver has gone into sleep mode, and there will be a delay whilst it wakes up. But this normally takes a week or more, unless there is a battery issue.
Both my B9's are instant, unless I haven't used them for a while.
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (03-17-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just paid attention to locking my door on my 21 S5 and it's almost instantaneously. Considering how long 3 seconds are on Wheel of Fortune, it's way quicker that 1 second.